October 2nd, 1959: Rod Serling Seduces and Terrifies the World

Principled Man

I remember the one about the man who worked at a bank and used to lock himself in the vault to read lunchtime because he loved books. When he came out, there had been an atomic bombing and the city was leveled. He sat down on the steps of what had been, he realized, the library. He was ecstatic. Then his eyeglasses, which he desperately needed to read, fell off. Without them, he couldn't see well and definitely couldn't read.. As he stumbled around trying to find them, he stepped on them and completely crushed them. That's how the show ended.

The other one I remember that terrified me as a little girl was the lady who had surgery on her face because they said she was ugly. When they took the bandages off to see if the operation had been successful, she was beautiful, but the surgeon and medical team were horrified by her looks. Then the camera showed them and they all had faces like pigs.

I had nightmares for days. I must've been around 7 years old.

The one with the pig people scared the crap out of my sister and myself. I think we were around the same age as you were. The Twilight Zone was always on after school (same with Dark Shadows) and we watched a lot of them. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't realize what we were watching . . .

Since then I have rewatched quite a few on the SyFy channel New Year's Eve and New Year's Day marathon. I can still make my sister nervous laugh, though, by saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . " to her! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There was another one where a brother and sister found a mystery door at the bottom of their pool. They were ignored by their rich parents and the door lead to a creek on a farm with a loving grandma and grandpa. They decided to stay there, only to hear their parents calling. Another boy there says, "Don't worry, they give up after awhile." It was very poignant somehow.

WbZcN7um.pngNy94PUAm.pngiaPi1t1m.pngJ9gSkbAm.png

William Shatner?

Yup! He was in two different episodes. The one where he sees the monster on the jet plane wing is more famous but I like this one better. It is called "Nick of Time." The devil head is a fortune telling machine that keeps printing out fortunes that come true. He's pretty young here!

I remember the episode with the wing, but I didn't know he did another one. He looks handsome!

• Like 2

I remember the one about the man who worked at a bank and used to lock himself in the vault to read lunchtime because he loved books. When he came out, there had been an atomic bombing and the city was leveled. He sat down on the steps of what had been, he realized, the library. He was ecstatic. Then his eyeglasses, which he desperately needed to read, fell off. Without them, he couldn't see well and definitely couldn't read.. As he stumbled around trying to find them, he stepped on them and completely crushed them. That's how the show ended.

The other one I remember that terrified me as a little girl was the lady who had surgery on her face because they said she was ugly. When they took the bandages off to see if the operation had been successful, she was beautiful, but the surgeon and medical team were horrified by her looks. Then the camera showed them and they all had faces like pigs.

The one with the pig people scared the crap out of my sister and myself. I think we were around the same age as you were. The Twilight Zone was always on after school (same with Dark Shadows) and we watched a lot of them. I'm pretty sure my mom didn't realize what we were watching . . .

Since then I have rewatched quite a few on the SyFy channel New Year's Eve and New Year's Day marathon. I can still make my sister nervous laugh, though, by saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . " to her! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There was another one where a brother and sister found a mystery door at the bottom of their pool. They were ignored by their rich parents and the door lead to a creek on a farm with a loving grandma and grandpa. They decided to stay there, only to hear their parents calling. Another boy there says, "Don't worry, they give up after awhile." It was very poignant somehow.

William Shatner?

Yup! He was in two different episodes. The one where he sees the monster on the jet plane wing is more famous but I like this one better. It is called "Nick of Time." The devil head is a fortune telling machine that keeps printing out fortunes that come true. He's pretty young here!

I remember the episode with the wing, but I didn't know he did another one. He looks handsome!

I think so too! :heart: :heart: :heart:

• Like 1

There should be a thread for "Favorite Twilight Zone Episode." Mine is the season 4 episode "On Thursday We Leave for Home" (my favorite Twilight Zones seem to always involve alien planets or space travel/travelers). Wanted to watch it on Netflix but for some reason NF carried all seasons BUT 4. But I've found that CBS All Access has the episode; I'll have to watch that this weekend.
  • Like 1

There should be a thread for "Favorite Twilight Zone Episode."

We can do that in this thread. Anything pertaining to the Show is just fine!

If I had to pick a favorite episode, it would have to be Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?

twilight_zone_real_martian.jpg

• Like 2

William Shatner?

That other episode is awesome too!

• Like 1

If I had to pick a favorite episode, it would have to be Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?

My brain is trying to tell me that actor with his back to us might be DeForest Kelly...

I watched all Twilight Zone episodes when I had my Program to watch almost all the channels you could...can't remember the name...

PcgnNJA.gif

• Like 1

My brain is trying to tell me that actor with his back to us might be DeForest Kelly...

I watched all Twilight Zone episodes when I had my Program to watch almost all the channels you could...can't remember the name...

PcgnNJA.gif

Ross martin, who played Artemis Gordon an Wild Wild West!

• Like 1

I met Richard Kiel once; it would be hard to explain how enormous that dude was. The palms of his hands were like dinner plates. He was older and kind of hobbling, but still just massive. Not just tall, but . . . big. He was nice, if not terribly interested in what was happening. He did sign an autograph for my boss, though.

Plus, without The Twilight Zone, what would the Simpsons have used as inspiration for so many of the Treehouse of Horror shorts?

I watched "The Howling Man" last night -- that's a medieval story; it's nice to know that great art has continuity with the past.

PcgnNJA.gif

Funny thing, speaking of DeForest Kelley, is that the guy at the bar with the three arms (John Hoyt) played the ship's doctor in the first Star Trek pilot, The Cage. He was good.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

PcgnNJA.gif

Funny thing, speaking of DeForest Kelley, is that the guy at the bar with the three arms (John Hoyt) played the ship's doctor in the first Star Trek pilot, The Cage. He was good.

Great catch! :haz:

Hoyt indeed played Dr. Philip Boyce in The Cage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbFq9ZWnGQ

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

PcgnNJA.gif

Yes he was! Probably one of his last films was "Flesh Gordon", which had a soundtrack by Queen.

NAGAdFC.gif

PcgnNJA.gif

Great catch! :haz:

Hoyt indeed played Dr. Philip Boyce in The Cage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbFq9ZWnGQ

Look at those strikingly BLUE EYES!

qZ2cAX3.gif

• Like 1

Yes he was! Probably one of his last films was "Flesh Gordon", which had a soundtrack by Queen.

NAGAdFC.gif

Uh, I think it was "Flash Gordon" with the Queen soundtrack -- "Flesh Gordon" was a totally different movie . . . more of a "wocka-wocka-chou" soundtrack. I mean, yeah, uh . . .

• Like 2

NAGAdFC.gif

Uh, I think it was "Flash Gordon" with the Queen soundtrack -- "Flesh Gordon" was a totally different movie . . . more of a "wocka-wocka-chou" soundtrack. I mean, yeah, uh . . .

Correct Nova! I'm getting too Old to remember alla the STUFF crammed into my brain these days! lol :codger:

Xq9Nl1D.png

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

You're right, Nova! It's getting harder for me to remember all the STUFF crammed into my cranium!! lol a couple of friends of mine went to that 'Flesh Gordon' flick when we were high... :codger:

Xq9Nl1D.png

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1