The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

With the 2019/20 N.H.L. season continuing, no one knew if something would've been able to be organized, and arranged. It will be different having a twenty-four team tournament.
  • Like 1

With the 2019/20 N.H.L. season continuing, no one knew if something would've been able to be organized, and arranged. It will be different having a twenty-four team tournament.

I think they should just shitcan the remainder of the season and focus on the 2020/2021 season. I'd rather watch games in October than in July.

I think they should just shitcan the remainder of the season and focus on the 2020/2021 season. I'd rather watch games in October than in July.

I'd watch hockey even if I was in Africa, at 3:00AM, no air conditioning, and the feed was lagging every ten seconds. :madra:
  • Like 4

Is it the desperation for things to be "normal" the reason that they're going to bring back Frankensteined versions of several leagues, just so people have something to watch? They're too worried that if they say, "tune in again in October," people would revolt? Never come back?

I'm selfishly glad, but I realize it just creates huge headaches for a questionable result.

• Like 2

Is it the desperation for things to be "normal" the reason that they're going to bring back Frankensteined versions of several leagues, just so people have something to watch? They're too worried that if they say, "tune in again in October," people would revolt? Never come back?

I'm selfishly glad, but I realize it just creates huge headaches for a questionable result.

I think we have evidence that fans are desperate for sports to come back, which means it makes no difference whether it's now or October, the fans will return. Also, (SOCN alert) these leagues are guided by leftist ideology in regard to this virus, and since we see even blue states opening up now, there shouldn't be anything to stop the NHL from resuming normal activity.

I think we have evidence that fans are desperate for sports to come back, which means it makes no difference whether it's now or October, the fans will return. Also, (SOCN alert) these leagues are guided by leftist ideology in regard to this virus, and since we see even blue states opening up now, there shouldn't be anything to stop the NHL from resuming normal activity.

Well, as "normal" as it can be with the format and venues they want to go with!

• Like 1

Seriously, why not wait the extra couple of weeks and just start the next season! Will next season be shortened so it ends in May/June? Will they roll straight from the Stanley Cup finals to a couple of days off before training camps open?

This seems very . . . glacial. Sorry. Slow, even by safety standards.

• Like 1

Seriously, why not wait the extra couple of weeks and just start the next season! Will next season be shortened so it ends in May/June? Will they roll straight from the Stanley Cup finals to a couple of days off before training camps open?

You just don't like the idea of the Blues defending the Cup. ;) But seriously, you end this season in September and get everything ready for another start in November. In fact, I'm all for playing four games in five nights, like real men did in the 1980s. That would speed up the process even more. We just have to get the airlines back in business. :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

You just don't like the idea of the Blues defending the Cup. ;) But seriously, you end this season in September and get everything ready for another start in November. In fact, I'm all for playing four games in five nights, like real men did in the 1980s. That would speed up the process even more. We just have to get the airlines back in business. :eyeroll:

Real men are from the 50s and ride on f***ing trains.

• Like 1

Real men are from the 50s and ride on f***ing trains.

You'd be surprised how many ride long distances on buses to this day, and I'm talking about soccer teams. :P And when I talk about real men, I mean playing many games with not much rest, while getting pummeled shift after shift.

Do you remember what you were doing 10 years ago today, blackhawkrushty?

Yes, hoping Toews and Kane could keep on playing for 875K a year the rest of their careers. :16ton:
  • Like 1

I just want them to be safe, that should be the first priority. Some states are becoming hot spots (mine is one) because everyone is throwing caution to the wind and acting like it is all over. I get we need to help businesses and such but we don't need to be careless either. This isn't over and we may see more if we don't take precautions..

FYI NBCSN is having a Stanley Cup Week, they started off with the Pens Monday, Hawks 2010 yesterday. Tonight is Boston 2011, Thurs is Hawks 2013 and Friday is Kings 2014. Think they are doing Caps Saturday and Blues Sunday. They show 3 games of each in their entirety. :clap: :ebert:

• Like 3

I just want them to be safe, that should be the first priority. Some states are becoming hot spots (mine is one) because everyone is throwing caution to the wind and acting like it is all over. I get we need to help businesses and such but we don't need to be careless either. This isn't over and we may see more if we don't take precautions..

FYI NBCSN is having a Stanley Cup Week, they started off with the Pens Monday, Hawks 2010 yesterday. Tonight is Boston 2011, Thurs is Hawks 2013 and Friday is Kings 2014. Think they are doing Caps Saturday and Blues Sunday. They show 3 games of each in their entirety. :clap: :ebert:

Look, the players are going to be more safe than you or me, because they will be tested time after time, and because they're younger than you :unsure: I mean me. And how is it nobody seems to care about riots, where those savages are not "distancing?" OK, too much SOCN.

Look, the players are going to be more safe than you or me, because they will be tested time after time, and because they're younger than you :unsure: I mean me. And how is it nobody seems to care about riots, where those savages are not "distancing?" OK, too much SOCN.

Yes they will be tested and they have less likely a chance of getting it but just because they are young doesn't mean they can't get it. There have been 30 year olds who have died. I just want them to have a career and not lose their life because the owners want their money's worth.

The protests are a risk too, no doubt. Most of the participants are not rioting, it has been weeks since that went down and things have been peaceful, until someone had to gas them for a photo op. We were going to get another wave with all the states opening willy nilly, remember that pool in Missouri with all the people crammed in? As I have seen where I am, once we went from orange to yellow then everyone acts like it is over but now our cases are spiking. It is a virus and it doesn't care about our politics, we just have to be smarter than it, :finbar:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

Yes they will be tested and they have less likely a chance of getting it but just because they are young doesn't mean they can't get it. There have been 30 year olds who have died. I just want them to have a career and not lose their life because the owners want their money's worth.

The protests are a risk too, no doubt. Most of the participants are not rioting, it has been weeks since that went down and things have been peaceful, until someone had to gas them for a photo op. We were going to get another wave with all the states opening willy nilly, remember that pool in Missouri with all the people crammed in? As I have seen where I am, once we went from orange to yellow then everyone acts like it is over but now our cases are spiking. It is a virus and it doesn't care about our politics, we just have to be smarter than it, :finbar:

I love you Rhyta, but how do you figure these men will be at risk while being tested regularly? Shit, I wish I could get the same treatment. For all I know, I may have the thing and not realize it. You must admit that most of those who died from this were old people. Also, if I was an older member of the family of a hockey player, in close contact with him, I'd be happy to know he's being checked frequently. Anyway, look at Europe, some of those countries were hit hard, and yet they're opening their leagues now.
  • Like 1

And how is it nobody seems to care about riots, where those savages are not "distancing?" OK, too much SOCN.

This is a fallacy -- people do care, but they can't do anything about it. Warning people intent on rioting is like the Kevin Bacon character at the end of Animal House, screaming "remain calm." Mayors and public health officials around the country have encouraged protesters (distinct from the rioters) to get tested.

Assuming the league and teams can keep their bubbles closed, the players probably will be safe, and as rich guys, they have constant and better access to health care anyway, added to the fact of their youth and general good shape (the odd un-diagnosed heart condition aside).

• Like 1

I am a worry wart, I admit. Just keeping my fingers crossed. There is so much we still don't know about this virus, so I am being hypervigilant. Have to admit I will enjoy seeing hockey again but it will be strange with no fans in the stands. Bet the guys will adapt but it still will be weird. :hockeygoon:

Correction, Sunday NBCSN will only show game 7 of Blues v Boston... Guess they have to show a bunch of soccer... :eyeroll:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

I am a worry wart, I admit. Just keeping my fingers crossed. There is so much we still don't know about this virus, so I am being hypervigilant. Have to admit I will enjoy seeing hockey again but it will be strange with no fans in the stands. Bet the guys will adapt but it still will be weird. :hockeygoon:

Correction, Sunday NBCSN will only show game 7 of Blues v Boston... Guess they have to show a bunch of soccer... :eyeroll:

I'd rather watch synchronized swimming than that game 7.
  • Like 1

:laughing guy: Not surprised but tonight there's 3 Hawks games so that's what I'm doing :D

• Like 1

What?!? :hockey: :popcorn:

You know, synchronized swimming, where a bunch of half naked women dance in the water. ;)

You know, synchronized swimming, where a bunch of half naked women dance in the water. ;)

Oh, that synchronized swimming . . . yeah, maybe me, too . . .

• Like 2

Oh, that synchronized swimming . . . yeah, maybe me, too . . .

Yeah, I mean, you already know the score in that game, so...