Ric Ocasek RIP

custom55

In a short period of time, another musician has passed away. First, it was Tom, second, it was Eddie, and now, Ric. It really is a shame. The Cars is another band, and group I've listened to occasionally. He will be missed, too. I'm sorry, and my condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Ric. On a related note, Segue, I'm sorry, about your mom, too.
  • Like 2

My mother passed away this morning. This is too much for me.

Segue,

Many of us on the forum have lost our parents as well. You should post a thread in the general forum section if you want to talk / workthrough / vent / memorialize. You might be surprise how the act of talking with others, even digitally, can help. :)

All our hearts go out to you.

That's a good idea to start a thread elsewhere.

Segue, many of us have lost either both or one parent. It's not easy. :hug2:

• Like 2

RIP. :rose: RIC

waking up in bed about an hour ago, click tv on and i hear, "remembering Ric Ocasek" and I bolt up and gasp, " NOOO!!!! "

(throw in bunch of profanity here)

I've listened to the Cars forever. Since elementary school. since the beginning, since my beginning.

I always felt Rick was the definition of quintessential badass cool. :notworthy:

I did not know him, but I will miss him.

Thanks for everything Ric!

:hug2: Big hug to Benjamin. Friends again!

Big hug to Ben is right. That was one of my first thoughts as well. He's with Ben again.

Still trying to find out what he died from. It said "apparent natural causes" - whatever that means.

These deaths come in 3's often. i dread thinking who might be next.

I've grown up with these men. All of them have been, at one point or another, the soundtrack of a decade or two or more of my life.

waking up in bed about an hour ago, click tv on and i hear, "remembering Ric Ocasek" and I bolt up and gasp, " NOOO!!!! "

I've listened to the Cars forever. Since elementary school. since the beginning, since my beginning.

I always felt Rick was the definition of quintessential badass cool. :notworthy:

Big hug to Ben is right. That was one of my first thoughts as well. He's with Ben again.

Still trying to find out what he died from. It said "apparent natural causes" - whatever that means.

I've grown up with these men. All of them have been, at one point or another, the soundtrack of a decade or two or more of my life.

I assume we're referring to Ben Orr (an elite talent as well)?

We're at a strange time where rock and roll's heros are leaving us. Second such wave of loss for the genre (we've already lost most of the pre-60s 'founders'). Thankfully, with modern technology/ease of video production, most of our heros are being immortalized in some manner whether in their own full length documentaries or recorded interviews. It will certainly help the chances that their legacy lives on.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 4

I assume we're referring to Ben Orr (an elite talent as well)?

We're at a strange time where rock and roll's heros are leaving us. Second such wave of loss for the genre (we've already lost most of the pre-60s 'founders'). Thankfully, with modern technology/ease of video production, most of our heros are being immortalized in some manner whether in their own full length documentaries or recorded interviews. It will certainly help the chances that their legacy lives on.

Your assumption is correct.

There's something comforting about the fact that the person is still living. Videos and pictures are nice, but it is never the same.

Plus, for someone my age (65), it's just another reminder (and they are becoming more and more frequent) of my own mortality.

Good grief. Another 80's icon passed on.

Out of respect and not intentionally trying to pun, my first response when I saw that Ric Ocasek passed on was 'uh-oh it's tragic'. :(

i guess he took up the offer of the second ticket to paradise and headed out with eddie money...

May he rip

The first couple of cars records were great

He was a great producer too

Iirc he produced the bad brains classic

I against I

It was Rock For Light - but yeah - he was a fantastic producer/artist.

Heart disease, pulmonary emphysema - NYDaily News just now...

https://www.cnn.com/...eath/index.html

It doesn't say what kind of surgery he was recuperating from.

They send you home way too fast from the hospital these days.

Thanks, Hemi, for posting the link.

Hospitals are too crowded and the staffs are far too overworked. All they're concerned with is making sure an infection doesn't develop in the first day or two after surgery. If the patient is looking ok they send them home.

My dad had double bypass surgery back in June. We thought he would be in the hospital for a week or so but they sent him home three days after the operation. In a lot of ways that's good because it means there were no immediate serious complications. But the surgical scars are still pretty fresh and something can still go wrong that soon after the procedure.

• Like 1

My dad had double bypass surgery back in June. We thought he would be in the hospital for a week or so but they sent him home three days after the operation. In a lot of ways that's good because it means there were no immediate serious complications. But the surgical scars are still pretty fresh and something can still go wrong that soon after the procedure.

My mother had quintuple bypass in 1998. They had her up and walking the very next day, albeit with those big tubes sticking out of her chest.....AMAZING!

Hospitals are too crowded and the staffs are far too overworked. All they're concerned with is making sure an infection doesn't develop in the first day or two after surgery. If the patient is looking ok they send them home.

You're right. It's all about insurance too. Some insurance doesn't pay for any lengthy stays.

Did your father have any complications from the surgery? May I ask how old he is?

You're right. It's all about insurance too. Some insurance doesn't pay for any lengthy stays.

Did your father have any complications from the surgery? May I ask how old he is?

He turns 73 next month and no, he didn't have any complications. He's pretty much back to where he was before his heart issues started.

• Like 1

My mother passed away this morning. This is too much for me.

:rose:

I am so sorry, Segue. If there's anything anyone on here can do for you, let us know. You're one of my favorite people on the Rush Forum, (which means one of my favorite people I've ever met online) and I am truly sad for your loss.

• Like 1