Least Favorite Rush Album

Lorraine

Even my least favorite Rush album - Vapor Trails - has two of Rush's best songs on it - Secret Touch and Ghost Rider.

There's no real disaster album for me when it comes to Rush. Every album has at least two redeeming songs on it that make the album worthwhile.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Their first album is the one that never really does anything for me. I would imagine if I had heard that album first before what came after, my opinion might be different. They were a good band on that album but obviously they didn't have that special something to make them great yet. I don't know if they achieve that greatness if Neil doesn't join the band.
  • Like 1

Test for Echo for me. Most of the songs are just kinda forgettable and mediocre to me. The only one that's genuinely among their all-time best work is "Driven." "Resist" is pretty good too. One or two others I like. But as a whole it's very boring which is something Rush can almost never be accused of. Even their other "bad" stuff is bad because it's an interesting experiment they tried that failed. Test for Echo just feels like they mailed in the songwriting part of it.
  • Like 3

Yeah, it's the anti-Test For Echo portion of the thread. I haven't listened to that album in literally years (and years). The songs run together for me, the early internet stuff seemed to date quickly; it's a miss.

Hold Your Fire is the other one I wouldn't miss too much if somebody Thanos'd it away.

• Like 1

Roll The Bones

It has a couple good songs, but that's not the quality level I expect of Rush. They sound like a neutered Huey Lewis And The News here.

On, and in similar threads like this, something like this has been discussed before. I've liked every Rush studio c.d., and album they ever did, and put out. Even the not as good songs on some of their studio c.ds, and albums, they haven't done, and don't ruin anything to the studio c.ds, and albums. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Test for Echo for me. Most of the songs are just kinda forgettable and mediocre to me. The only one that's genuinely among their all-time best work is "Driven."

Yep, TFE is the least inspiring to me as well. VT, Presto and RTB are also down on the same bottom rung of least favorites.

• Like 1

TFE, Snakes, Clockwork. I find the latter two pretty much unlistenable, especially the wall of unmemorable hookless dense noise that makes up most of Clockwork. I still can't believe the band was OK with the mix. It sounds like Geddy is singing in a different language, I can't make out a damn word of almost any song
  • Like 1

TFE, Snakes, Clockwork. I find the latter two pretty much unlistenable, especially the wall of unmemorable hookless dense noise that makes up most of Clockwork. I still can't believe the band was OK with the mix. It sounds like Geddy is singing in a different language, I can't make out a damn word of almost any song

I know what you mean about much of Clockwork being indecipherable. It’s the only Rush album that I’m completely split about. I don’t like Snakes. I don’t really like Bones. And I don’t care about Test. Everything else I like (overall). But with Clockwork, I like about half and I dislike the other half.

• Like 1

Test for Echo. It’s the only Rush album that I bought and then got rid of it. *

I can’t say it’s awful, but it’s just forgettable. And that’s the only Rush album I can say that about. ^

* except for Feedback, which I’ve never bought in the first place

^ well, and Feedback...obviously

• Like 2

But it's so hard to just pick one! Partly because there are a few weak songs on all 1987-2007 releases, but also because most contain something special. Normally from Alex, when he was given the chance. I like CA because its heavier, and lyrically more interesting but by no means flawless so it's excused.

Ok, HYF probably least favourite, because in context it changed everything and I'm not sure the recovery was ever completed. No album before had me wondering if even they were happy with it. I love Time Stand Still though, because I can be a sentimental old fool at times. Oh, and Force Ten... and Lock and Key's okay.