The B24 Liberator

edhunter

I so wish this board was more user-friendly. The Wings of Freedom Tour is currently touring the northeast. It's a collection of still-flying WWII planes, including a B17 Flying Fortress, a B24 Liberator, a B25, and a P51 Mustang. You can tour all of the planes, but for $450 you can also book a 30-minute flight. The P51 is actually 2000 bucks, because you actually control it for a bit.

In my early teens I used to build models of virtually all of the major planes from WWII, and the B24 was always my favorite.

I saw the tour is coming to Worcester airport next week, which is only 20 minutes away, but the weekend is already too booked. So we're going to Nashua, NH the following weekend and I booked a flight on the B24. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. The plane is called "Witchcraft" if someone wouldn't mind googling it and posting a pic. I can't do it from my phone.

It's one of only 2 still-flying B24's left in the world, and the only one set up in the original specs from the era. I still remember getting mine from Woolworth's in 1982.

• Like 3

I so wish this board was more user-friendly. The Wings of Freedom Tour is currently touring the northeast. It's a collection of still-flying WWII planes, including a B17 Flying Fortress, a B24 Liberator, a B25, and a P51 Mustang. You can tour all of the planes, but for $450 you can also book a 30-minute flight. The P51 is actually 2000 bucks, because you actually control it for a bit.

In my early teens I used to build models of virtually all of the major planes from WWII, and the B24 was always my favorite.

I saw the tour is coming to Worcester airport next week, which is only 20 minutes away, but the weekend is already too booked. So we're going to Nashua, NH the following weekend and I booked a flight on the B24. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. The plane is called "Witchcraft" if someone wouldn't mind googling it and posting a pic. I can't do it from my phone.

It's one of only 2 still-flying B24's left in the world, and the only one set up in the original specs from the era. I still remember getting mine from Woolworth's in 1982.

Here's what Ed's talking about:

HifnRnC.jpgRNtHesP.jpgLyZRfF1.jpg

w6E8tQ8.jpg

I'll try and see this next year! Sounds FANTASTIC! My Parent's both worked at the FORD Bomber plant in Willow Run., Michigan, and that plant made the Consolidated B-24 during WW II.kOVBijv.jpg

RpClKD3.gif

• Like 2

Here's what Ed's talking about:

HifnRnC.jpgRNtHesP.jpgLyZRfF1.jpg

w6E8tQ8.jpg

I'll try and see this next year! Sounds FANTASTIC! My Parent's both worked at the FORD Bomber plant in Willow Run., Michigan, and that plant made the Consolidated B-24 during WW II.kOVBijv.jpg

RpClKD3.gif

That's so cool that you will get to see them in person, Ed! Enjoy the day! :ebert: And Orfie, that's awesome that your parents worked in their production facility.

If they have this missing B-25, latch on to it! :LOL: People are still searching! It's one of those things every school kid in Pittsburgh knew about.

https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/blog/western-pennsylvania-history/mystery-of-pittsburghs-ghost-b-25-bomber

• Like 1

We have an air museum where I live call the Air Zoo. Very cool stop if your in the Kalamazoo area. They occasionally have visits from WWII era planes and give rides.

Years ago they had a Ford Tri-Motor from the 20s and we did a ride in it. Fast as the speed of smell. The control was a wood steering wheel from a model T because Ford was too cheap to make something specific for the plane. Years ago they did an air show and I remember getting buzzed by a twin engine WWII fighter flying by about 100 ft off the ground. What a badass engine sound that thing had.

• Like 4

The North American B-25, the smaller plane with twin tail planes, is also very famous, and was a useful design that helped the USA gain a LOT of momentum in the pride department with the 'Doolittle Raid' litterally bombing the Japaniese Homeland, the main Island, on April 18, 1942. This plane went through so many equipment changes, it was a truly versatile and useful tool! matoS06.jpgi3Ptc1U.jpg fespectively, the G/H model noses and the J is the first, the 'strafer' model. G/H model, was the HEAVY Ship and Tank/armor destroyer.

B-25%20J%20gunship%20strafing%20styleRpClKD3.gif

• Like 2

The North American B-25, the smaller plane with twin tail planes, is also very famous, and was a useful design that helped the USA gain a LOT of momentum in the pride department with the 'Doolittle Raid' litterally bombing the Japaniese Homeland, the main Island, on April 18, 1942. This plane went through so many equipment changes, it was a truly versatile and useful tool! matoS06.jpgi3Ptc1U.jpg fespectively, the G/H model noses and the J is the first, the 'strafer' model. G/H model, was the HEAVY Ship and Tank/armor destroyer.

B-25%20J%20gunship%20strafing%20styleRpClKD3.gif

I think it was a p-38 that buzzed us. I remember the double tail with the connection between the two.

p-38-lighning-in-flight.jpg.pc-adaptive.full.medium.jpeg

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

We have an air museum where I live call the Air Zoo. Very cool stop if your in the Kalamazoo area. They occasionally have visits from WWII era planes and give rides.

Years ago they had a Ford Tri-Motor from the 20s and we did a ride in it. Fast as the speed of smell. The control was a wood steering wheel from a model T because Ford was too cheap to make something specific for the plane. Years ago they did an air show and I remember getting buzzed by a twin engine WWII fighter flying by about 100 ft off the ground. What a badass engine sound that thing had.

My sister in law lives in Kalamazoo and when we visited there last year she mentioned that place but our time was filled with other things. Next time I'll make a point of seeing it.

• Like 1

Wow! flying in that FORD Trimotor must have been a BLAST! Wish you knew enough about the twin engine fighter to remember the name...all I can think of would be the P-38 Lightning- Army along with the P-61 Black Widow, and the F7F Tigercat which the Navy used.

NAGAdFC.gif

• Like 1

If I ever get back up there the Zoo and the Gilmore museum are musts. Along with a pilgrimage to the Eccentric Cafe.
  • Like 2

If I ever get back up there the Zoo and the Gilmore museum are musts. Along with a pilgrimage to the Eccentric Cafe.

You might be able to fit the airzoo and Gilmore car museum in one day

• Like 1

We have an air museum where I live call the Air Zoo. Very cool stop if your in the Kalamazoo area. They occasionally have visits from WWII era planes and give rides.Years ago they had a Ford Tri-Motor from the 20s and we did a ride in it. Fast as the speed of smell. The control was a wood steering wheel from a model T because Ford was too cheap to make something specific for the plane. Years ago they did an air show and I remember getting buzzed by a twin engine WWII fighter flying by about 100 ft off the ground. What a badass engine sound that thing had.

They're on the same piece of land...I would think it would be quite easy...lol

RpClKD3.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

We have an air museum where I live call the Air Zoo. Very cool stop if your in the Kalamazoo area. They occasionally have visits from WWII era planes and give rides.Years ago they had a Ford Tri-Motor from the 20s and we did a ride in it. Fast as the speed of smell. The control was a wood steering wheel from a model T because Ford was too cheap to make something specific for the plane. Years ago they did an air show and I remember getting buzzed by a twin engine WWII fighter flying by about 100 ft off the ground. What a badass engine sound that thing had.

RpClKD3.gif

emmm, no they're about 20 miles apart, but doable in one day if you don't dilly dally.
  • Like 1

RpClKD3.gif

emmm, no they're about 20 miles apart, but doable in one day if you don't dilly dally.

RpClKD3.gif

I must have seen the wrong map.

GNo5Obt.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

RpClKD3.gif

RpClKD3.gif

I must have seen the wrong map.

GNo5Obt.gif

Yup saw the wrong map. Sorry!

qZ2cAX3.gif

I so wish this board was more user-friendly.

Why, because we don't allow the uploading of images? Is that an uncommon thing for message boards? Every one I've been a member of required you to host images on a third party site like Photobucket or imgBB, etc.

Settle down, it's nothing personal.

When I had my Iphone at CP the last few years, all you had to do was copy the photo and paste it on your post. I only post from my phone, so it's way more hassle than it's worth to try to do it here.

That was quite a ride. All I could think about was how uncomfortable and cold it must have been on actual runs. I literally was sitting on the floor when we took off, by the waist gunner position. I was able to walk back to the tailgunner turret, walk the incredibly narrow walkway over the bomb bay doors and crawl up to the bombardier and nose turret area. The biggest surprise was how soft the landing was. Softer than any commercial flight I've ever been on.

Well worth the experience.

• Like 2

Why, because we don't allow the uploading of images? Is that an uncommon thing for message boards? Every one I've been a member of required you to host images on a third party site like Photobucket or imgBB, etc.

CP allowed uploading images.

CP allowed uploading images.

It was so easy from an iphone.

HOLY f**k!! The B17 that was part of the same group that I flew with crashed this morning in Hartford, CT. Still no details, other than it was attempting to land.

I'm glad you are ok! It sounds like several people were injured in Hartford, it's sad. It makes you wonder if they will continue the rides after this. :(

HOLY f**k!! The B17 that was part of the same group that I flew with crashed this morning in Hartford, CT. Still no details, other than it was attempting to land.

I Have a model of the B-17 G which I've got the materials to make a specific aircraft of WW II.

Jcn1YGE.jpg

3cmyGOA.jpg Rather unique, isn't it?

RpClKD3.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1