YYNOT - Resonance (new album)

KenJennings

Thought it may not be as good as their first, YYNOT is definitely casting a little more of their own sound here. It's got a little bit more balls than the first album, and pushes a few more creative envelopes. Open Book and She Said I Love The Rain are immediate stand out tracks.

This one's gonna make my regular rotation alongside the first. Love this band.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 3

Jeez, not this crock again. So derivative I won’t even bother listening to any new album.

I mostly avoid the band because they were trolling/spamming the forum for a bit and didn't want to dignify the behavior. However, as a Rush fan there's certainly a lot to like about what they're doing (covers and originals).

This is fairly kick ass:

• Like 2

They were very mellow promoting the record - all nice people too.

I don't doubt their niceness, but an online community isn't a market. Active members post stuff, we support one another, but to have 'members' (by registration only) only show to post their latest music is more akin to advertising than community participation. But I won't knock the goods, they're serious about what they're doing and some of it IMHO is good.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3

Jeez, not this crock again. So derivative I won’t even bother listening to any new album.

This isn't the Steven Wilson forum.

Funny, I was kinda thinking I heard this tired trope before... :P

• Like 1

I mostly avoid the band because they were trolling/spamming the forum for a bit and didn't want to dignify the behavior. However, as a Rush fan there's certainly a lot to like about what they're doing (covers and originals).

I don't know how YYNOT became known here but the first time I heard of them at CP was from a CP member posting one of their internet collab Rush covers. They didn't even have a band name at that point. There was immediate interest from the board due to that posting. Then more CP members began posting their covers and interest continued to build. At some point, Billy and Tim themselves started posting their covers and eventually their Rush influenced originals. The originals went over like gangbusters. If there had been no interest at CP or this board I doubt we would even be talking about YYNOT right now or that they would even exist as a band. If there is interest in your stuff, the correct thing to do is provide more of it to those interested in it. That ain't spamming and that ain't trolling.

Btw, I personally have no problem with someone singing up to a board just to promote their stuff as long as their stuff is germane to what the board might be interested in. But you only get one shot at that. If no one is interested but you continue to promote, then that is spamming,

YYNOT has never been dishonest about what they are. Their frickin' name is YYNOT, for feck's sake. So I don't see any problem with how they've marketed themselves. They are writing original songs with Rush-like tribute arrangements. That should be apparent to everyone by now. It's the quality of the material and stellar musicianship that have enabled them to build a fan base. I personally think they're great and from the snippets I've heard from the new album they seem to be growing into their own sound. But with their first album, they were to Rush what Rush's debut was to Zeppelin.

• Like 5

I don't know how YYNOT became known here but the first time I heard of them at CP was from a CP member posting one of their internet collab Rush covers. They didn't even have a band name at that point. There was immediate interest from the board due to that posting. Then more CP members began posting their covers and interest continued to build. At some point, Billy and Tim themselves started posting their covers and eventually their Rush influenced originals. The originals went over like gangbusters. If there had been no interest at CP or this board I doubt we would even be talking about YYNOT right now or that they would even exist as a band. If there is interest in your stuff, the correct thing to do is provide more of it to those interested in it. That ain't spamming and that ain't trolling.

Btw, I personally have no problem with someone singing up to a board just to promote their stuff as long as their stuff is germane to what the board might be interested in. But you only get one shot at that. If no one is interested but you continue to promote, then that is spamming,

YYNOT has never been dishonest about what they are. Their frickin' name is YYNOT, for feck's sake. So I don't see any problem with how they've marketed themselves. They are writing original songs with Rush-like tribute arrangements. That should be apparent to everyone by now. It's the quality of the material and stellar musicianship that have enabled them to build a fan base. I personally think they're great and from the snippets I've heard from the new album they seem to be growing into their own sound. But with their first album, they were to Rush what Rush's debut was to Zeppelin.

This x1000.

• Like 4

I guess the differentiation for me is that the intent is the same though, whether exactly in line with the subject matter of the community or not. The intent is advertising, not community building. In the end it worked out, they created appealing music in line with the community's tastes.

You missed my followup post, I addressed some of your criticism of my first post.

They were very mellow promoting the record - all nice people too.

I don't doubt their niceness, but an online community isn't a market. Active members post stuff, we support one another, but to have 'members' (by registration only) only show to post their latest music is more akin to advertising than community participation.

Well did YYNOT post their Rush covers here before any TRF members did? If not, the band is still not allowed to post their wares?

I remember some CP members enthusiastically suggesting they record an album after they and other board members started posting their originals. So they did. Were they to be "avoided" for then presenting songs from their album to the board themselves? And they would interact with us a little bit so there's that. So is this really a cut and dried case of some band no one ever heard of suddenly popping onto the a message board to promote their new album? Have they posted about their latest album Resonance here yet? Was it okay for KenJennings to post about it?

In any event, I would rather YYNOT concentrate on music making than getting bogged down in daily posting on TRF. I don't need them to weigh in on, say, the merits of Greta Van Zeppelin. Besides, they communicate with their fans on Facebook. That should be good enough. And the fact that they are, in their own way, carrying on the Rush torch is in itself community participation. They're just doing it through music.

But in your mind, only active members can present their creative projects no matter how related to the board's interests an outsider's project might be? Well hell, no one would ever find out about anything with a rule like that.

Edited by Three Eyes

But in your mind, only active members can present their creative projects no matter how related to the board's interests an outsider's project might be? Well hell, no one would ever find out about anything with a rule like that.

Eventually you'll get to my third post in this thread where I address *this* criticism. Does you computer load all the posts for you or are they being delayed somehow?

There's clearly a distinction between a long time member posting a work of original art and someone who joins only to post ads for their creations. But you failing to see this difference isn't my problem.

I was going to welcome you 'back', as I haven't exchanged posts with you in a while, but I suspect the feeling of brotherhood isn't mutual.

Eventually you'll get to my third post in this thread where I address *this* criticism. Does you computer load all the posts for you or are they being delayed somehow?

There's clearly a distinction between a long time member posting a work of original art and someone who joins only to post ads for their creations. But you failing to see this difference isn't my problem.

I was going to welcome you 'back', as I haven't exchanged posts with you in a while, but I suspect the feeling of brotherhood isn't mutual.

They shared something that they thought this community would like. I don't care if that is akin to advertising, they were right.

• Like 2

And also, I know advertising is unpopular but it's pretty much a necessity of life. You can't pretend like your own life isn't connected to, and benefiting from self-promotion. At least for a band like YYNOT, the product being advertised is a sincere and beautiful one. Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2