pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3486 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 06 November 2019 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 04 November 2019 - 04:13 AM, said:

Earplugs are for people that do not like music!

You clearly haven't read this thread. There are a few varieties of plugs that allow all the frequencies through, just at a reduced decibel level. Also, hearing loss is cumulative and once it's gone, you ain't getting it back, music lover.
^^^This.  Years ago Pete Townshend spoke of losing part of his hearing, mostly the lower registers, from the constant barrage of amplified sound.  The Nuge at one time wore custom rubber and wax plugs.

Sponsored Post

#22 balance

balance

The Seeker

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Many what is yours?

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:46 PM

View Postgrep, on 17 November 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

Hearing loss is a thing. Most of my high frequency hearing is gone. I also have a lot of trouble carrying on a conversation in a crowded room. I can't hear consonants.

All because i didn't think about my hearing when I was in my teens to early 20's. I wish I had earplugs for shows, and I wish I hadn't cranked up those Sony Walkmans.

Hate to sound like the old deaf guy. In MY DAY, you could hear someone carrying on a conversation a block away.... and when I was a kid, pre-music I remember being able to hear people talking a block away.

I could be a lot worse off, I suppose. I'd say I have 80% of my hearing. Don't have to really crank the TV to hear dialog...jjust a little, and can enjoy music at a low volume.  The thing that I definitely notice is like I wrote above - conversations in a crowded room, or lots of ambient noise.   I'm no fun at parties. Or conferences.

I am the same way, with the exception that I have lost 60% in my left and 55% in my right. Part due to extremely loud music and working on tanks when I was in the military back in the '70s and '80s.  I miss hearing what others have to say, but at times it's a godsend that I don't have to hear my wife.

#23 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 20696 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostBabycat, on 04 November 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

I didn't wear any, and my hearing was fine.

I consider myself extremely fortunate with respect to my hearing. After having been to I don’t even know how many loud, loud rock n’ roll shows (where I have never, to this day, worn earplugs), and working in a manufacturing business for 13 and a half years where there were CNC lathes and vertical mills, lathing and drilling holes in 40-50 lb iron castings (hearing protection became standard eventually, but for the first 8-9 years I was there, there was none)...my hearing is still perfect.

I have the utmost empathy for people who have experienced permanent hearing loss, on any level.

#24 Lautermilch

Lautermilch

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Photography, writing.

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:05 AM

I saw Rush at the Omni (Atlanta) for the 'Signals' tour. The next day I was at Peachtree DeKalb airport for my 11th hour of flight instruction and I was sitting on the runway and my instructor nudged me to find out why I did not start the take off roll. I told him I did not hear the tower and it was because my ears were still ringing. That was the last concert where I did not use hearing protection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Earplugs, hearing protection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users