Recommend a Movie

physics23

Next time you see a really great movie, don't keep it to yourself. I sometimes feel like I've exhausted the supply of good movies in the world, but it's much more likely I just haven't heard of all the good ones. You can either start a thread for it, add it to this list for future reference - or both.

I'll start.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/amirror/white.jpg

White Squall, 1996

With Jeff Bridges and Caroline Goodall.

Directed by Ridley Scott.

Basically, a group of young guys heads out to sea as part of a coming of age voyage. But this isn't your regular battle-the-storms, save-the-ship-from-sinking movie. There's a complex character dynamic aboard the vessel, and a secret. Great acting, adventure scenes that grip you, brilliant ending.

White Squall was indeed a good flick, Physics23

Here's my Movie of the Week:

DownFall

As one critic said, "Bruno Ganz *is* Hitler". Watching his performance alone is riveting and worth a rental. But the rest of the movie is dead-on and incredibly well-made portrayal of the last days of Hitler.

It is a bit harsh in spots, (but not as much as Schindler's List was) Due to this kids should likely not watch it. That said, I thought the writers did a magnificent job of telling the story without focusing on the morbid aspects of it.

Also amazing is the fact that the country responsible for this tragic part of history are the ones who made this film and add to it's authenticity.

You simply cannot go through life without taking in this film.

cool.gif

Schro

Edited by Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Oct 17 2005, 11:52 AM)

DownFall

As one critic said, "Bruno Ganz *is* Hitler".  Watching his performance alone is riveting and worth a rental.  But the rest of the movie is dead-on and incredibly well-made portrayal of the last days of Hitler.

It is a bit harsh in spots, (but not as much as Schindler's List was)  Due to this kids should likely not watch it.  That said, I thought the writers did a magnificent job of telling the story without focusing on the morbid aspects of it.

Also amazing is the fact that the country responsible for this tragic part of history are the ones who made this film and add to it's authenticity.

cool.gif

Schro

I almost rented Downfall last week...next time I go rent some flicks I'll be sure to check this one out... cool.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

DownFall

As one critic said, "Bruno Ganz *is* Hitler". Watching his performance alone is riveting and worth a rental. But the rest of the movie is dead-on and incredibly well-made portrayal of the last days of Hitler.

It is a bit harsh in spots, (but not as much as Schindler's List was) Due to this kids should likely not watch it. That said, I thought the writers did a magnificent job of telling the story without focusing on the morbid aspects of it.

cool.gif

Schro

Great movie. Go see it at once!!

DownFall

As one critic said, "Bruno Ganz *is* Hitler".  Watching his performance alone is riveting and worth a rental.  But the rest of the movie is dead-on and incredibly well-made portrayal of the last days of Hitler.

It is a bit harsh in spots, (but not as much as Schindler's List was)  Due to this kids should likely not watch it.  That said, I thought the writers did a magnificent job of telling the story without focusing on the morbid aspects of it.

cool.gif

Schro

Man, I just got goosebumps big-time!

As a matter of fact, I still have them as I am writing this reply.

I just saw this exactly 3 nights ago and it was extraordinary. I wholeheartedly agree with you, Schro, one simply CANNOT go through life without seeing this amazing film.

In addition to Bruno Ganz's portrayal of Hitler, that young lass who played his personal secratary was SO good. Alexandra Maria Paul I think her name was. Something like that anyway.

You're right. It's amazing that this is a German film. I for one was actually a little surprised at the very negative light they threw upon Speers and Goebbles even if they did kind of give Hitler a little velvet glove treatment. I mean they did kind of humanize him, but boy did they ever lay into Eva Braun (great job of showing what a nutbug she was) and Goebbles wife. Mrs. Goebbles was a complete monster and shames all other fictional stereotypes. I would not recommend this movie to females for that reason.

It was absolutely mesmerizing and well-researched. I went to the library afterwards and saw the bunker in detail and they were spot on!

Great mention! I was thinking about starting a thread about this movie but figured maybe no-one had seen it.

You and I have at least and we can count ourselves among the fortunate ones.

Edited by war2112

I started an entire thread based on it, but I'll say it again.

40-year-old Virgin, funniest movie to come out in a long, long time. If you haven't seen it, catch it before it's theater run is done.

True Romance

Written by Quentin Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott.

Starring: Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Seizemore, Chris Penn, James Gandolfini, and more...

It's your story of boy meets girl, only girl's a hooker...