2019-2020 College Basketball Thread

Nova Carmina

Hey, 78jazz, any thoughts on the Sunflower Showdown throwdown?

That was some wild and crazy stuff. Who intentionally fouls a guy going for a last second lay-up when you're winning by nineteen? Move on, dude!

https://www.google.c...tate-brawl/amp/

In a related story, there apparently was an incident in November where Kansas was on the receiving end of some poor sportsmanship. Vs Monmouth in November, Kansas was dribbling out the ball at the end of a blowout win when a Monmouth player stole the ball and drove the length of the floor for a dunk. He then proceeded to taunt UK players.

No brawl, though.

I hate the University of Kentucky Wildcats as much as anyone, but that's really out of place... ;)

I think you meant KU...But still, taunting after getting blown out? SMH

• Like 2

That was some wild and crazy stuff. Who intentionally fouls a guy going for a last second lay-up when you're winning by nineteen? Move on, dude!

In a related story, there apparently was an incident in November where Kansas was on the receiving end of some poor sportsmanship. Vs Monmouth in November, Kansas was dribbling out the ball at the end of a blowout win when a Monmouth player stole the ball and drove the length of the floor for a dunk. He then proceeded to taunt UK players.

No brawl, though.

Yeah, whoa, let's not get UK -- which is a cool place -- confused with KU -- which is in Kansas!

• Like 1

No brawl, though.

I hate the University of Kentucky Wildcats as much as anyone, but that's really out of place... ;)

I think you meant KU...But still, taunting after getting blown out? SMH

My first look. The steal is a crap move, the block understandable...then DeSousa goes too far. A chair?!?

Edited by goose

Duke has lost 2 in a row. Down they go (in the rankings) but they are easily the media darlings and will probably only drop 4-5 spots.

#4 Auburn and #5 Butler also lost their last two. :eh:

The Dookies dropped 5 spots, Auburn 12, and Butler 8. Auburn only has 2 losses but the other two have 3. I f***ing hate Duke.

• Like 2

Duke has lost 2 in a row. Down they go (in the rankings) but they are easily the media darlings and will probably only drop 4-5 spots.

The Dookies dropped 5 spots, Auburn 12, and Butler 8. Auburn only has 2 losses but the other two have 3. I f***ing hate Duke.

I don't like Duke either, and butler is my second favorite team, but..

Butler has lost 3 in a row, one of Duke's losses was to the 6th ranked team and the other was by 7, while Auburn's 2 losses were by 19 am 22 to unranked teams.

Duke is #2 in the completely analytics based kenpom ratings while Butler is 15th, and Auburn 27th

Why anyone cares about the AP ratings is a mystery to me. They are completely subjective, vestiges of a bygone era and have no bearing whatsoever on anything.

Why anyone cares about the AP ratings is a mystery to me. They are completely subjective, vestiges of a bygone era and have no bearing whatsoever on anything.

Granted, but you don't think they impact perceptions, and thus possibly NCAA tournament seeding? Media coverage -- recruiting -- etc.?

• Like 1

Granted, but you don't think they impact perceptions, and thus possibly NCAA tournament seeding? Media coverage -- recruiting -- etc.?

Imperceptibly. Maybe 15-20 years ago these would be enough to care about because of the relative dearth of other information, but not nowadays with the net rankings and kenpom.

Butler has lost 3 in a row, one of Duke's losses was to the 6th ranked team and the other was by 7, while Auburn's 2 losses were by 19 am 22 to unranked teams.

Duke is #2 in the completely analytics based kenpom ratings while Butler is 15th, and Auburn 27th

It's not enough for you to suck the fun out of major league baseball?

:LOL:

It's not enough for you to suck the fun out of major league baseball?

:LOL:

Numbers and analytics are the fun...

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

• Like 1

I don't care about any of the polls except the last one (their drop was the same in the UPI poll). I was simply showing how the voters and media love them and treat them differently than they do the "mid-majors". Same for Kansas, Kentucky, etc. If they have no bearing, why have them?

I don't care about any of the polls except the last one (their drop was the same in the UPI poll). I was simply showing how the voters and media love them and treat them differently than they do the "mid-majors". Same for Kansas, Kentucky, etc. If they have no bearing, why have them?

They're anachronisms. Just use the net rankings at this point, they're what the committee used anyway.

Indiana absolutely blew it at the end versus Maryland. They had the lead; all they had to do was run clock and not take quick 3s. Ugh.

f**k the Terps.

The key was taking a quick three by a mediocre shooter up 7 with less than three to go, and throwing the ball to a non ball handler up 4 with a minute to go setting up Md 3.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Indiana absolutely blew it at the end versus Maryland. They had the lead; all they had to do was run clock and not take quick 3s. Ugh.

f**k the Terps.

The key was taking a quick three by a mediocre shooter up 7 with less than three to go, and throwing the ball to a non ball handler up 4 with a minute to go setting up Md 3.

Yep. I wonder if the word got out about Kobe and they lost focus? They had it in the bag, right after the alley oop. I hate Maryland.

f**k the Terps.

Yep. I wonder if the word got out about Kobe and they lost focus? They had it in the bag, right after the alley oop. I hate Maryland.

They didn't know till after the game, according to their post game comments.

2 1/2 pages and no one said a word about Gonzaga? C'mon!

(I grew up in Spokane though I attended and played at a different Jesuit University, Seattle U.)

Yeah, it's hard to believe there wasn't more buzz about their 33 point win over Pacific.

• Like 1

(I grew up in Spokane though I attended and played at a different Jesuit University, Seattle U.)

Yeah, it's hard to believe there wasn't more buzz about their 33 point win over Pacific.

5 straight Sweet 16s. No one else has done that. Not Duke, not Kansas, not Kentucky. Not anyone.

5 straight Sweet 16s. No one else has done that. Not Duke, not Kansas, not Kentucky. Not anyone.

But, like most non-blue blood schools, they don't get the respect they deserve. In the polls (I KNOW!) they dropped them to #2 and moved Baylor up even though they both won which seems odd since Baylor isn't much of a basketball school in the first place. In fact, in the 2019 Tournament, they lost to

wait for it

Gonzaga in the 2nd round.

• Like 2

I do respect the consistency Gonzaga has reached, and I have other, non-serious reasons to support them (friends who attended, oldest Led Zep bootleg recorded there), but I usually wait until tourney time to check them out, since their competition out west isn't what some other programs deal with. The Sweet Sixteen appearances do speak well to their ability to take on all comers, but it's a little early to get excited.

I just saw this. I am unsure what you are referring to. I don't keep up with college basketball, as the bore is intense.

• Like 1

I just saw this. I am unsure what you are referring to. I don't keep up with college basketball, as the bore is intense.

The fight in the Kansas game.

It has been reported that Bob Knight will be returning to Assembly Hall for today's game between Indiana and Purdue to honor the 1980 Big Ten Championship team.
  • Like 2