Worst band names ever!

Entre_Perpetuo

1. Hootie and the Blowfish

I just saw an interview with Darius Rucker the other day (they are touring this summer) where he said it's taken 25 years but people have finally quit calling him Hootie . . .

• Like 3

1. Hootie and the Blowfish

When asked about the origin of her band's name, Shirley Manson said, "Well, when we had to register a name for our band, the only two choices left on the official list were "Garbage" and "Hootie and The Blowfish". :laughing guy:

• Like 5

The Alan Parsons Project

HSAS

and maybe it's my bias, but names like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer make the band sound like a law firm. I expect to hear commercials promising to get me the disability insurance I'm owed (of course, if that were ELP, the commercials would be eight minutes long, with multiple parts . . . )

• Like 4

I tend to think a lot of the 90s and forward metal bands have the worst names, like "iced Earth." The names strike me as trying to sound so ponderous and "heavy." I suppose the same can be said about things like Black Sabbath though, so what do I know?

Iced Earth changed their name from Purgatory in 1985. The bands leader and main songwriter Jon Schaffer got it from his best friend who suggested it. When his friend died in a motorcycle accident, he decided to name the band that as a tribute to him.

• Like 1

I tend to think a lot of the 90s and forward metal bands have the worst names, like "iced Earth." The names strike me as trying to sound so ponderous and "heavy." I suppose the same can be said about things like Black Sabbath though, so what do I know?

Iced Earth changed their name from Purgatory in 1985. The bands leader and main songwriter Jon Schaffer got it from his best friend who suggested it. When his friend died in a motorcycle accident, he decided to name the band that as a tribute to him.

Also Iced Earth is such a cool sounding name, and a great band.

Meh, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest...I rank the band and their name alongside these two.

• Like 1

Bands better than their names:

Goo Goo Dolls

Toad the Wet Sprocket (not all Monty Python references work)

Echo and the Bunnymen

Echo and the Bunnymen is a great band with a kind of unfortunate choice of names. Their first four albums (through Ocean Rain) are excellent, esp Porcupine and Ocean Rain. The name though inclines one to take them less seriously, if you didn't know their music.

Before becoming Velvet Underground at the recommendation of Andy Warhol (so I've read), Falling Spike and Warlock were considered for names. Ouch. I have to think they wouldn't have been quite as legendary with either of those.

Also, in between The New Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin, Page had considered some name that was really, amazingly awful, I just don't remember what it was. Dodged a bullet when Keith Moon suggested a more inspired name.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

The Alan Parsons Project

HSAS

and maybe it's my bias, but names like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer make the band sound like a law firm. I expect to hear commercials promising to get me the disability insurance I'm owed (of course, if that were ELP, the commercials would be eight minutes long, with multiple parts . . . )

"The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft." (at 1:26) I love the name of the record store, "Suicide Notes, FORMERLY GOOD VIBRATIONS" :rfl:

http://youtu.be/YXKmsvRXE4A

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

I tend to think a lot of the 90s and forward metal bands have the worst names, like "iced Earth." The names strike me as trying to sound so ponderous and "heavy."

:yes:
  • Like 1

Also Iced Earth is such a cool sounding name, and a great band.

Meh, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest...I rank the band and their name alongside these two.

There are far worse names than Iced Earth. Between The Buried and Me, Cattle Decapitation, Pissing Razors, Anal c***. Iced Earth doesn't sound that bad. At least it's marketable.

• Like 2

I like the name Iced Earth.

It's just as metal sounding of a name as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden if you ask me.

What about Metallica? A metal band with the word "metal" in their name. How lame is that? lol.

Lame? Nope, it's genius.

Agreed, but I get the argument haha

I like the name Iced Earth.

It's just as metal sounding of a name as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden if you ask me.

I've known Iced Earth about as long as I've known metal.

Never in my life heard anyone describe their name as bad.

They are a terrific band, sorely underrated, but they didn't sustain a decades long career with a high profile for nothing.

• Like 1