Deep Purple Mk. III

Nova Carmina

So, if you're David Coverdale, are you upset that Glen Hughes is doing half the singing?

Did Glen Hughes ruin the band with his jazzy improvisational noodling tendencies, were they doing it that way already, or was the band sunk once Gillan and Glover left?

More general philosophical question: is there a point after which it's just too late to replace a part as prominent as the lead singer? AC/DC pulled it off pretty deep into their career; Van Halen did it twice, but the second time was a bit of a disaster; Iron Maiden experimented; etc., etc.

(And I know Gillan was himself a replacement, but they weren't "Deep Purple" yet, really).

Anyway, I'm listening to Mark III, and I can't decide if it's deeply flawed but almost great or only mildly flawed and not that great.

• Like 2

As long as they don't do free form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd, they'll be alright.
  • Like 3

So, if you're David Coverdale, are you upset that Glen Hughes is doing half the singing?

Did Glen Hughes ruin the band with his jazzy improvisational noodling tendencies, were they doing it that way already, or was the band sunk once Gillan and Glover left?

More general philosophical question: is there a point after which it's just too late to replace a part as prominent as the lead singer? AC/DC pulled it off pretty deep into their career; Van Halen did it twice, but the second time was a bit of a disaster; Iron Maiden experimented; etc., etc.

(And I know Gillan was himself a replacement, but they weren't "Deep Purple" yet, really).

Anyway, I'm listening to Mark III, and I can't decide if it's deeply flawed but almost great or only mildly flawed and not that great.

I am biased; I always liked Glenn Hughes' singing better than Coverdale, he sounded more like Gillan to me and I liked that. I love the both of them switching leads on Burn, though, that was a great sound. My husband is a huge fan so we have it all, though; I like the Hush guy as well! :P

• Like 1

Just listened to Burn after almost a decade gone. WOW! What a great album and what a fantastic line-up!

I recommend the live soundboard boots of Mark III, they're breathtaking!

• Like 2

It doesn't get more cowbell than You Fool No One...

Mark III is my favorite version of Purple, and yes, Burn slays it. I do like Machine Head, but...

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just listening to a DP III show from Kansas City '74, and it reminded me that Burn had some really great songs: Burn, You Fool No One, Mistreated, etc., but there was something about the "funkiness" of the show that just sort of made me prefer the more prog jamming of Lazy, Mandrake Root, or Wring That Neck.

And Hughes sounding more like Gillan (I agree) was actually part of the spur to my question: Coverdale could really sing, but did he feel slightly redundant? Mark II never brought in somebody to sing with Gillan . . .

Yeah, I was just listening to a DP III show from Kansas City '74, and it reminded me that Burn had some really great songs: Burn, You Fool No One, Mistreated, etc., but there was something about the "funkiness" of the show that just sort of made me prefer the more prog jamming of Lazy, Mandrake Root, or Wring That Neck.

And Hughes sounding more like Gillan (I agree) was actually part of the spur to my question: Coverdale could really sing, but did he feel slightly redundant? Mark II never brought in somebody to sing with Gillan . . .

I'm pretty sure Hughes was himself a lead vocalist, so when they brought him in they couldn't really just tell him he was just a bass player. I doubt he would have gone for that.

In terms of pure vocal talent, Coverdale blows Gillan away. Coverdale, IMO, had the best hard rock singing voice ever. He's not the best front man or vocalist ever (that honor goes to Roth or Ozzy or Jagger IMO). But in his prime, pre-1987, he had the best voice.

As a fledgling DP listener (only recently started diving in a bit purpler), their willingness to try different things is also what makes them a challenge to enjoy as a casual fan. I relate it to how casual Rush fans must feel bout Rush's entire discography.

I have no opinion on Mark III, I'm not even sure if I have that recording.

Edited by stoopid