After 9 years...who's better Mike Portnoy or Mike Mangini?

treeduck

Who's the better drummer Portnoy or Mangini?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better Portnoy or Mangini?

• Portnoy
    • Mangini
    • I think Mangini is a better overall drummer but Portnoy's drumming with DT is better
    • I think Mangini is better in DT but Portnoy is the man!
    • I don't know they seem about the same level

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Mangini's drumming in Dream Theater. I'm no drumming expert, and I know people say Mangini has the better technique, but Portnoy seems like the better overall drummer to my ears and I prefer his drumming in DT. I never was all that impressed with Mangini in other situations either really, like his stints with Extreme and Steve Vai, sorry Mike. What do you think?

Mangini is better in terms of technique and ability.

Portnoy is better at showing off.

And Marco Minnemann kicks both their asses.

http://www.guitarmania.eu/images/guitarmania/Marco%20Minnemann%20selfie.png

They rejected Marco in the auditions, which were filmed and made available before the official decision was announced. I think though that they'd already chosen Mangini before the process even started so the whole thing was a sham for publicity.

• Like 1

They rejected Marco in the auditions, which were filmed and made available before the official decision was announced. I think though that they'd already chosen Mangini before the process even started so the whole thing was a sham for publicity.

I got the impression that it was pretty much a toss-up between them, and that Mangini got the nod because he recreated Portnoy's drum parts.

Marco wore a Cookie Monster t-shirt to the audition, so that probably lost him a few points. If he showed up in a leather vest with a crow on his shoulder, he definitely would've got the gig. :P

• Like 2

I got the impression that it was pretty much a toss-up between them, and that Mangini got the nod because he recreated Portnoy's drum parts.

Marco wore a Cookie Monster t-shirt to the audition, so that probably lost him a few points. If he showed up in a leather vest with a crow on his shoulder, he definitely would've got the gig. :P

Or a bandana and a fake blue beard.

• Like 1

I think Portnoy’s more spontaneous and iconic, like a cross between Peart, Phil Collins, and Lombardo or someone like that. That said, Mangini is sick. He can play anything Portnoy can, and just as well. I’m just not sure he can usually write a drum part at the same level.
  • Like 2

Mangini is technically much better, but we miss the spontaneity of Portnoy. Also, there's a sense of nostalgia for a time when a new DT album impressed the hell out of the fans - that feeling is gone now if you've been following them for a long time like me. But I also found that lately Portnoy has become increasingly lazy with his drum parts. Check out the tour he did under the moniker Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress - he's a lot less precise in the DT stuff than before. It's still a joy to see him play, but he's not the same player as before.

Marco Minneman simply didn't want the gig enough for the DT guys to offer him the role.

Now that i'm awake. my proper answer is i prefer Mangini. however Portnoy did bring a flair and showmanship that is missed in their live shows. and i will never take away that he was HUGE in shaping one of my fav bands. saying that as ac fan who came on board in 97 and saw a LOT of releases. i don't knot miss that Portnoy dominated period where he was asserting his will more. and the Chaos documentary shows portnoy just taking the reigns......and i have to say everybody looked miserable, lol

when Portnoy left on Dramatic turn. you could almost HEAR a band breathing again. And they went on too make the self titled.....which is top 5 DT for me.

and now i never want Portnoy back. Mangini has cemented himself in DT for me. They made a mistep with TA (which is ok it happens) but they came back rather strong with Distance over Time.

so i respect Portnoy but his ego overtook the band. and i don't really miss him.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I was losing interest in DT anyways and after MP left i said f@ckkk it.

Mangini played for vai. Enough said. Saw him play for vai fwiw.

MP was a great improviser and had real chemistry with petrucci.

Better together than apart. Kinda like van halen where the fans and the band lose after the key members fight

Weird this pops up, since I just saw DT this past Monday (I had plans to tape, but couldn't get my batteries past the metal detector. That was the first time that happened).

I DO feel like Mangini maybe doesn't quite have the onstage energy with his body, but as a player he is no slouch.

Edited because I can't seem to comprehend. In rereading, I am with bluefox on this.

Edited by 78jazz
  • Like 1

Question I've been struggling with since diving deeper into the latest DT album. In DT, Portnoy is playing on most of my favorite material. It's unfair to Mangini who's certainly a top tier drummer, who possibly by sheer timing isn't getting the nod he perhaps should. Objectively, the drumming on the new album fits and is on par with the caliber playing we expected from Portnoy. So it's a toss up between the two if asking "which drummer is better overall". Mangini plays fast and accurately, Portnoy had a certain feel in many of the songs that I see reflected in the comments here as 'being a better songwriter'.

Mangini is technically better. The guy is a machine and overall i like him in DT.

I do like Portnoy's playing. He's almost as good as Mangini, but has more feeling and swing. Plus the comedy and presence he added to DT, hasn't really been replaced.

Now that i'm awake. my proper answer is i prefer Mangini. however Portnoy did bring a flair and showmanship that is missed in their live shows. and i will never take away that he was HUGE in shaping one of my fav bands. saying that as ac fan who came on board in 97 and saw a LOT of releases. i don't knot miss that Portnoy dominated period where he was asserting his will more. and the Chaos documentary shows portnoy just taking the reigns......and i have to say everybody looked miserable, lol

when Portnoy left on Dramatic turn. you could almost HEAR a band breathing again. And they went on too make the self titled.....which is top 5 DT for me.

and now i never want Portnoy back. Mangini has cemented himself in DT for me. They made a mistep with TA (which is ok it happens) but they came back rather strong with Distance over Time.

so i respect Portnoy but his ego overtook the band. and i don't really miss him.

Mick

I for one miss the 'Eat my ass and balls' days.