Umpires and refs suck more these days because.....

lerxt1990

1. They actually suck more and technology (slow mo, strike zone box) lets us be very aware of it

2. The game is faster and harder to officiate

3. I'm an old curmudgeonly bastard with little tolerance and patience and just hate for hate's sake

???

Other explanations?

• Like 2

Technology and social media 24/7 Sports coverage on TV and radio mean mistakes get amplified. I don't they're any worse than they've always been. We just see it more clearly and talk about it longer.

There's never been a definitive camera shot of the Immaculate Reception, and most people think it hit the ground before Harris grabbed it. Don Denkinger blew the call in the '85 World Series. Imagine those things happening today. They'd be challenged and overturned, most likely.

• Like 3

Technology and social media 24/7 Sports coverage on TV and radio mean mistakes get amplified. I don't they're any worse than they've always been. We just see it more clearly and talk about it longer.

There's never been a definitive camera shot of the Immaculate Reception, and most people think it hit the ground before Harris grabbed it. Don Denkinger blew the call in the '85 World Series. Imagine those things happening today. They'd be challenged and overturned, most likely.

Blasphemy about the immaculate reception! :LOL: But aside from that, I agree with you. There are so many cameras and so many angles we get to view plays/pitches from; it's easy to forget that the refs and umps only have one pair of eyes viewing whatever is going on.

That being said, there have seemed to be a lot of NFL calls that were off so far this year.

• Like 2

1. They actually suck more and technology (slow mo, strike zone box) lets us be very aware of it

3. I'm an old curmudgeonly bastard with little tolerance and patience and just hate for hate's sake

???

Other explanations?

I'm wondering if refs and umps are a little lazier now, but not consciously lazy. In the back of their minds they know that the replay is there to correct the call if they're wrong, so maybe they're not bearing down as hard on that play at first base, or on an offsides call.

• Like 4

???

Other explanations?

I'm wondering if refs and umps are a little lazier now, but not consciously lazy. In the back of their minds they know that the replay is there to correct the call if they're wrong, so maybe they're not bearing down as hard on that play at first base, or on an offsides call.

This.

I'm fact, it's been said that they err on the side that COULD get overturned by replay, like the ruling of a turnover, which is automatically subject to replay, often against the ruling they would have made had there been no replay.

This is a problem when so many of the calls are ruled "stands as called".

• Like 2

Blasphemy about the immaculate reception! :LOL: But aside from that, I agree with you. There are so many cameras and so many angles we get to view plays/pitches from; it's easy to forget that the refs and umps only have one pair of eyes viewing whatever is going on.

That being said, there have seemed to be a lot of NFL calls that were off so far this year.

The NFL is a crooked league. Tons of bullshit calls always go against the Lions. I can't remember a call they 'got away with'. The Patriots? Pffft...they're so far up Goodell's ass they can see out his throat. Put a skirt on Brady and Rodgers because no one can dare touch them.

Officials still can't consistently rule what a catch is and what pass interference is. But they blow an obvious PI last year that cost the Saints the superbowl appearance.

NBA refs always favor the stars...they can get away with murder. No excuse for baseball umpires blowing so many calls. NHL is just too fast a game for humans to call.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

"[in 2017] There were 660 overturned calls among 1,395 video reviews (47.31 percent), the commissioner's office said Sunday. The total included 318 replays that confirmed the call on the field (22.8 percent) and 401 in which the call stood because there was not enough evidence to overturn it (28.7 percent). In addition, 11 reviews were used for rules checks and five for record keeping.

In 2016, 757 of 1,502 reviews led to overturned calls (50.4 percent). There were 347 confirmed (23.1 percent) and 384 in which the call stood (25.6 percent) plus nine for rules checks and five for record keeping."

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

Most sports have more teams than ever, which means more games than ever, which means more refs than ever. I remember the NHL in the seventies and I knew most of the refs by name and they were mostly all top notch. Now there are so many teams that the level of quality of the refs has gone down because they have no choice but choosing some refs who are not as qualified, I couldn't name one ref in the NHL these days.

Most sports have more teams than ever, which means more games than ever, which means more refs than ever. I remember the NHL in the seventies and I knew most of the refs by name and they were mostly all top notch. Now there are so many teams that the level of quality of the refs has gone down because they have no choice but choosing some refs who are not as qualified, I couldn't name one ref in the NHL these days.

Only one I remember by name was Leon Stickle. Blind m=therf-cker. :)

• Like 1

I can remember Bob Hodges and John D'Amico and they were both top notch.

No Andy van Hellemond? I'm not even a huge fan and I remember him.

• Like 1

No Andy van Hellemond? I'm not even a huge fan and I remember him.

Oh yeah, I remember him also. You see, I can not name one today. I think the fact that they did not wear helmets also makes them more memorable because you got to know their faces better. Edited by snowdogged

Not to mention just the existence of HD television. We see so much more detail in a game than we did just 15 years ago.

The million dollar question is why the world of sports is so slow to utilize technology to get the right call. If we can see it, so can they. We need sky judges to compliment the refs on the field. There should be a team of officials seeing every camera angle live and making second reviews on the officiating in real time.

• Like 2

Not to mention just the existence of HD television. We see so much more detail in a game than we did just 15 years ago.

The million dollar question is why the world of sports is so slow to utilize technology to get the right call. If we can see it, so can they. We need sky judges to compliment the refs on the field. There should be a team of officials seeing every camera angle live and making second reviews on the officiating in real time.

Bryant Gumbel said on one of his shows that highlighted all the mistakes umps make that their mistakes are part of the game; which is one of the stupidest things I ever heard.

• Like 1

In some ways, possibly. But it can also be taken too far. The Bruins lost a game a few weeks ago because the opposing coach challenged a goal, claiming the puck was brought in offside. It took almost 40 seconds between the time the puck entered the zone before the Bruins scored. They then reviewed it on the challenge for 5 minutes, before overturning the call. Replay is only supposed to o return clear and obvious errors. Blowing a picture up past the point the pixels can resolve it to look for a millimeter of white ice, or sideline is not what it was meant for.

You want that multiple times a game, every game?

Bryant Gumbel said on one of his shows that highlighted all the mistakes umps make that their mistakes are part of the game; which is one of the stupidest things I ever heard.

Gumbel is a moron in that aspect, and needs to STFU.
  • Like 1

No words after the first four were necessary. I've hated that guy ever since he picked Marquette, UCLA, and Michigan to beat the 32-0 Indiana Hoosiers in 1976. f**k you, asshole.

• Like 3

No words after the first four were necessary. I've hated that guy ever since he picked Marquette, UCLA, and Michigan to beat the 32-0 Indiana Hoosiers in 1976. f**k you, asshole.

lol thats awesome.
  • Like 2