soa_mmxx_cover_1000-740x740.jpg

KGPhBN5bM6zdywiJFUYCyU-970-80.jpg

Sons Of Apollo have announced the release of their second album, MMXX. The album (pronounced '20/20') is the follow-up to debut Psychotic Symphony, and will be released on January 17.

The album will be released as a standard CD package, as a limited edition 2 CD set – including instrumental mixes and a cappella excerpts – and as a double vinyl plus CD package, and on all digital formats.

The band, in which drummer Mike Portnoy and keyboardist Derek Sherinian are joined by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Billy Sheehan and Jeff Scott Soto, have also announced a European tour for March, in addition to the already-announced run of North American dates in January. New dates below.

"Stylistically, we have followed the same path as the debut, says drummer Portnoy. "But we feel that it has come out stronger, simply because we know one another better.

"Psychotic Symphony was the first time the five of us had worked together, so there was bound to be an air of experimentation happening. Now, we can draw on having the experience not only of recording that album, but also of touring together a lot. And now there is clearly a lot more obvious chemistry going on.”

He continues: "It took about three weeks to get all the music written. That was a very smooth process. The last time, it certainly must have felt a little weird for Bumblefoot to be writing with Derek and me, because we were strangers to him. Now, we know one another better and that helped things push along."

"Because we all have our home studios, it meant everyone could record there as and when they had opportunity," adds Sherinian. "We all had the luxury of being able to take our time to get all the parts done, which was a huge help in the way the album's come out. I suppose in all, it took about eight months to record everything."

Here's the track listing for "MMXX":

01. Goodbye Divinity (7:16)

02. Wither To Black (4:48)

03. Asphyxiation (5:09)

04. Desolate July (6:11)

05. King Of Delusion (8:49)

06. Fall To Ascend (5:07)

07. Resurrection Day (5:51)

08. New World Today (16:38)

Sons Of Apollo European Tour

Mar 02: Drammen Union Scene, Norway

Mar 03: Gothenburg Traedgarn, Sweden

Mar 05: Kyiv N.A.U Theatre, Ukraine

Mar 07: Moscow RED, Russia

Mar 09: St Petersburg Aurora, Russia

Mar 10: Pratteln Z7, Switzerland

Mar 11: Milan Live Club, Italy

Mar 13: Bilbao Santana 27, Spain

Mar 14: Barcelona Razzmatazz 2, Spain

Mar 15: Madrid La Riviera, Spain

Mar 19: London Islington Assembly Hall, U.K.

Mar 20: Eindhoven Prognosis Festival, Netherlands

Mar 22: Show Brno Sono, Czech Republic

Mar 24: Kosice Colosseum, Slovakia

Mar 25: Budapest Barba Negra, Hungary

vwBn3URHgLL7U4pytooadM-650-80.jpg

Band-Photo-Sons-Of-Apollo1-copy.jpg

• Like 1

We'll see. First one wasn't that great. The second one will have to be pretty good for me to catch the show live.

The live CD/DVD isn't bad though. Could be their last album.

Yeah Portnoy won't have time for this with his 75 other bands, he's looking to start another 5 in 2020. Him and George Lynch are battling to reach the elusive 100 bands mark before 2025. It's just a matter of time but which one will get there first? Lynch's new band Dirty Shirley puts him at 79 right now, and counting...it's neck and neck!

• Like 1

Great band. Their live album and DVD from Poland is amazing. The cover tunes they did are also insanely good.

Too bad the closet they are coming to Florida is PA.

My son and I enjoyed their debut album immensely.

• Like 2

i'll try this. even though i felt the first was a dud. but that was only one album.

Mick

The tune Labyrinth alone was worth the price of admission bro!!!! Incredible tune.

• Like 1

Well....It is OK on first listen. Not nearly as good as the debut IMO at this point. But it was only one listen.

Nothing really grabbed me on the first go around except Fall To Ascend which is an absolute beast of a tune, Goodbye Divinity and Desolute July. I need to listen more. There is a lot going on. But I also had this reaction to the debut and after 4-5 listens it really started clicking more.

Nope. this band officially does zero for me. the new one is more over stuffed prog-metal. and not good over stuffed Prog/metal, lol bland easily forgettable.

So i'll leave it's fans too it. if this moves you......cool.

Mick

I saw them last April with David Ellefson on bass that night. Great musicianship. Album is quite good, with some generic tracks (like who doesn't do that these days!?) and some stand outs. I especially enjoyed the 16 minute closing track New World Today. Don't expect DT it's not, but really some brilliant talent coming together and it shows. The live album is really good especially the cover songs.

I saw them last April with David Ellefson on bass that night. Great musicianship. Album is quite good, with some generic tracks (like who doesn't do that these days!?) and some stand outs. I especially enjoyed the 16 minute closing track New World Today. Don't expect DT it's not, but really some brilliant talent coming together and it shows. The live album is really good especially the cover songs.

Where was Billy Sheehan? Was he too busy talking about not turning down the Van Halen gig in the 80's?

• Like 2

Where was Billy Sheehan? Was he too busy talking about not turning down the Van Halen gig in the 80's?

My bad. Getting my Mile Portnoy bands mixed up. it was actually a Metal Allegiance show.

My bad. Getting my Mile Portnoy bands mixed up. it was actually a Metal Allegiance show.

How do you like those Metal Allegiance albums??

They are ok. Side project for many it seems. I hadn't seen Portnoy in a long while. They had alot of guest singers including Chuck Billy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LBI9RnVUOM

• Like 1

They are ok. Side project for many it seems. I hadn't seen Portnoy in a long while. They had alot of guest singers including Chuck Billy.....

I have the albums I think they're pretty good.

There's another one with Portnoy and Bobby Blitz, they have an album out later in the year but I think it's just a covers album.

I have the albums I think they're pretty good.

There's another one with Portnoy and Bobby Blitz, they have an album out later in the year but I think it's just a covers album.

Yeah, they like doing a lot of covers, and they share the stage with so many musicians. Recently they had Dave Lombardo (another of my favorite drummers) playing with them at a LA show.

Edited by jc4gd