How do you fine people listen to music these days!?

Na na na

Don't know if this is the correct forum or if this topic is discussed in an ongoing topic. How do you listen to music these days!? I invested in Harbeth P3ESR speakers and a Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amplifier with a DAC...so these days I'm all digital. I want to listen to music as much as possible, and the digital media offers me just about all the music I could ever want. How About you!?
  • Like 1

Well, I'm jealous of your rig.

I'm fairly low tech, and I listen to most music on the speakers of my laptop or on the cd player/aux in my car. I have a separate stereo that's hooked up to in-wall speakers in my house, but my family complains when I listen to "Xanadu" on eleven.

I have iTunes (or whatever it's called now). so when I'm not listening to my cds, the music I listen to is .mp3. I probably don't even realize what thin gruel it is, in the sonic sense, anymore.

• Like 2

Maybe your system needs to go to 12 for them to appreciate Xanadu?

Or maybe Cygnus X-1?

(I only had half days in my final semester of high school, and when I would come home I would listen to AFtK every day. That is why I make the above suggestions.)

• Like 2

Multiple ways depending on my mood. In the living room, I have a Peachtree integrated amp and an Oppo multiplayer that feed a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. Or, I have a pair of really nice Audeze headphones. There is also a portable hard drive packed with all my music connected to the Oppo so I can go that route if we have a get together. The modern version of a real to real but much less cumbersome to deal with.
  • Like 1

i just have a pair of Bose speakers that works just fine for me. don't have the cash to go super high end.

i go digital nowadays mostly. i've never been too snobby or above moving with the times. so spotify, Itunes, if i love an album i'll buy physical copy.

Also have a vinyl player from years ago. so on occasion i'll go old school. oh and a bunch headphone listening too.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Multiple ways depending on my mood. In the living room, I have a Peachtree integrated amp and an Oppo multiplayer that feed a pair of KEF LS50 speakers. Or, I have a pair of really nice Audeze headphones. There is also a portable hard drive packed with all my music connected to the Oppo so I can go that route if we have a get together. The modern version of a real to real but much less cumbersome to deal with.

I did consider the Paechtree integrated....the reason why I landed on the LIO had to do with synergy reasons. Btw I use Tidal, anyone familiar with Qobus, the French option!?

i just have a pair of Bose speakers that works just fine for me. don't have the cash to go super high end.

i go digital nowadays mostly. i've never been too snobby or above moving with the times. so spotify, Itunes, if i love an album i'll buy physical copy.

Also have a vinyl player from years ago. so on occasion i'll go old school. oh and a bunch headphone listening too.

Mic

For a long time I didn't have the cash myself...then a opportunity came a long...and I dived right into it.

• Like 1

Amazon Prime through my Samsung4 and earbuds...either running or in the hammock. Otherwise, I stream YouTube through the smart tv and surround system. Mixes, albums, or single tracks.
  • Like 1

My sound system is a 1999 Sony amplifier and a Technics EQ from the same year. 4 speaker (Polk Audio and Sony speakers) stereo and a Sony subwoofer added in 2012. Been using the setup since 1999.

I started converting over to mp3 in 2003, and can say that by 2010 I was 100% on mp3. Buying the occasional digitally unavailable CD, to rip to mp3.

For a long time, I had an original SlimMP3 player. A Slimpy. RCA jacked into the stereo. The Slimpy display finally died in 2011, end of an era.

Then I went over to iTunes from my comp 100% of the time. Have been, and still classic iPods.

Wanting to get off iTunes for playlists and playing off my comp I switched over to Clementine music player in 2016. Which I still use today.

So today it's Clementine/comp into the stereo at home. iTunes for iPod management - for the car and personal listening. So long as I can keep finding parts for them, I'll keep using my 2006/7 era iPod classics.

Both Clementine and iTunes tally up stats. Playcount, last played and rating. But do it separately. Sometime next year I'm going to write myself a database to keep consolidated stats from both softwares.

I don't really have a need for streaming - have about 1000 CD's ripped to the mp3 library, and I keep myself hooked up with Amazon for new releases. Plus Dime and other places for booted shows. Have more than enough music. Don't want to pay for yet another service.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

It's sad, the Slim Mp3 Player used to be a thing. These days if you google that or slimpy, you don't get any related hits on the first page. It's like it never existed.

Ah, here we go: https://en.wikipedia...)#SliMP3_(2001)

https://www.google.com/search?q=SliMP3

Edited by grep

However best suits the situation I find myself in. If I’m home with some time to kill, I’ll put on a record. If I’m on the move, my iPod has over 10000 songs, mostly in full albums. If I’m away from my record player, Spotify and Apple Music are also options, and they allow me to check out new music I don’t own too. I’ll also listen to CDs if I’m the car or at home if I’m feeling like it.
  • Like 2

Most of my music time these days is in the car (a decent sounding Bose centerpoint system). I've not owned Vinyl or cassette in more than 20 years, as soon as oversampling rates got high enough I went compact disc. Zero regrets on that decision. Have a fair sounding surround system in the living room for movies and surround music (bluray audio and dvd-a, dts). At my desk at work I occasionally listen to newer albums using a set of Focal earbuds. I still have a small (idle) home studio with good monitors and studio sub, as well as a couple mid range over the ear headphone options. I've no interest in posting a detailed list of all the things I own that reproduce music for me. Most of it was purchased with budget in mind, so someone spending $4,000+ on a single amp isn't interested anyway. Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Maybe a Sony Walkman 2019 ?

http://youtu.be/PdD3ff3mWAo

"Upscales compressed music files closer to High-Res Audio"

Holy f*&*ing bullshit vaporware.

FTFY

Edit. As the song goes

You don't get something for nothing.

You don't get resolution from squares.

You can't have hi-res with lesser samples in your ears,

no matter what marketing says.

Edited by grep