The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

Well, that's one possibility -- the home of the defending Stanley Cup champions is nicely centrally located, too!

(crap airport, though; and I assume the united center has more seating . . .)

The capacity of the stadium shouldn't matter because they'll be playing games without fans. However, Chicago is a bigger city, more hotel possibilities, which helps in any eventual venue decision. On the other hand, our ice is terrible. God save the two teams that would have to play in the nightcap.

Looks like they have decided on three rinks so far: Minnesota, Carolina and Edmonton...

Now they're talking about eight places. Do I hear sixteen? :wacko: Edited by blackhawkrush

What's this I hear about NHL voting today on a plan of a 24-team playoff format? After returning, the league would go straight to playoffs, and since the Hawks are currently in 12th place in the western conference, they would end up playing Edmonton in a best-of-five series, while the first four clubs in each conference would get a bye in the first round. Needless to say, I'm all for it.
  • Like 2

What's this I hear about NHL voting today on a plan of a 24-team playoff format? After returning, the league would go straight to playoffs, and since the Hawks are currently in 12th place in the western conference, they would end up playing Edmonton in a best-of-five series, while the first four clubs in each conference would get a bye in the first round. Needless to say, I'm all for it.

NHLPA has authorized further negotiations with the NHL over how a 24-team return-to-play scenario would work. Good sign! :ebert:
  • Like 1

Yes. Thought of you when I read that 12 teams from each team would be in. Checked the standings to see the seeds. Thinking 'blackhawkrush. approves of this.

• Like 2

Yes. Thought of you when I read that 12 teams from each team would be in. Checked the standings to see the seeds. Thinking 'blackhawkrush. approves of this.

Ha! Ha! I just hope we get enough votes in the end. :scared:
  • Like 1

The Hawks and Canadiens have the 12th best record in each conference. The fact that the NFL is looking at a 24 team playoff is purely coincidental. ;)

Isn't some of the reason the NHL would want Chicago and Montreal in the playoff is the draw of viewers from their fans to help the ratings? It will be a strange setup and I am a bit worried about how they actually will be able to protect the players and others from the virus. I love the game but don't want them (not to be gruesome) to kill the golden goose as it were. :sigh: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

The Hawks and Canadiens have the 12th best record in each conference. The fact that the NFL is looking at a 24 team playoff is purely coincidental. ;)

Arrrrgggggh, NHL obviously, not NFL.

Isn't some of the reason the NHL would want Chicago and Montreal in the playoff is the draw of viewers from their fans to help the ratings? It will be a strange setup and I am a bit worried about how they actually will be able to protect the players and others from the virus. I love the game but don't want them (not to be gruesome) to kill the golden goose as it were. :sigh:

That was my point, although spellchecker kept me from making it appropriately. If it was Nashville and Ottawa it would never have come up, I'd be willing to bet.

Even with short (best of five) series, how long would this take? Surely there's some merit in trying to get a suitable representation and finishing quickly? I guess it just adds one round to an otherwise "normal" playoffs . . .

Adding Chicago and Montreal to increase ratings seems totally fine -- it's a TV show business, after all! Even though they won't be around long, of course . . .

Even with short (best of five) series, how long would this take? Surely there's some merit in trying to get a suitable representation and finishing quickly? I guess it just adds one round to an otherwise "normal" playoffs . . .

Adding Chicago and Montreal to increase ratings seems totally fine -- it's a TV show business, after all! Even though they won't be around long, of course . . .

This is the same league where, within the past decade, the 7th and 8th seeds played in a conference final, so while improbable, it's not impossible that they might.

• Like 2

This is the same league where, within the past decade, the 7th and 8th seeds played in a conference final, so while improbable, it's not impossible that they might.

Fair enough, but two things: 1) surely there's a difference between 8th and 12th? 2) I'll say whatever it takes to irritate Blackhawkrush when it comes to hockey . . .

• Like 2

Fair enough, but two things: 1) surely there's a difference between 8th and 12th? 2) I'll say whatever it takes to irritate Blackhawkrush when it comes to hockey . . .

Sure there's a difference between 8th and 12th. I can run the numbers given records, seeds, and the new format. But the Canadiens had 0.1% chance and the Hawks 2.5% chance of making the playoffs, and both had zero percent chance of winning the co nference, let alone the Cup according to hockey reference, before. My guess is that, if all the chalk except for those teams holds form that the Hawks chances to win the conference are about 2.5% under this system.

You could also mention 1991, when the 16th seed beat the 1st seed in the playoffs. ;)
  • Like 2

Isn't some of the reason the NHL would want Chicago and Montreal in the playoff is the draw of viewers from their fans to help the ratings? It will be a strange setup and I am a bit worried about how they actually will be able to protect the players and others from the virus. I love the game but don't want them (not to be gruesome) to kill the golden goose as it were. :sigh:

Given the fact these players will be constantly tested and that they're young, we should be all right. Plus, I hear more people get infected at home than when they're outside.

OK, using hockey reference and winning percentage in regulation, the Hawks have:

A one third chance of beating Edmonton in round one

A 36.3% chance of beating Dallas in round two

A 20.6% chance of beating the Blues in round three

A 17.3% chance of beating Colorado in the conference finals

A 10.9% chance of beating Boston in the Finals

So a 0.4% chance of winning the conference and about an 0.04% chance at the Cup. People have stayed at home for less.

Given the fact these players will be constantly tested and that they're young, we should be all right. Plus, I hear more people get infected at home than when they're outside.

Maybe ALL the playoff games should be held outdoors. :)

• Like 2

OK, using hockey reference and winning percentage in regulation, the Hawks have:

So a 0.4% chance of winning the conference and about an 0.04% chance at the Cup. People have stayed at home for less.

Hawks are 2 and 1 against the Oilers this season. Perhaps that first stat should be changed to two thirds. :cool:

Note: this is a lower bound estimate (assumes non Hawk chalk) and 7 game series except for the first which was assumed to be 5.

Hawks are 2 and 1 against the Oilers this season. Perhaps that first stat should be changed to two thirds. :cool:

I used a .450 WP for the Hawks, and .542 for the Oilers, the percentage given by hockey reference. Don't want to be accused of being biased. ;)

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

The league will allow six (6) players at one time to practice on the ice in early June. Coaches won't be able to get on the ice surface with them...
  • Like 1