Ginger Baker not in good shape

apetersvt

I saw Masters of Reality live in '94, I think, opening for Alice In Chains. I really liked them, so I bought the album (Sufferbus) and only then realized it was Ginger Baker. Some fun stuff.

The Alice show, btw, was a disaster: they left the stage after three songs, came back, played one more, and left again. Show over. When people started throwing chairs, my date and I left.

• Like 4

I saw Masters of Reality live in '94, I think, opening for Alice In Chains. I really liked them, so I bought the album (Sufferbus) and only then realized it was Ginger Baker. Some fun stuff.

I spent many hours in various chemically induced states of mind enjoying Sunrise on the Sufferbus. I don't play it much anymore, but it's a very important part of my musical journey.

• Like 2

I spent many hours in various chemically induced states of mind enjoying Sunrise on the Sufferbus. I don't play it much anymore, but it's a very important part of my musical journey.

I always especially liked "She Got Me," "Tilt-a-Whirl," and Baker's "T-USA," which is Baker doing spoken word about how crap American "tea" is.

I don't know enough about drumming to rank Ginger Baker anywhere, but I do recognize where Cream fits in the pantheon, and he'll surely always be remembered as one of the greats.

• Like 1

The Alice show, btw, was a disaster: they left the stage after three songs, came back, played one more, and left again. Show over. When people started throwing chairs, my date and I left.

Assume Layne was in terrible shape and that's why it went as it did.

• Like 2

Nova, I would give Beware of Mr. Baker a watch. Neil is in it!

Alright, so on 78jazz's recommendation, I watched Beware of Mr. Baker. I have some thoughts.

1. Wow, what an a**hole.

2. Wow, what a varied career this guy has had.

3. It's almost amazing how many people he treated terribly who have nice things to say about his talent, ambition, and range.

4. I think I got lung cancer just from watching him chain smoke.

5. His second wife was the sister of his daughter's boyfriend!

6. I would recommend this documentary; it was quite good, even if the narrator was bit of a drip (he earned his access, though, that's for sure).

7. Godspeed, Ginger.

• Like 3

Alright, so on 78jazz's recommendation, I watched Beware of Mr. Baker. I have some thoughts.

1. Wow, what an a**hole.

3. It's almost amazing how many people he treated terribly who have nice things to say about his talent, ambition, and range.

6. I would recommend this documentary; it was quite good, even if the narrator was bit of a drip (he earned his access, though, that's for sure).

7. Godspeed, Ginger.

I don't think he was ever playing with a full deck, and all the drugs made it worse.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

1. Wow, what an a**hole.

7. Godspeed, Ginger.

Nope. Not going there. :outtahere:

Edited by laughedatbytime

“If a plane went down and there was one survivor, it would be Ginger,” says his first wife, Elizabeth Ann Baker. “The devil takes care of his own.

- Rolling Stone article "the Devil and Ginger Baker"

1. Wow, what an a**hole.

7. Godspeed, Ginger.

Definitely #7. I think his character is less than ideal, but as a drummer he was/is one of the most important in the history of rock music.

Also, +1 to Lorraine.

• Like 2

“If a plane went down and there was one survivor, it would be Ginger,” says his first wife, Elizabeth Ann Baker. “The devil takes care of his own.

- Rolling Stone article "the Devil and Ginger Baker"

Yeah, she's quoted saying that in the documentary, too . . . What that woman must have gone through . . .

• Like 2

Awhile back, someone I knew that later became a friend of mine was playing the 1994 album Going Back Home.

At the time, I wasn't aware that Ginger Baker had roots in jazz music at all. I just knew him as the drummer in Cream.

I also discovered the talents of bassist Charlie Haden and guitarist Bill Frisell.

This album was my first introduction into 'jazz-rock' courtesy of my friend.

One of the songs from Going Back Home that stood out for me is 'East Timor' that Baker wrote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMF2WehUbWc.

While listening to the song, the 'spoken word' bit from Baker made me think of this as being 'Pressed Rat And Warthog' Part II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrNgwRqfy8

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1