The Fountain of Lamneth (Rush) vs A Change of Season (Dream Theater)

fraroc

This might be considered heresy against the Rush fanbase, but as much as I enjoy Fountain of Lamneth, I honestly think that A Change of Season is FAR superior in every way. I find the overall lyrical content to be much better and more relatable than Lamneth and I think musically it's a better song too, much heavier, has better hooks and riffs, and great time signature changes. And to be frank, Even Rush themselves kinda agree with me. In fact, Ged himself said "The Fountain of Lamneth was just something we had to do. But it's kind of absurd. I mean, it's just where we were at. We were a young band, a little pretentious, full of ambitions, full of grand ideas, and we wanted to see if we could make some of those grand ideas happen. And 'Fountain of Lamneth' was the first attempt to do that. And I think there are some beautiful moments, but a lot of it is ponderous and off the mark. It's also the most time we ever had to make a record. I think we had a full three weeks, and we were just indulging ourselves.'"

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the 70s Rush epics very much, however I always felt that their slightly shorter epics were the better ones. (For example, I always enjoyed Xanadu and Natural Science better than Hemispheres) but I honestly believe that when it comes to epics and concept albums, DT has them all beat.

Haven't heard A Change Of Seasons yet, but I doubt anyone on here will hate you for preferring a DT epic to Lamneth. FoL is pretty obviously clunky, it's just an admirable clunk. I think a lot of folks actually prefer The Necromancer off of CoS.
  • Like 2

Haven't heard A Change Of Seasons yet, but I doubt anyone on here will hate you for preferring a DT epic to Lamneth. FoL is pretty obviously clunky, it's just an admirable clunk. I think a lot of folks actually prefer The Necromancer off of CoS.

Not me. I like FoL better. Don't care for The Necromancer at all.

• Like 2