Jump to content


Martin Scorsese is an elitist prick


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7762 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

He was recently interviewed and one of the questions had to do with what he thought of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. His reply was:


“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema... Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”


What a douche nozzle.

Edited by Fordgalaxy, 05 October 2019 - 11:37 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 8974 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:54 PM

You talkin' to me??    ;)  ;)

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 540 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:17 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 05 October 2019 - 11:37 PM, said:

It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Right before the one guy blows the other guy's head off in your movies, eh Scorsese? Spoken like a man who believes his own press. There's more than one way to tell the same story, dude. Just because grown men are running around in pajamas and driving race car beds doesn't mean the movies they inhabit aren't telling relevant stories or depicting truthful characters. They're just heightened examples of the Shakespearean dilemmas common folks are sometimes confronted with their own lives, exactly as your movies are.

Edited by Three Eyes, 06 October 2019 - 12:19 AM.


#4 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12444 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:59 AM

I think it's safe to say that Martin isn't a fan of Science Fiction & Fantasy.   His loss.  :)

#5 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32888 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

There are a few Scorsese movies that are very “comic bookish” to me: Taxi Driver (classic!), Gangs of New York (waste of time), Shutter Island (not bad), Hugo (I could’ve skipped). So I don’t understand his issue. f**k ‘em :blaze:

#6 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 21883 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:40 AM

I’ll take Scorsese over the directors of You, Me And Dupree thank you very much.

#7 grep

grep

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Well, it's his opinion. He's expressed it, and nothing has changed. Next.

#8 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10642 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.

#9 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 21883 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.

It’s all about over saturation.  Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  Also explains that “anti elitist” attitude towards Rotten Tomatoes especially since Suicide Squad came out.  Defending rotten movies out of spite is just as bad as those putting their trust in every single thing that is certified fresh.

#10 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 90056 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

#11 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 12444 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.

The badly made superhero films are like theme parks.  Mindless entertainment.

The well made films do convey emotional and psychological experiences.  They do make the audience think and feel.

#12 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10642 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:23 PM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 06 October 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.

It’s all about over saturation.  Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  Also explains that “anti elitist” attitude towards Rotten Tomatoes especially since Suicide Squad came out.  Defending rotten movies out of spite is just as bad as those putting their trust in every single thing that is certified fresh.

I completely agree with you....Suicide Squad was a steaming pile of dogshit by any standards and to defend it is baffling to me.

#13 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32888 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 06 October 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.

It’s all about over saturation.  Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  Also explains that “anti elitist” attitude towards Rotten Tomatoes especially since Suicide Squad came out.  Defending rotten movies out of spite is just as bad as those putting their trust in every single thing that is certified fresh.

I completely agree with you....Suicide Squad was a steaming pile of dogshit by any standards and to defend it is baffling to me.

That one is one of the worst this century. I’ve never heard or read anyone defending that garbage

#14 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32888 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

View Postinvisible airwave, on 06 October 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:


Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  

I’m not a millennial but your definition of “brainwashing” is different from mine. Hollywood makes anything they think will be an easy sell. Why wouldn’t they? Most of it is certainly shit imho but where’s the brainwashing?

#15 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7762 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 October 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 06 October 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

Millennials have been brainwashed to believe that if it’s not from Disney, a remake, reboot, sequel that it doesn’t matter.  

I’m not a millennial but your definition of “brainwashing” is different from mine. Hollywood makes anything they think will be an easy sell. Why wouldn’t they? Most of it is certainly shit imho but where’s the brainwashing?

Haven't you heard? Millennials are the root of all our problems.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 540 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

Not into it? That's exactly what most Scorsese movies are.

#17 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32888 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

Not into it? That's exactly what most Scorsese movies are.

That was kind of my comment earlier when I said some of his movies are “comic bookish”. Nothing wrong with that of course but how can he rip it when he does (very) similar things at times

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 540 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 October 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

Not into it? That's exactly what most Scorsese movies are.

That was kind of my comment earlier when I said some of his movies are “comic bookish”. Nothing wrong with that of course but how can he rip it when he does (very) similar things at times

They definitely share common themes of power, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, thuggery, products of tragedy, etc. This is all real life stuff but amplified and exaggerated for our entertainment. Maybe Scorsese thinks a director can't tease out great performances from actors dressed in colorful tights or that such characters can't emotionally connect with an audience but a good number of these movies seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps more down to Earth dramas do connect with an audience more but that doesn't mean super hero movies should be dismissed as uncinematic trash. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater and all that?

But I'll be honest, I'm getting fatigued by the super hero format. It's like disco, hair metal or grunge....after awhile you just kind of wish something fresher would come along. But they're still the highest grossing movies going so Hollywood will keep churning them out.

#19 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 90056 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 October 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

Not into it? That's exactly what most Scorsese movies are.

That was kind of my comment earlier when I said some of his movies are “comic bookish”. Nothing wrong with that of course but how can he rip it when he does (very) similar things at times

They definitely share common themes of power, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, thuggery, products of tragedy, etc. This is all real life stuff but amplified and exaggerated for our entertainment. Maybe Scorsese thinks a director can't tease out great performances from actors dressed in colorful tights or that such characters can't emotionally connect with an audience but a good number of these movies seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps more down to Earth dramas do connect with an audience more but that doesn't mean super hero movies should be dismissed as uncinematic trash. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater and all that?

But I'll be honest, I'm getting fatigued by the super hero format. It's like disco, hair metal or grunge....after awhile you just kind of wish something fresher would come along. But they're still the highest grossing movies going so Hollywood will keep churning them out.
I know what the problem is, Marty hates the tight costumes!

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32888 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:31 AM

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 06 October 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 06 October 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 06 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think he's right.....doesn't stop the Marvel films being enjoyable at times, but the basic premise of what he is saying is correct.
It's mostly the same thing, fist fights, guns and power struggles. Marty is just not into that shit that's all it is.

Not into it? That's exactly what most Scorsese movies are.

That was kind of my comment earlier when I said some of his movies are “comic bookish”. Nothing wrong with that of course but how can he rip it when he does (very) similar things at times

They definitely share common themes of power, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, thuggery, products of tragedy, etc. This is all real life stuff but amplified and exaggerated for our entertainment. Maybe Scorsese thinks a director can't tease out great performances from actors dressed in colorful tights or that such characters can't emotionally connect with an audience but a good number of these movies seem to indicate otherwise. Perhaps more down to Earth dramas do connect with an audience more but that doesn't mean super hero movies should be dismissed as uncinematic trash. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater and all that?

But I'll be honest, I'm getting fatigued by the super hero format. It's like disco, hair metal or grunge....after awhile you just kind of wish something fresher would come along. But they're still the highest grossing movies going so Hollywood will keep churning them out.

I hear you.

I’m not getting tired of superhero movies...I’m getting tired of superhero movies that are sloppily done (see also: superhero movies done by DC, Sony, and Fox) or are too pc-minded (see also: the last few Marvel movies).




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users