Alter Bridge

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 07 October 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 October 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

Not into it? That's exactly what most Scorsese movies are.

That was kind of my comment earlier when I said some of his movies are “comic bookish”. Nothing wrong with that of course but how can he rip it when he does (very) similar things at times

They definitely share common themes of power, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, thuggery, products of tragedy, etc. This is all real life stuff but amplified and exaggerated for our entertainment. Maybe Scorsese thinks a director can't tease out great performances from actors dressed in colorful tights or that such characters can't emotionally connect with an audience but a good number of these movies seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps more down to Earth dramas do connect with an audience more but that doesn't mean super hero movies should be dismissed as uncinematic trash. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater and all that?

But I'll be honest, I'm getting fatigued by the super hero format. It's like disco, hair metal or grunge....after awhile you just kind of wish something fresher would come along. But they're still the highest grossing movies going so Hollywood will keep churning them out.

I hear you.

I’m not getting tired of superhero movies...I’m getting tired of superhero movies that are sloppily done (see also: superhero movies done by DC, Sony, and Fox) or are too pc-minded (see also: the last few Marvel movies).

This.

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32888 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:49 PM

Come to think of it, he was originally attached as a producer to the current Joker movie. Sure, Joker doesn’t look like an MCU flick but it’s certainly in the same ballpark and genre.

#23 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 79911 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

That was kind of my comment earlier when I said some of his movies are “comic bookish”. Nothing wrong with that of course but how can he rip it when he does (very) similar things at times

They definitely share common themes of power, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, thuggery, products of tragedy, etc. This is all real life stuff but amplified and exaggerated for our entertainment. Maybe Scorsese thinks a director can't tease out great performances from actors dressed in colorful tights or that such characters can't emotionally connect with an audience but a good number of these movies seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps more down to Earth dramas do connect with an audience more but that doesn't mean super hero movies should be dismissed as uncinematic trash. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater and all that?

But I'll be honest, I'm getting fatigued by the super hero format. It's like disco, hair metal or grunge....after awhile you just kind of wish something fresher would come along. But they're still the highest grossing movies going so Hollywood will keep churning them out.
Maybe they could combine things...

Stephen Pearcy as Batman
Bret Michaels as Spider-Man
Ozzy as Ant (Snorting) Man
Sharon Osborne as Catwoman

Uh, forget that last one...

#24 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32888 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:07 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 October 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Maybe they could combine things...

Stephen Pearcy as Batman
Bret Michaels as Spider-Man
Ozzy as Ant (Snorting) Man
Sharon Osborne as Catwoman

Uh, forget that last one...

Frank Zappa could’ve definitely slid into the role of Doctor Strange

#25 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 18469 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:17 AM

Woosh!

#26 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 90056 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

View PostTony R, on 09 October 2019 - 01:17 AM, said:

Woosh!
Look Marty just doesn't like tight leather costumes...anymore...

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostTony R, on 09 October 2019 - 01:17 AM, said:

Woosh!

Uhhh yeaaaah riiiiight.

#28 Krystal

Krystal

The Seeker

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

Jennifer Aniston isn't a fan of MCU films either.  She said that Marvel is diminishing the industry.  But she has always been a weak performer and she has never won a major award for her acting.  She got her first gig because of nepotism which diminishes the industry more than anything else.  If she had her way, then Hollywood would be churning out even more stupid romcoms than it is already.  In most of the films that she appeared in since she left Friends she is basically just playing Rachel by another name.  

https://www.buzzfeed...vies-and-people

Edited by Krystal, 13 October 2019 - 09:13 PM.

#29 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5400 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 October 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 06 October 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  

I’m not a millennial but your definition of “brainwashing” is different from mine. Hollywood makes anything they think will be an easy sell. Why wouldn’t they? Most of it is certainly shit imho but where’s the brainwashing?
I don't really think it is the millennials that even get the most excited about the super-hero movies, I think that it is people from our generation like you and I that read these comic books fanatically when we were kids.

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 13 October 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  

I’m not a millennial but your definition of “brainwashing” is different from mine. Hollywood makes anything they think will be an easy sell. Why wouldn’t they? Most of it is certainly shit imho but where’s the brainwashing?
I don't really think it is the millennials that even get the most excited about the super-hero movies, I think that it is people from our generation like you and I that read these comic books fanatically when we were kids.

Actually, the 18 to 34 demo edges out our generation.

https://www.statista...viewership-age/

#31 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5400 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:46 PM

View PostThree Eyes, on 13 October 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

View Postsnowdogged, on 13 October 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

Actually, the 18 to 34 demo edges out our generation.

https://www.statista...viewership-age/
Yeah, more of them see it because the percentage of people who read comic books fanatically from our generation was probably not that high.

#32 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 19691 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:47 AM

He's not wrong.

#33 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 9619 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, Driving, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, building plastic models [Of almost all kinds], having fun,Talking with friends!

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

It’s all about over saturation.  Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  Also explains that “anti elitist” attitude towards Rotten Tomatoes especially since Suicide Squad came out.  Defending rotten movies out of spite is just as bad as those putting their trust in every single thing that is certified fresh.

I completely agree with you....Suicide Squad was a steaming pile of dogshit by any standards and to defend it is baffling to me.

I thought it was FUN!
Posted Image

#34 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 68666 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 14 October 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

It’s all about over saturation.  Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  Also explains that “anti elitist” attitude towards Rotten Tomatoes especially since Suicide Squad came out.  Defending rotten movies out of spite is just as bad as those putting their trust in every single thing that is certified fresh.

I completely agree with you....Suicide Squad was a steaming pile of dogshit by any standards and to defend it is baffling to me.

I thought it was FUN!
Posted Image
The first half was enjoyable.  That's true for a lot of movies, though.

#35 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2301 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

And Francis Ford Coppola weighs in...

“I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again,” continued Coppola. “Martin was kind when he said it’s ‘not cinema.’ He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

#36 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 21 October 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

“I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again,” continued Coppola. “Martin was kind when he said it’s ‘not cinema.’ He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

That's not gonna throw gasoline on this fire at all, will it?

Serious question: Do we believe they are sincere or just jealous/bitter that the industry has shifted under their feet? Once upon a time, they were the shiny new things.

I don't think Shakespeare got shirty about Ben Jonson staging masques instead of five act plays, but maybe he did!

#37 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32888 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 AM

View PostNova Carmina, on 21 October 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostRutlefan, on 21 October 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

That's not gonna throw gasoline on this fire at all, will it?

Serious question: Do we believe they are sincere or just jealous/bitter that the industry has shifted under their feet? Once upon a time, they were the shiny new things.

I don't think Shakespeare got shirty about Ben Jonson staging masques instead of five act plays, but maybe he did!

“Despicable”?! Godfather, Raging Bull, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Home Alone, Avengers Infinity War, and on and on. No matter how great or how shitty we think they are, it’s all cinema. All of it.

Coppola has directed some modern classics that’s for sure but he also directed Captain EO. Isn’t that sci-fi/superhero “despicable” junk too? Self-righteous Hollywood twats. You make movies, man. You don’t turn water into wine. :blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, Yesterday, 03:31 AM.

#38 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Given that he's the guy who wrote "Art as expression/Not as market campaign," had Neil ever offered a opinion about the Marvel films?

#39 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32888 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:36 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 22 October 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

Given that he's the guy who wrote "Art as exp<b></b>ression/Not as market campaign," had Neil ever offered a opinion about the Marvel films?

Never read anything about his opinion on Marvel films but Peart, Lee, and Lifeson did enjoy Marvel comics back in the day. One of Neil’s nicknames (as stated in the Ghost Rider book I think t was) was Sub-Mariner due to the similar hairline. Then, there was the 1970s Defenders issue that was an homage to 2112. The first page acknowledges the three of them and the band by name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users