• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scroydon

scroydon

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

Looking to update my CDs and vinyl but how does one choose. Amazon has a boatload of opinions but I don't trust most of the reviews. Many recently released or remastered options do not stay true to the artist's and sound engineer's renderings.

For example, A Farewell to Kings was an analog recording. Eventually, the recording went digital in some manner as a Audio CD recording. Now there are remastered options in 5.1 which may be of poor sound quality. DVD has the ability to store higher quality and render lossless. However, often these remasters don't resemble the original artistry. It is one thing to clean up or make less muddy a recording to improve sound quality. It is another thing to alter the listener's experience by remixing something that was never part of the original recordings.

So, what are +your+ best recordings of Rush albums and why? Is it the medium, the producer, the engineer, etc. Is it soundstage or sound clarity? Or are you a purest who protected his investment with very high-end digital storage equipment in lossless archiving? Perhaps you are a purist for vinyl or AAD, ADD or DDD CDs. Then there is the quagmire known as Imports which could certainly stir up muddy waters.

MP3s are not ideal for me nor is FLAC but I would still be interested in your choices and why.

Compression mixes need not apply!🤮

Rush On!

Edited by scroydon, 22 August 2019 - 07:29 PM.

Sponsored Post

#2 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 89865 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

I would like this thread to get so bitter and angry that 10 of the posters actually agree to meet in a warehouse for street fight TO THE DEATH to determine which is best CDs or DVD audio.

#3 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4799 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

View Postscroydon, on 22 August 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

Looking to update my CDs and vinyl but how does one choose. Amazon has a boatload of opinions but I don't trust most of the reviews. Many recently released or remastered options do not stay true to the artist's and sound engineer's renderings.

For example, A Farewell to Kings was an analog recording. Eventually, the recording went digital in some manner as a Audio CD recording. Now there are remastered options in 5.1 which may be of poor sound quality. DVD has the ability to store higher quality and render lossless. However, often these remasters don't resemble the original artistry. It is one thing to clean up or make less muddy a recording to improve sound quality. It is another thing to alter the listener's experience by remixing something that was never part of the original recordings.

So, what are +your+ best recordings of Rush albums and why? Is it the medium, the producer, the engineer, etc. Is it soundstage or sound clarity? Or are you a purest who protected his investment with very high-end digital storage equipment in lossless archiving? Perhaps you are a purist for vinyl or AAD, ADD or DDD CDs. Then there is the quagmire known as Imports which could certainly stir up muddy waters.

MP3s are not ideal for me nor is FLAC but I would still be interested in your choices and why.

Compression mixes need not apply!

Rush On!

Over-simplified answer: Avoid the '97 remasters.

I'm sure there are still threads on here about this somewhere.

#4 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 47301 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Maybe this thread from another website will help you somewhat too:  https://forums.steve...masters.190817/

#5 scroydon

scroydon

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

View Postytserush, on 23 August 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postscroydon, on 22 August 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

Over-simplified answer: Avoid the '97 remasters.

I'm sure there are still threads on here about this somewhere.

Thanks. I have managed to stumble across some threads on this topic. A link from one directs one to https://www.southtex...sters.html#rush .

Seem like someone was very disciplined and thorough!

#6 scroydon

scroydon

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

Hmmm. Seems I need to learn how to quote properly without leaving so many ? marks.

#7 scroydon

scroydon

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 August 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

Maybe this thread from another website will help you somewhat too:  https://forums.steve...masters.190817/

Thanks. Visited link. Found a wealth of info.👍

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FLAC, Lossless, Vinyl, Archival, CD, DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users