Which band best represents Rock to you?

Entre_Perpetuo

Which band?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is most synonymous with rock music?

• The Rolling Stones
    • Aerosmith
    • AC/DC
    • Van Halen
    • Foo Fighters (bonus 5th choice!)
    • Other (please specify!)

Nirvana for me.

Also, my first rock band lol

Where's the "dislike" option for posts on here lol.

I didn't say they were the best choice, just the first that come to mind haha as a kid, before I got into rock and metal, I knew rock as being all those kids who wore Nirvana shirts.

• Like 2

Nirvana for me.

Also, my first rock band lol

Where's the "dislike" option for posts on here lol.

I didn't say they were the best choice, just the first that come to mind haha as a kid, before I got into rock and metal, I knew rock as being all those kids who wore Nirvana shirts.

Nirvana is great.

• Like 1

All the bands you referenced qualify, except Foo Fighters IMO. I’d add Zeppelin and Sabbath as bands that leap to mind when someone says “rock bands.”

I don't understand why the POO FIGHTERS are on this list too.

I would go with DLR VAN HALEN.

So many others though.................................

• Like 1

For voting, I picked by choosing "Other". There are more bands, and groups, than the ones listed like: the Beatles, Elvis Presley, the Doors, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Rush, U2, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Scorpions. I can go on by naming more of them. I've liked the Rolling Stones, and any of Van Halen, with both David Lee Roth, and Sammy Hagar, as their lead singers. I still haven't liked AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Guns N' Roses, but I've liked a few songs from them, though. The reason I decided to pick "Other" is because the Beatles, and Elvis Presley were the most influential, and if it wasn't for the both of them, who were that, and around in the rock genre, then it would be the likely hood there wouldn't be any. There will be different opinions, and we will have them. Just like naming songs, with guitar riffs, they haven't needed to be great, and even good. As long as there are, and have been guitar riffs in, and part of the songs, then there shouldn't have the need to be any difference. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

If we're differentiating rock from rock 'n' roll, I'm going with the Beatles first followed by the rest of the British Invasion bands. Any post 60s band shouldn't even be considered, imo. Every band listed on the poll is hard rock excepting the Stones.

You put it in words for me. Thank you.

• Like 2

If we're differentiating rock from rock 'n' roll, I'm going with the Beatles first followed by the rest of the British Invasion bands. Any post 60s band shouldn't even be considered, imo. Every band listed on the poll is hard rock excepting the Stones.

But what if you didn't grow up with that decade of music or have little to no knowledge of it? There have been many different eras of music and a few different generations that have grown up over the last 50 something years. So what band best represents rock to an individual is a much wider net than those who pioneered and had influence over the genre back in the 60s.

• Like 2

As much as I like Tull, if I were in charge of the "Rock Music" time capsule, I'm not sure they'd be in there. The folk-y, symphonic, pastoral influences are too prevalent for their whole body of work.

The Who is a good shout.

• Like 2

As much as I like Tull, if I were in charge of the "Rock Music" time capsule, I'm not sure they'd be in there. The folk-y, symphonic, pastoral influences are too prevalent for their whole body of work.

The Who is a good shout.

I was going to say The Who as well.

The Who is a good shout.

Nova, it would help a lot if you use the "QUOTE" function when replying to someone. That way, people will know who you're talking to....

The "QUOTE" button is in the bottom right hand corner of everyone's posts. :)

• Like 1

The Who is a good shout.

Nova, it would help a lot if you use the "QUOTE" function when replying to someone. That way, people will know who you're talking to....

The "QUOTE" button is in the bottom right hand corner of everyone's posts. :)

Like this?

(I suppose I was talking to everyone . . . but I see your point)

• Like 2

But what if you didn't grow up with that decade of music or have little to no knowledge of it? There have been many different eras of music and a few different generations that have grown up over the last 50 something years. So what band best represents rock to an individual is a much wider net than those who pioneered and had influence over the genre back in the 60s.

Oh I was just trying to be objective about it. I looked at the term rock from a technical standpoint. When it started. How it developed. When it peaked. Who's in the genre, etc. I see all that happening in the 60s. But the term has always been malleable and I guess the OP is defining rock as an umbrella for the entire era of rock 'n' roll. More asking who best represents the attitude and vibe as well as the music of rock. I actually voted for AC/DC initially but then thought wait a minute, they're hard rock.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 4

Oh I was just trying to be objective about it. I looked at the term rock from a technical standpoint. When it started. How it developed. When it peaked. Who's in the genre, etc. I see all that happening in the 60s. But the term has always been malleable and I guess the OP is defining rock as an umbrella for the entire era of rock 'n' roll. More asking who best represents the attitude and vibe as well as the music of rock. I actually voted for AC/DC initially but then thought wait a minute, they're hard rock.

Honestly, the way I see it, rock didn’t figure out quite what it wanted to be until the 60s were about over. Bands like Cream, Zep, and The Stones did get it figured out in the later 60s, but it wasn’t till the 70s that you’re average Joe rock band sounded much the way they still do today. That’s not very analytical of me, just the vibe I’ve perceived coming from either decade.

• Like 1

Honestly, the way I see it, rock didn’t figure out quite what it wanted to be until the 60s were about over. Bands like Cream, Zep, and The Stones did get it figured out in the later 60s, but it wasn’t till the 70s that you’re average Joe rock band sounded much the way they still do today. That’s not very analytical of me, just the vibe I’ve perceived coming from either decade.

The problem is once rock became figured out it lost much of its revolutionary spirit. It was a wild stallion in the 60s that the labels eventually tamed into entertainment product during the 70s. Punk and perhaps metal took up the role of taboo breaker with their own mini uprisings during the 70s and 80s but they themselves have become product long since. It's the taboo breakers that upset the old guard and get all the attention....that is until the labels figure out how to turn them into Big Macs. Nowadays rock appears to be dying out with the baby boomers and older gen-xers, at least as a viable commercial force but maybe even artistically. You only get to discover fire once.

The list is incomplete.

"Other" doesn't even start to cover it.

Not

Even

Close.

Early Seger, Alice Cooper, and the MC 5 would kick all these guys asses.

I saw Uncle Ted blow Aeroshit off the stage at the Silverdome.

Robin Trower and James Dewar would cream these pansies!

And don't even get me started on Jeff Beck, EJ, Billy Gibbons, etc.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2

So for me, four or five bands most acutely represent rock music in my mind. These are the bands that come to mind immediately when I think of rock. But which of these bands best represents rock music to you, and why? Also feel free to choose a different band and post about them instead!

Wait a minute that tag seems familiar... :ph34r:

• Like 1