Star Wars News From The Disney D23 Expo

Principled Man

I was hoping for a film, but we’re getting a TV series on Disney+.

I’m very disappointed. :(

I think the shorter format of a series is a good idea in terms of continuing Star Wars.

Absolutely. I’m interested in seeing how Picard turns out - hopefully it’ll be a good bellweather for quality Sci Fi on television.

And TV is a better place for Sci Fi isnt it... those stories need room to breathe and expand. It’s hard to make good Sci Fi as a 2hr profitable movie going experience.

• Like 2

Not that good Sci Fi requires special effects, but TV is still pretty far behind/more cheaply produced than most movies. There's nothing to take the viewer out of a good story than seeing the scenery wobble or noticing the FX.

Maybe the series will more character-driven (with McGregor that's a distinct possibility) but I'm afraid it will look like cheesy.

I think the shorter format of a series is a good idea in terms of continuing Star Wars.

For the present time, absolutely. The next trilogy isn't due to start until December 2022.

Now that the Skywalker story is coming to a close, many fans (especially the older ones) will walk away after Episode IX has its run. Going to the cinema to see a Star Wars film may lose its lustre.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Not that good Sci Fi requires special effects, but TV is still pretty far behind/more cheaply produced than most movies.

The Disney/Marvel upcoming Disney+ (limited) series that are coming up [The Falcon & Winter Soldier, Loki, WandaVision] will reportedly spend approximately the same as they would on a single big budget movie. So that’s a handful of episodes for a similar cost as one of their 2-2.5 hour movies.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Nice to see Ewan playing Obi without stupid Lucas dialogue for once.

I always thought Ewan was the lucky one. His lines were usually pretty good.

Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman....not so much .... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now that the Skywalker story is coming to a close, many fans (especially the older ones) will walk away after Episode IX has its run. Going to the cinema to see a Star Wars film may lose its lustre.

I think you are under estimating Star Wars fandom. I am not that big of a Star Wars geek and I'm not walking away after IX. I'm 57.

I think you are under estimating Star Wars fandom. I am not that big of a Star Wars geek and I'm not walking away after IX. I'm 57.

I think future films will still be very successful, but I do see the fan base changing, specifically because of the departure of the classic characters. After The Rise of Skywalker, we won't even see Rey or Ben anymore. The next trilogy will feature totally new characters, and it won't begin until late 2022.

The thrill of seeing Luke & Leia, Han & Chewbacca, R2D2 & C3P0, and the others will be gone. There was something special about going to a Star Wars film, mostly because of those characters. Future films won't have that feeling.

Nice to see Ewan playing Obi without stupid Lucas dialogue for once.

I always thought Ewan was the lucky one. His lines were usually pretty good.

Usually. One running gag with my son and I is the lost planet bit.