Def Leppard to release On Through the Night Live Album

Turbine Freight

I'm really excited about this one. OTTN is by far my favourite Leppard album and this concert recorded at the (then) Oxford Apollo in 1980 features the whole of that album plus a couple off the sophomore record High 'n' Dry & a couple of B sides to the early singles thrown in for good measure.

It also features Pete Willis on guitar and that alone is well worth the price of admission. Released some time next year & I for one can't wait.

• Like 9

I'm really excited about this one. OTTN is by far my favourite Leppard album and this concert recorded at the (then) Oxford Apollo in 1980 features the whole of that album plus a couple off the sophomore record High 'n' Dry & a couple of B sides to the early singles thrown in for good measure.

It also features Pete Willis on guitar and that alone is well worth the price of admission. Released some time next year & I for one can't wait.

Will there be a video of the live show as well?

I love them too.

• Like 1

Will there be a video of the live show as well?

I love them too.

No I don't believe so. It will probably be too early in their career for it to have been filmed.

• Like 1

I would definitely consider shelling out for this....when they were a thoroughly decent NWOBHM band and not the insipid poodle perm sell outs they became later.
  • Like 2

Here's a teaser that some guy put together. It's a collection of the songs from three early live performances.

Friday Rock Show 1979 (BBC Radio, On Through The Night (Live); Fresno 1980 (On Through The Night (Live); Lyceum Theatre 1980 (Live)

Edited by goose
  • Like 3

I will certainly check this out. I sometimes wonder what would have became of them if they continued on with the sound of the first album? Would they have just faded away by the end of the 80s like so many other NWOBHM bands or could they have had a similar level of success that Priest or Maiden did? Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

So, while on Spotify today I see that they had something called Def Leppard The Early Years 79-81. I believe this is what the OP was referring to.

It has remasters of On Through The Night and High n Dry. Both sounded very good to me. Especially High n Dry. But the crown jewel of this set are the live recordings from a show in 1980. The band sounds awesome on it. Going by the sound of the crowd and what Joe says to them it sounds like they were playing a theater before the world even knew who they were. There's some more rarities and stuff but I haven't listened to them yet. The live show on this is great.

I'm guessing Earl has probably ordered 1,980 different copies of it already.

• Like 2

So, while on Spotify today I see that they had something called Def Leppard The Early Years 79-81. I believe this is what the OP was referring to.

It has remasters of On Through The Night and High n Dry. Both sounded very good to me. Especially High n Dry. But the crown jewel of this set are the live recordings from a show in 1980. The band sounds awesome on it. Going by the sound of the crowd and what Joe says to them it sounds like they were playing a theater before the world even knew who they were. There's some more rarities and stuff but I haven't listened to them yet. The live show on this is great.

Hahahahahaha!!!! Right on cue my friend. I have ordered two of them from Japan! One to open and play. One to keep sealed mint. lol

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up. It’s on Amazon Music, I see.

• Like 1

This board is absolutley f*cking terrible! Just f*cking terrible! I had no idea that this was coming out! Now I'm going to spend yet more money to feed my music addiction! Oh, and to all you idiots on this board that have ever suggested music that interested me; Gee, THANKS.... ;)
  • Like 1

Yes that's the one. Instead of putting it out as a single disc they've stuck it in a box set. Just how many times do bands want us to rebuy their remastered albums? P!sses me right off that. A disc that would've been about £12 on its own is now in a set costing £52.

On Through The Night just doesn't jive with me- It doesn't sound like real Def Leppard. High 'n' Dry is an amazing album, but if I heard ONTN first, then High 'n' Dry, I wouldn't say its the same band

On Through The Night just doesn't jive with me- It doesn't sound like real Def Leppard. High 'n' Dry is an amazing album, but if I heard ONTN first, then High 'n' Dry, I wouldn't say its the same band

I thought that about On Through The Night when I first heard it. I knew High n Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria very well before I ever heard it. I didn't even think it was Joe singing when I first heard it. But there are certain characteristics in his voice that were there back then and are still there now.

They were a different band though. They were obviously influenced by the metal sound in the UK at the time they started. Once they hooked up with Mutt Lange, he turned the band into a completely different animal.

I thought that about On Through The Night when I first heard it. I knew High n Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria very well before I ever heard it. I didn't even think it was Joe singing when I first heard it. But there are certain characteristics in his voice that were there back then and are still there now.

They were a different band though. They were obviously influenced by the metal sound in the UK at the time they started. Once they hooked up with Mutt Lange, he turned the band into a completely different animal.

Mutt is a legend! He's always killed it.

I'm glad you agree, because I'm known for my odd opinions. For example: I will always like High 'n' Dry better than Hysteria. Nothing will change that.

Mutt is a legend! He's always killed it.

I'm glad you agree, because I'm known for my odd opinions. For example: I will always like High 'n' Dry better than Hysteria. Nothing will change that.

High n Dry and Pyromania are better than Hysteria. I do enjoy their debut a lot though even if it's very different than what came after. Some bands don't always have their signature sound locked in at the beginning. Look at Rush, it really took them until 2112 to truly find it.

• Like 1

Def Leppard need to realise that I only care about the first 5 albums and go away with the millions they already have. And not reissues or live versions either. Just go away Leppard because I personally don't need you, I have all I need thanks! :smash:
  • Like 1

Def Leppard need to realise that I only care about the first 5 albums and go away with the millions they already have. And not reissues or live versions either. Just go away Leppard because I personally don't need you, I have all I need thanks! :smash:

I do highly recommend the live album from this set though. If you're a fan of the first album it really is a good listen.

• Like 1

Hysteria hasn't aged too well and certainly an album of it's time, but it is their best album, in my humble opinion of course, with Pyromania a very close second. Not perfect though and there's a few tracks that are close to being filler.....eg Excitable.

Only criticism for me as that its so multi-layered (sorry not a techi and that may sound nonsense) and over-produced, band struggle to reproduce the sound live.

My favourite part of the album is the solos on Armageddon It, but live they cant get near to that sound.

I wonder what would have happened to the band were it not for Mutt Lange....maybe become another Saxon....ok but struggled to break into the top division as it were

HOLY SHIT PAT!!! We agree once again!!!! I LOVE "ADRENALIZE!" After that? SHITE! I buy every album hoping for a hard rock release but fuckking Joe Blow wants pop and glam shite. "Euphoria" should have been released before "Slang." What a piece of shit. Def Leppard's "St. Anger" album.

I just don't get it Pat.

BUT!!!

I am cranking my SHM "Early Years" Box Set tonight. HOLY SHIT! This is one of the greatest box sets ever made. PAT GET IT!!!! You are crazy Pat!!!! You must get this box set. Do I have to buy you one and ship it to you?

CD Box Set Of The Year!!!!!

• Like 2