October 2nd, 1959: Rod Serling Seduces and Terrifies the World

Principled Man

The First Episode is broadcast on CBS. We haven't been the same since! :o :o :LOL:

the_twilight_zone_where_is_everybody_tv-462274961-large.jpg

• Like 4

http://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/06/19/8c7f3c93-de26-46aa-aaa3-28be79337f26/resize/620x465/7eb9eec127f1eaa7afbf3864f559413f/twilight-zone-its-a-good-life.jpg
  • Like 2

I remember the one about the man who worked at a bank and used to lock himself in the vault to read lunchtime because he loved books. When he came out, there had been an atomic bombing and the city was leveled. He sat down on the steps of what had been, he realized, the library. He was ecstatic. Then his eyeglasses, which he desperately needed to read, fell off. Without them, he couldn't see well and definitely couldn't read.. As he stumbled around trying to find them, he stepped on them and completely crushed them. That's how the show ended.

The other one I remember that terrified me as a little girl was the lady who had surgery on her face because they said she was ugly. When they took the bandages off to see if the operation had been successful, she was beautiful, but the surgeon and medical team were horrified by her looks. Then the camera showed them and they all had faces like pigs.

I had nightmares for days. I must've been around 7 years old.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I remember the one about the man who worked at a bank and used to lock himself in the vault to read lunchtime because he loved books. When he came out, there had been an atomic bombing and the city was leveled. He sat down on the steps of what had been, he realized, the library. He was ecstatic. Then his eyeglasses, which he desperately needed to read, fell off. Without them, he couldn't see well and definitely couldn't read.. As he stumbled around trying to find them, he stepped on them and completely crushed them. That's how the show ended.

The other one I remember that terrified me as a little girl was the lady who had surgery on her face because they said she was ugly. When they took the bandages off to see if the operation had been successful, she was beautiful, but the surgeon and medical team were horrified by her looks. Then the camera showed them and they all had faces like pigs.

The first one stars Burgess “Mick” Meredith:

timeenoughatlast.jpg?itok=0dUPYYPd

The second one is also one of my favorites too. I also saw it when i was 7 or 8. It’s called “Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder”.

• Like 1

The first one stars Burgess “Mick” Meredith:

timeenoughatlast.jpg?itok=0dUPYYPd

The second one is also one of my favorites too. I also saw it when i was 7 or 8. It’s called “Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder”.

I also remember reading somewhere that one of Rod Serling’s favorite episodes was the Burgess Meredith episode that you’re talking about, Lorraine

• Like 1

OecAme4.jpg

The Rush song!

A pleasant faced man steps up to greet you

He smiles and says he's pleased to meet you

Beneath his hat the strangeness lies

Take it off, he's got three eyes

http://realitysandwich.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TwilightZoneThreeEyesAlien.jpg

You wake up lost in an empty town

Wondering why no one else is around

Look up to see a giant boy

You've just become his brand new toy

7b1708d3abc60df1d763f292c916e6ec.jpg

OecAme4.jpg

The Rush song!

A pleasant faced man steps up to greet you

He smiles and says he's pleased to meet you

Beneath his hat the strangeness lies

Take it off, he's got three eyes

http://realitysandwich.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TwilightZoneThreeEyesAlien.jpg

You wake up lost in an empty town

Wondering why no one else is around

Look up to see a giant boy

You've just become his brand new toy

7b1708d3abc60df1d763f292c916e6ec.jpg

Exactly

The one with the pig people scared the crap out of my sister and myself. I think we were around the same age as you were. The Twilight Zone was always on after school (same with Dark Shadows) and we watched a lot of them. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't realize what we were watching . . .

Since then I have rewatched quite a few on the SyFy channel New Year's Eve and New Year's Day marathon. I can still make my sister nervous laugh, though, by saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . " to her! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There was another one where a brother and sister found a mystery door at the bottom of their pool. They were ignored by their rich parents and the door lead to a creek on a farm with a loving grandma and grandpa. They decided to stay there, only to hear their parents calling. Another boy there says, "Don't worry, they give up after awhile." It was very poignant somehow.

WbZcN7um.pngNy94PUAm.pngiaPi1t1m.pngJ9gSkbAm.png

• Like 2

The one with the pig people scared the crap out of my sister and myself. I think we were around the same age as you were. The Twilight Zone was always on after school (same with Dark Shadows) and we watched a lot of them. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't realize what we were watching . . .

Since then I have rewatched quite a few on the SyFy channel New Year's Eve and New Year's Day marathon. I can still make my sister nervous laugh, though, by saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . " to her! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There was another one where a brother and sister found a mystery door at the bottom of their pool. They were ignored by their rich parents and the door lead to a creek on a farm with a loving grandma and grandpa. They decided to stay there, only to hear their parents calling. Another boy there says, "Don't worry, they give up after awhile." It was very poignant somehow.

The only other thing that ever scared me as much as that episode was when Psycho came out and we were down the shore and went to see it in a drive-in theater. I was about the same age - 7 or 8. The scene when they went down into the fruit cellar and norman bates turned around on that chair :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

The only other thing that ever scared me as much as that episode was when Psycho came out and we were down the shore and went to see it in a drive-in theater. I was about the same age - 7 or 8. The scene when they went down into the fruit cellar and norman bates turned around on that chair :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

I never saw Psycho until I was older but I can imagine your fright! I do remember one called "The Three Faces Of Eve". It starred Joanne Woodward, Paul Newman's wife- I think she won an Oscar for it. It was on the afternoon movie or something. She plays a woman with split personality disorder and has 3 separate personalities. One was a loving housewife/mother; then she would have an incident and turn into the personality of a little kid or hard partying single woman. She was so good it was frightening, and we were only 6 or 7. My sister, half kidding, would say "What if that happens to Mom?" It was while we were supposed to be playing peacefully! :LOL:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

William Shatner?
  • Like 2

William Shatner?

Yup! He was in two different episodes. The one where he sees the monster on the jet plane wing is more famous but I like this one better. It is called "Nick of Time." The devil head is a fortune telling machine that keeps printing out fortunes that come true. He's pretty young here!