15 replies to this topic

#1 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

When I lived in Estes Park in the early '90s, my favorite beer to drink was something out of Washington called Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, but it was only available out west, and I couldn't get it in the Midwest.

Is that beer still around? Anybody heard of it?

Sponsored Post

#2 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8437 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

I have heard of it and it is still being made, Friendo.  :cheers:

#3 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 9657 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 09 October 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

When I lived in Estes Park in the early '90s, my favorite beer to drink was something out of Washington called Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, but it was only available out west, and I couldn't get it in the Midwest.

Is that beer still around? Anybody heard of it?

Sounds like we just missed you!  Used to live in Fort Collins in the mid-late 1980's and spent a lot of time in Estes Park; it was beautiful!

#4 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1174 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

I loved Ft. Collins; whenever my friends and I needed a distraction, we'd drive down the canyon and hang out. Nice college town without all the airs of Boulder.

#5 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 70786 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:03 PM

Yes, you can still get a Henry's!

$9.99 for a twelve pack at Total Wine.  It says they'll ship...

https://www.totalwin...dYaApRzEALw_wcB

#6 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 70786 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:04 PM

Henry's is out of Oregon,  btw.

"Oregon- American-Style Lager- 4.7% ABV. Fragrant Cascade hops set the tone in this lager, giving way to an earthy, bread-like finish, courtesy of premium two-row barley and the same yeast strain that Henry Weinhard brought here over 150 years ago."

#7 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1174 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:37 AM

View Postgoose, on 09 October 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

"Oregon- American-Style Lager- 4.7% ABV. Fragrant Cascade hops set the tone in this lager, giving way to an earthy, bread-like finish, courtesy of premium two-row barley and the same yeast strain that Henry Weinhard brought here over 150 years ago."

Thanks! Looks like they don't ship to Missouri, though! If I send somebody 24 empty bottles, will that count as a 2:1 trade for a twelve-pack?

Oregon, yes, thank you -- if I'd been on Jeopardy!, I'd have remembered that, but when it came time to type it, the ol' brain fell out.

Cheers!

Edited by Nova Carmina, 10 October 2019 - 06:39 AM.

#8 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 31688 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 10 October 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

Thanks! Looks like they don't ship to Missouri, though! If I send somebody 24 empty bottles, will that count as a 2:1 trade for a twelve-pack?

Oregon, yes, thank you -- if I'd been on Jeopardy!, I'd have remembered that, but when it came time to type it, the ol' brain fell out.

Cheers!
I’ve got a plan for you. You’ll need a 77 Trans Am and an empty tractor-trailer.

#9 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 70786 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 10 October 2019 - 06:56 AM, said:

Cheers!
I’ve got a plan for you. You’ll need a 77 Trans Am and an empty tractor-trailer.
East-bound and down...

#10 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1174 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

Is this the one where I have to smuggle the elephant?

#11 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3093 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

View PostJohnRogers, on 10 October 2019 - 06:56 AM, said:

Cheers!
Bwahaha, back in the early 60's my dad knew people who used to bootleg cases of Stroh's from Detroit to Georgia and other Deep South states and run the empties back (since you paid a "deposit" for the bottle and had to return the empty to get it back).

#12 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8437 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

I remember when it was a big deal to drive to Iowa (I lived in west central Illinois) just to get a Coors because it wasn't yet available east of the Mississippi. Mostly people with poor taste in beer.

#13 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1849 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:23 PM

I recommend this compilation album here with the beer.

#14 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3093 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:00 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 10 October 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

I remember when it was a big deal to drive to Iowa (I lived in west central Illinois) just to get a Coors because it wasn't yet available east of the Mississippi. Mostly people with poor taste in beer.
It could also be distribution.    I've seen the  area map for Yeungling, which I put away a fair share of.  They do very little distribution West of the Mississippi, and I've seen beer trader requests on the Beer Advocate website for their brews, mostly from folks in the Western stats.  Go figure.

#15 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8437 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:46 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 10 October 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

It could also be distribution. I've seen the  area map for Yeungling, which I put away a fair share of.  They do very little distribution West of the Mississippi, and I've seen beer trader requests on the Beer Advocate website for their brews, mostly from folks in the Western stats.  Go figure.

What about Iron City?

#16 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3093 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 10 October 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 10 October 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

It could also be distribution. I've seen the  area map for Yeungling, which I put away a fair share of.  They do very little distribution West of the Mississippi, and I've seen beer trader requests on the Beer Advocate website for their brews, mostly from folks in the Western stats.  Go figure.

What about Iron City?
Saw no info on distribution, appeared to be mostly East Coast. but it is is here in FL.  On the menu at two local Primanti Bros., on sale at Total Wine, and in bottles near my work location at a bar that catered to folks from Pittsburgh.  I tried a bottle, was ok for a adjunct lager, better than the standard BMC swill.  The reviews on Beer Advocate ranged from locals who drank it steadily and liked it, to adjunct haters comparing it to water discharged downstream of a 3 River  sewage outlet.  Takes all kinds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users