Neil Peart When He Was Not So Grumpy

chemistry1973

However what's not mentioned is that there was tension with the sessions for Signals with Terry Brown, especially during the recording of 'Digital Man'. See related article below.

The Albums That Saved PROG: Signals

Signals was his last album as producer with the band. See related article below.

Rush - Rise Of The New World Men

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

However what's not mentioned is that there was tension with the sessions for Signals with Terry Brown, especially during the recording of 'Digital Man'. See related article below.

The Albums That Saved PROG: Signals

Signals was his last album as producer with the band. See related article below.

Rush - Rise Of The New World Men

I thought peart did a good job of suggesting that their was a struggle with Broon- but kept it pretty light hearted. And perhaps at the time of writing the tourbook passage, there weren't plans for Broon to leave.

Perhaps Broon quit?

Happy times for the band. Really enjoyed this. From the Signals tour book.

http://www.2112.net/...ws/signals.html

Thank you for posting this.

One of my two all-time favorite Rush songs is on Signals, and it didn't surprise me to read about the intricate drum pattern. I'm not a drum person, but that is the one instrument in The Weapon that absolutely intrigued me. Still does.

• Like 1

'the first of a sequence to alienate Alex Lifeson, whose contribution dwindled - the guitar certainly became less of a lead instrument'

To me this is mindless rubbish, Alex thrived and stood out even more dancing with those synths, gave him space to do entirely more abstract stuff, more of the artist he was, rather than mere guitarist

I mean, dont listen to Al perform in The Weapon for example and tell me his performance has dwindled, at this point in his career he's REALLY starting to flourish

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

'the first of a sequence to alienate Alex Lifeson, whose contribution dwindled - the guitar certainly became less of a lead instrument'

To me this is mindless rubbish, Alex thrived and stood out even more dancing with those synths, gave him space to do entirely more abstract stuff, more of the artist he was, rather than mere guitarist

I mean, dont listen to Al perform in The Weapon for example and tell me his performance has dwindled, at this point in his career he's REALLY starting to flourish

performance <> contribution

He's Alex and it's Rush, so he wasn't about to let some heavy synth use keep him from enjoying his job, but from all accounts I've read he would have preferred to have played more guitar oriented music in the 80s, and was none too pleased when Geddy thought he might bring a couple synths back in the 90s. There's a difference between what you write because of the band's decisions and creative muse, and what you would write on your own.

• Like 1

Relegating Alex to a supporting player for so many albums was like locking an eagle in a cage. f***ing sad to witness. I like what they did with Signals and GUP but it should have ended there.

I kinda feel the same, but after Power Windows.

HYF - it's just overkill at that point. Ironic that Alex just shines on that record, despite all the syrup they poured over it.

Presto seemed to strike a balance - more Alex, and they keys were tasteful - some cool acoustic piano as well.

After that - keyboards were most definitely shoe-horned in--it's so apparent on CP and T4E...

Relegating Alex to a supporting player for so many albums was like locking an eagle in a cage. f***ing sad to witness. I like what they did with Signals and GUP but it should have ended there.

I kinda feel the same, but after Power Windows.

HYF - it's just overkill at that point. Ironic that Alex just shines on that record, despite all the syrup they poured over it.

Presto seemed to strike a balance - more Alex, and they keys were tasteful - some cool acoustic piano as well.

After that - keyboards were most definitely shoe-horned in--it's so apparent on CP and T4E...

And then the totally unnecessary choir of Geddys on VT.
  • Like 1

Was Neil ever not so grumpy?

His writing in the Signals tourbook is so upbeat - reminded me of the time when I first got into the band. I'd read his missives in Moder Drummer - his responses to readers drumming questions were great. He was engaged with his fans - he wasn't so withdrawn.

And you know what - his writing had spark in the 80s. Ghost Rider had none of that - and it could've used it, despite the subject matter.

And I get it - shit happened to him - the worst shit to befall someone. I love the guy. But damn did he change.

His writing in the Signals tourbook is so upbeat - reminded me of the time when I first got into the band. I'd read his missives in Moder Drummer - his responses to readers drumming questions were great. He was engaged with his fans - he wasn't so withdrawn.

And you know what - his writing had spark in the 80s. Ghost Rider had none of that - and it could've used it, despite the subject matter.

And I get it - shit happened to him - the worst shit to befall someone. I love the guy. But damn did he change.

Life happens to people. Don't judge...….

Life happens to people. Don't judge...….

?