Your favorite Frank Sinatra song?

Texas King

Tex, where have you been? I was going to send you a pm to see what happened to you. Good to see you.

You know, for the first almost 40 of my 65 years, he was alive. I worked with a girl in the 70's who adored him. I remember her buying tickets to his concert and him canceling at the last minute. Having been raised on sixties' music, Frankie was prehistoric music to me back then.

However, today, I love him and find his voice very soothing. I can't listen to a lot of his music though because it makes me think of when I was a little girl and life was very different. In short, it causes me too much emotional pain.

I would say my favorite song is this:

http://youtu.be/qVyYXu7RSNI

i can't listen to it though.

It breaks me to pieces inside.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

My favorite Sinatra song is 'Strangers In The Night'.

When I was a kid growing up, I used to get this song title mixed up with 'Stranger In My House' by Ronnie Milsap.

Then I realized they were two different songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTOeRwIUnG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xN6Vdz-dN4

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

New York New York is a great sing along, and I've seen it bring people together like no other in countless gatherings. I'll choose it over many other great songs for that reason.
  • Like 1

New York New York is a great sing along, and I've seen it bring people together like no other in countless gatherings. I'll choose it over many other great songs for that reason.

I forgot about that song completely. We used to sing that all the time in Molly Mogs Pub on 55th Street every time someone played it on the juke box.

• Like 1

The Way You Look Tonight will probably always be my favorite.

Night and Day, the Cole Porter song, I love Sinatra’s version.

Come Fly with Me is another great one...and In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.

Off the top of my head, those are the ones, in that order.

• Like 2

The Way You Look Tonight and New York, New York would be my top except there is another that's my dad's favorite. I associate it so much with him that's it's become my favorite- One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3jHr5JbTeRY

• Like 2

Tex, where have you been? I was going to send you a pm to see what happened to you. Good to see you.

You know, for the first almost 40 of my 65 years, he was alive. I worked with a girl in the 70's who adored him. I remember her buying tickets to his concert and him canceling at the last minute. Having been raised on sixties' music, Frankie was prehistoric music to me back then.

However, today, I love him and find his voice very soothing. I can't listen to a lot of his music though because it makes me think of when I was a little girl and life was very different. In short, it causes me too much emotional pain.

This is a great choice. Probably would be mine too.

Come Fly With Me and My Way are pretty obvious choices, but I have always dug 'em.

He does wonderful Christmas songs too. I have both Sinatra and Rat Pack Christmas albums and they each got several spins over the holidays. His Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is simply top shelf.

My dad was a swing drummer in WWII, so a lot of this music and general big band stuff was in my vocabulary early on in life. He's been gone just over 10 years now, so listening to Francis Albert reminds me of my own Francis Albert (my dad's name). My dad, while entirely the wrong generation for rock, never lost the drummer inside, however. Man, I would play some Rush and he just DUG the crap out of Neil. He had such an admiration and respect for many of the rock drummers and their styles, but none more so than Peart. It ultimately may not have been his music, but he always stopped to appreciate the talent...

• Like 3

Come Fly With Me and My Way are pretty obvious choices, but I have always dug 'em.

He does wonderful Christmas songs too. I have both Sinatra and Rat Pack Christmas albums and they each got several spins over the holidays. His Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is simply top shelf.

My dad was a swing drummer in WWII, so a lot of this music and general big band stuff was in my vocabulary early on in life. He's been gone just over 10 years now, so listening to Francis Albert reminds me of my own Francis Albert (my dad's name). My dad, while entirely the wrong generation for rock, never lost the drummer inside, however. Man, I would play some Rush and he just DUG the crap out of Neil. He had such an admiration and respect for many of the rock drummers and their styles, but none more so than Peart. It ultimately may not have been his music, but he always stopped to appreciate the talent...

Thank you for sharing, that’s fantastic. I love hearing about things like that.

One of my great uncles played the upright bass in Stan Kenton’s Big Band for a little while, in the same time period, very early 1940s.

He was quite a character, and I’ve thought sometimes about how he really would have dug Geddy, too.

Thank you for sharing, that’s fantastic. I love hearing about things like that.

One of my great uncles played the upright bass in Stan Kenton’s Big Band for a little while, in the same time period, very early 1940s.

He was quite a character, and I’ve thought sometimes about how he really would have dug Geddy, too.

Amen to that. Cheers.

"My Way," I guess. I'm a bit of a Sinatra philistine, but one of my favorite teachers in high school used to play that song and quote it; he said it was his personal philosophy, so whenever I hear it, I think of him.
  • Like 1