Jump to content


Vocal Coach Reacts to Geddy's Singing


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1113 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

Late period Geddy sounds like he's singing everything through a yawn.

Sponsored Post

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1113 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

View Postsnowdogged, on 22 August 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

To my surprise, she actually seems to think his vocals are pretty good here.


"They're just having the best time!"

Not the guy behind the drum set.

#23 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

View PostSusanMistyT, on 24 August 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

One thing that has never been in doubt is that Geddy knows how to sing properly and knows how use his voice effectively, whether you like the way it sounds or not.

Amen to THAT!!! I just had it with folks who complained about his voice so much. It not liked the fans (some of them) could do it better!! I LOVE his voice not matter what age our beloved Geddy is...I love his 80s era voice so...and plus, Geddy been singing since he was very young child anyway, it was during 1968-69 he started to used that soaring and high vocals!!! And welcome back!!!!

Whether fans could sing better than Geddy...is a moot point. They are not the ones exploiting their talent for commercial gain.

I realise that that there are some fans who think our favourite Canadian power trio are beyond criticism, but there are many of us who don't think that way, and it is an inescapable fact that there has been a big drop off in quality (not just vocals) since the late 80s.

They had an unbelievable golden run from 76-82 which is way more than most bands acheived, but their output has to be judged without confirmation bias, and sadly they were a shadow of their former selves for a long, long time.

Don't agree?...fine, it's called opinion and I promise not to be upset :-)

#24 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostFridge, on 25 August 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

...it is an inescapable fact that there has been a big drop off in quality (not just vocals) since the late 80s.

They had an unbelievable golden run from 76-82 which is way more than most bands acheived, but their output has to be judged without confirmation bias, and sadly they were a shadow of their former selves for a long, long time.

Don't agree?...fine, it's called opinion and I promise not to be upset :-)


...just saying

#25 rocket ignites

rocket ignites

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6664 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Duluth, MN
  • Interests:Poker. Minnesota Vikings/Twins/T-Wolves. Being a glass half-full advocate for post 1982 Rush.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

Can we get an R40 Lakeside park reaction please?...

#26 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5393 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

View Postrocket ignites, on 25 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Can we get an R40 Lakeside park reaction please?...

Even a staunch defender of Geddy's voice like me can admit that he should have left Lakeside Park alone :lol:

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1113 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

A curated list from the ever entertaining comments section:

(Btw, I'd say 80% of the comments are from fans stating that Ged's voice was shot by this point; disappointment that this performace was even suggested and recommendations she review earlier performances.)



alohacrash
1 day ago
A lot of the style elements that you comment on are side effects of Geddy struggling to sing in the range of his youth such as reaching for notes. You'll hear something very different in earlier performances and recordings. Try the studio music video for Tom Sawyer as an example.

...............


mdunawaym
1 day ago
This is a man who was probably in his mid 60 at the time of this show.  Phenomenal!

............


Malcolm Reynolds
1 day ago
This comment section is full of RUSH nerds, trying to give advice. ;-)


...............



Daniel Castillo
2 days ago
I love Rush! But sometimes it would be helpful to be a little critical of a performance. You can hear his voice pitchy, cracking in some parts. Gary, Alex and Neil are my absolute childhood heroes but even they are human!


..............

M0NG0M4N
2 days ago
Well, he's better at playing Bass.

...............


Mike Hegarty
10 hours ago
I've seen some people say part of Neil and Alex's physical problems were also sort of an excuse to let geddy down easy and not have to say, "you cant keep doing the old stuff in the way we've always done."


.........


Jarsh019
2 days ago
This is 2010, his voice was long gone by this point lol


........


Oddbjørn Bendiksen
2 days ago
Great video Beth, but I think Geddy would like his kimono back.

....


Jameson Alford
1 day ago
Rush as a band began in 1974. They’re in their 60’s here. Geddy’s definitely lost his voice, but to be doing that at his age? Legend.


.............


TheMetalGuy852
1 day ago (edited)
She does this all the time. It's like she purposely listens to singers out side of their prime. Super annoying




.............


Raul Alonso
1 day ago
At 45, this song is more relevant now than when I was in the eighth grade.


.............



Brisn Doty
1 day ago
"How does he hit the drums behind him?" ...Beth dear..thats Neal Pert..hes not human ...he has 6 arms and 4 legs


.....................



Jonathan Henderson
2 days ago
I always get the impression watching Geddy Lee that he's trying to hit high notes by using his eyebrows.




.............



John Gudonis
1 day ago
I am not ashamed to admit it this is one of my favorite Rush songs.



....................

CMCguitars1
1 day ago
Geddy can’t sing like he used to. He does some weird stuff to try to hit those notes that used to be easy for him.


............



Steve D
1 day ago (edited)
Should've done La Villa Strangiato - Ged's vocals are amazing on that one.



...........



tehsimo
2 days ago
This guy actually sounds like a woman at times, weird


..............


Nick Shermer
8 hours ago
Is Geddy wearing a shirt that says "Rash?" Why?



.............


Javier Barria
2 days ago
best vocal song from Rush is yyz


..............


screwyootube1
1 day ago
Oh God, I can't stand listening to her. Who is she, to criticize Geddy Lee's voice, when she knows nothing about him, or about Rush? I couldn't finish this, it was so awful.

..............


Chuck Brummer
1 day ago
Neil Perts kit is insane. A legend.


..............

Scott Crosby
2 days ago
Geddy is an animal ������


...............



Carl Cushman Hybels
1 day ago
If Rush did instrumentals I'd much enjoy them. But I'm among those who can't stand Geddy Lee's shrieking Munchkins vocals.

...........


Frank Grimes
1 day ago
Now do Geddy Lee 1980


................


Alan Goldenberg
23 hours ago
Your witnessing the greatest drummer in the world.


..................



MrDaryl2112
9 hours ago
Millions of records sold, sold out areas, and has influenced thousands of musicians vs a nobody! You haven’t earned the right to react to RUSH!

...............


Mike Cronis
1 day ago (edited)
Beth listens to the melody without comprehending the lyrics .. and she thinks it's happy.  Sigh.  It's such a bitter-sweet, sad song.


.............


Paul Scheuer
2 days ago
Hi Beth! Love your videos! This was a really unfortunate choice as an introduction to Rush.


...............



Evan Paluch
3 days ago (edited)
You are so pretty, Beth ������ Had to say it.

...............

MetalRyche1981
1 day ago
I saw them in Mobile Alabama during Moving Pictures Tour. Max Webster was supposed to open but broke up an hour before the show began.


...............

stephane Charbonneau
1 day ago (edited)
Thus song is joyous yeah, but it could also trigger depression

...............


Douglas Show
2 days ago
To hit the ones behind him his chair is on a swivel.


...............


John Morris
1 day ago
She does know that the high part in Time Stand Still is not sung by Geddy right?


...............


Gforceracing20
1 day ago
Beth, Please, Please take a look at Dokken 'Alone Again'.

................



netrioter
2 days ago (edited)
The original video for this was one of the worst videos in MTV history.


................

RevStudios
1 day ago
am I the only one here who thinks she's pretty hot?

.................

ProgHead777
2 days ago (edited)
His voice during Rush's hey-day has been often described as "ethereal" and "otherworldly". Now he just sounds like he's squawking, never even approaching those beautiful crystalline high notes.

................


Polar Bear
2 days ago
Geddy Lee would never have won American Idol


..................


Durand Compton
12 hours ago
You don't analyse Rush.  You listen to Rush.  You absorb Rush.  Then, you analyse Rush.



..................


Vincent Valentine HD
21 hours ago (edited)
I think you all do not agree with the choice of live version of this song because you feel ashamed of Geddy's voice now.


.................


Jayhawk 2572
2 days ago (edited)
Well, I don't know where you are getting your video recommendations from, but this is a terrible choice for anyone who would want to seriously analyze Geddy's vocals.


..............



escargotomy
1 day ago
I have to laugh because on their last tour R40, a friend of mine at the concert said Geddy was beginning to sound like Ethel Merman with his phrasing. I nearly pissed myself!



.................


John Matthews
19 hours ago
His vowels are weird because "Geddy" (Gary Lee Weinrib") is a Canadian of eastern European Jewish descent.



.............


Gus Gómez
1 day ago
Beth there's a new live video of Helloween you should check out



.............



Mike G
2 days ago
why do people suggest bad examples of otherwise good singers.



............



Porfle Popnecker
2 days ago
I liked the early higher-voiced, screechy Geddy better. The one the critics complained about until he got self-conscious about it and started singing lower.

Edited by Three Eyes, 25 August 2019 - 07:23 PM.


#28 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 8791 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 25 August 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

View Postrocket ignites, on 25 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Can we get an R40 Lakeside park reaction please?...

Even a staunch defender of Geddy's voice like me can admit that he should have left Lakeside Park alone :lol:

R40 Lakeside sounds fine compared to R40 CTTH...man I love that song, but he really couldn't have found a lower part to try to sing?

#29 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 37333 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 22 August 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

Who the hell would recommend she listen to this live version?

Shame Rush fans!



SHAME!

Amazing!  Embarrassing version.  Everyone blames Neil for ending RUSH.  After listening to Geddy sing on the R40 Tour three times I knew he was over too.   Watching the movie R40plus solidified my statement about Geddy's voice today.  Thank goodness Rush has retired.

If Geddy and Alex ever do a project together please hire a drummer and a new singer.

#30 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 719 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:18 PM

He sounded fine on Time Machine. Clockwork Angels was where it started to go a little bit more and by R40 things were pretty rough.

#31 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 33905 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:51 AM

View Postrocket ignites, on 25 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Can we get an R40 Lakeside park reaction please?...

A brave attempt that shouldn’t have been made. And that’s as kind as I can be with that one :blaze:

#32 SusanMistyT

SusanMistyT

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Middletown, USA
  • Interests:Love to Read, listen to Rush and Prog Rock

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostFridge, on 25 August 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

View PostSusanMistyT, on 24 August 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

One thing that has never been in doubt is that Geddy knows how to sing properly and knows how use his voice effectively, whether you like the way it sounds or not.

Amen to THAT!!! I just had it with folks who complained about his voice so much. It not liked the fans (some of them) could do it better!! I LOVE his voice not matter what age our beloved Geddy is...I love his 80s era voice so...and plus, Geddy been singing since he was very young child anyway, it was during 1968-69 he started to used that soaring and high vocals!!! And welcome back!!!!

Whether fans could sing better than Geddy...is a moot point. They are not the ones exploiting their talent for commercial gain.

I realise that that there are some fans who think our favourite Canadian power trio are beyond criticism, but there are many of us who don't think that way, and it is an inescapable fact that there has been a big drop off in quality (not just vocals) since the late 80s.

They had an unbelievable golden run from 76-82 which is way more than most bands acheived, but their output has to be judged without confirmation bias, and sadly they were a shadow of their former selves for a long, long time.

Don't agree?...fine, it's called opinion and I promise not to be upset :-)

I understand but it is the fans that somewhat piss me off for putting Geddy's vocals down, now, I am not saying that the fans could do it, but try to put yourself in his shoes and try singing when your are at that age of 21-25 years old. IT IS HARD!! Very hard to do on poor Geddy and I feel that some fans are not doing or giving him much credit for it.

Sure, some fans saw them and say that he sounds great on some songs and one note lower on the other songs, but, what can you do, nothing.

Geddy, for me, sound great on all songs both live and in the album as well. Sure, I admit he do not sound the same at all in the past 5 years that they been on the road from 2010-15, and yes, he has aged but that is Geddy, no matter what vocals he sound on. To me, Geddy's vocals also went down because of all the tours that he undertook as well.

As for the band, I am somewhat happy yet sad that they put everything up after that tour, but, Geddy and Alex may bring us something new. Who's know what the future will bring?? We dont know.

I am a huge fan of Rush's 1980s era, and I defend Geddy's vocals very much. I do not meant to put down any fans on here, but, when I see them and the press putting him down, it makes me so mad that I would have chosen to fight for him. He didn't need it at all after what he been though in his life. Also, these guys are human, you cant beg them to be perfect at all too.

#33 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 23718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostSusanMistyT, on 26 August 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 25 August 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

View PostSusanMistyT, on 24 August 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

One thing that has never been in doubt is that Geddy knows how to sing properly and knows how use his voice effectively, whether you like the way it sounds or not.

Amen to THAT!!! I just had it with folks who complained about his voice so much. It not liked the fans (some of them) could do it better!! I LOVE his voice not matter what age our beloved Geddy is...I love his 80s era voice so...and plus, Geddy been singing since he was very young child anyway, it was during 1968-69 he started to used that soaring and high vocals!!! And welcome back!!!!

Whether fans could sing better than Geddy...is a moot point. They are not the ones exploiting their talent for commercial gain.

I realise that that there are some fans who think our favourite Canadian power trio are beyond criticism, but there are many of us who don't think that way, and it is an inescapable fact that there has been a big drop off in quality (not just vocals) since the late 80s.

They had an unbelievable golden run from 76-82 which is way more than most bands acheived, but their output has to be judged without confirmation bias, and sadly they were a shadow of their former selves for a long, long time.

Don't agree?...fine, it's called opinion and I promise not to be upset :-)

I understand but it is the fans that somewhat piss me off for putting Geddy's vocals down, now, I am not saying that the fans could do it, but try to put yourself in his shoes and try singing when your are at that age of 21-25 years old. IT IS HARD!! Very hard to do on poor Geddy and I feel that some fans are not doing or giving him much credit for it.

Giving credit for trying to maintain a standard of performance is one thing, making excuses for the inability to maintain that standard is something else. The last time Geddy succeeded more times than not at maintaining that standard was probably the TFE tour.

Edited by JARG, 26 August 2019 - 10:58 AM.


#34 Syrinx

Syrinx

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2646 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

I am so happy I could be along for almost the whole ride, right from the first album to today.  None of us are as good as we were in our twenties.  I am thankful for that last tour "warts" and all.  There is no way they could replicate the magic of Maple Leaf Gardens in the late 70's, but they also could have retired years ago and left a lot of us wanting more.

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1113 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

I wish she'd have reviewed this Geddy performance. This is the best late period Geddy I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube....h?v=B-TYBwsnMJE

#36 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10864 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

View Postzappafrank, on 25 August 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 25 August 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

...it is an inescapable fact that there has been a big drop off in quality (not just vocals) since the late 80s.

They had an unbelievable golden run from 76-82 which is way more than most bands acheived, but their output has to be judged without confirmation bias, and sadly they were a shadow of their former selves for a long, long time.

Don't agree?...fine, it's called opinion and I promise not to be upset :-)


...just saying

Whoosh!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users