36 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

jnoble, on 27 August 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

Snakes for me because Rush doing an album of folk-rock type songs was not their best idea nor played to their strengths. Far Cry and Malignant N were the only two songs on the entire album that sounded like them. I respect that they made an entire career out of changing direction every few albums but that wasn't a good one for them in hindsight and seems a lot of fans consider it a drink coaster now
Man do those snake songs ever drag live... they played almost the entire album in the tour.

Sponsored Post

#22 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:17 AM

I'm listening to my car's music USB track by track, alphabetically. I'll listen to most tracks but skip many as well, being those I just don't have any interest in compared to what might be coming next (with nearly 2K tracks recorded I usually have no idea what's next). As I have all the Rush albums on it a Rush tune will come up time to time. I've found that with few exceptions, I'll skip every track from PoW through T4E. I can listen to those songs if listening to those entire albums, but when mixed with tunes from Zeppelin, or The Beatles, or any of the other many bands I've got on that USB, the PoW through T4E songs just come off as extremely weak. Does that make them weird? Kind of to me, as I find myself thinking, "How does a band this talented, and who made such amazing music for it's first decade of existence, go on to record these nearly unlistenable songs?" I guess that seems weird to me.

Edited by Rutlefan, 28 August 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#23 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 18901 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:48 PM

Rutlefan, on 28 August 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

I'm listening to my car's music USB track by track, alphabetically. I'll listen to most tracks but skip many as well, being those I just don't have any interest in compared to what might be coming next (with nearly 2K tracks recorded I usually have no idea what's next). As I have all the Rush albums on it a Rush tune will come up time to time. I've found that with few exceptions, I'll skip every track from PoW through T4E. I can listen to those songs if listening to those entire albums, but when mixed with tunes from Zeppelin, or The Beatles, or any of the other many bands I've got on that USB, the PoW through T4E songs just come off as extremely weak. Does that make them weird? Kind of to me, as I find myself thinking, "How does a band this talented, and who made such amazing music for it's first decade of existence, go on to record these nearly unlistenable songs?" I guess that seems weird to me.

Entirely too many songs to discount, IMO. There’s some great stuff in there.

But to each his or her own.

#24 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 68625 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

chemistry1973, on 27 August 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

Weirdest:

Cinderella Man
Didacts and Narpets
Twilight Zone
Madrigal
Cygnus X-1

AFTK was their weirdest album wasn't it?
I think so.  All over the map, and not necessarily in a good way.

#25 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

Heh. I went to a couple Snakes tour shows and couldn't wait for then to get past all the new songs. Like I said, Far Cry kicked ass but the others, yeeech. Talk about a string of bathroom or beer stand break songs... lol
I've sometimes wondered if bands ever notice fans leaving their seats walking away during certain songs or segments of their sets and if it bothers them

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

jnoble, on 29 August 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

Heh. I went to a couple Snakes tour shows and couldn't wait for then to get past all the new songs. Like I said, Far Cry kicked ass but the others, yeeech. Talk about a string of bathroom or beer stand break songs... lol
I've sometimes wondered if bands ever notice fans leaving their seats walking away during certain songs or segments of their sets and if it bothers them

Yeah that was rough - they did bring back Digital Man and played Entre Nous for the first time - big pluses there.

But Spindrift is awful.

#27 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:53 PM

Blue J, on 28 August 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

Entirely too many songs to discount, IMO. There’s some great stuff in there.

But to each his or her own.

I did say there were a few exceptions, most of which I could have anticipated, but one song that surprised me was Nobody's Hero. Listening to it in isolation I realized that I think it a pretty fine song, despite the weird/clinical/awkward rhyme of "sexuality" and "masculinity." I used to think Sting's "knowledge" and "college" in Wrapped Around Your Finger was the worst rhyme ever but I think we've at least a tie here.

Edited by Rutlefan, 29 August 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#28 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

To me personally, there was a time and I hope fellow fans can pinpoint it, when Geddy's delivery of Neil's lyrics didn't quite fit the music anymore, and we started to get wooah's. Counterparts? maybe after that?

#29 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27946 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

jnoble, on 29 August 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

I took my then 16 year old musician son to a Snakes tour show. I had of course seen them 20 times before since 79' but it had been a while. It was his first live show seeing a band I had been raving about all of his life and he knew quite a bit of their music. The first 30 minutes or so I was just sitting there not very excited apparently and he asked me why am I not excited. They were playing the Snakes songs but things changed quickly thank God...

Edited by Narps, 29 August 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#30 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

I pinpoint TFE as the album where A: Neil's lyrics really started decline in quality and B: Geddy and Alex couldn't come up with inspired music to put them to. Their long time method of coming up with riffs and parts and fitting them to the words started sounding obvious (Time And Motion comes to mind as a particularly disjointed sounding song)
Color Of Right is another example of bland music put to bland words with a bland melody by Geddy

#31 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

And TFE was also the beginning of the layers upon layers of distorted guitars & bass wall of noise production plus the infamous Geddy choirs of "whooaaass" and "ooohhhhhs" which just got worse with Vapor Trails onward lol

#32 Lurkst

Lurkst

The Seeker

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:30 AM

This thread seems to have moved from discussing "weirdest" to "shitest"

#33 taurus

taurus

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

That's interesting because even going back to the mixed tape days, Rush did not meld well with other music. There are exceptions but over all I avoided putting Rush on my own mix tapes/cds and now those random file playbacks. Tull and Zappa the same.

I disagree on your assessment of Rush's music from PoW-T4E

#34 Freeze

Freeze

The Seeker

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:28 AM

To me one of their weirdest songs is "Red Lenses". Not bad, not great.. Just weird :)

#35 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1316 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

Red Lenses is great. Not really weird to me. It does have one of Geddy's best bass lines though.

Edited by New_World_Man, 31 August 2019 - 09:53 AM.

#36 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:04 PM

taurus, on 31 August 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

That's interesting because even going back to the mixed tape days, Rush did not meld well with other music. There are exceptions but over all I avoided putting Rush on my own mix tapes/cds and now those random file playbacks. Tull and Zappa the same.

I disagree on your assessment of Rush's music from PoW-T4E

Fair enough. One thing I learned, in a sense, was that the music on Signals is a lot better than I'd thought over these many years. When those tunes came up, even Countdown which back in the day I couldn't even listen to it annoyed me so much, I found myself enjoying them without being tempted to skip at all. I found myself skipping very few tracks from Signals and earlier. Middle of 2nd side of AFTK didn't fair so well, along with I'm Going Bald and Rivendell, but other than that pretty much every track was worth a listen, the direct mirror to PoW to T4E, with GUP and VT on being a mixed bag.

#37 Red3angel

Red3angel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:60s Bond. Art . Sade . Robert plant . The police

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:21 PM

Weirdest album is 2112 and I mean that in a good way. Weirdest song is Limbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users