Jump to content


Cinema Strangiato.....anything new?


  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4799 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:46 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

It wasn't exactly a highlight reel of the R40 DVD, but sort of.  Some of the shots were different, and some of the songs were from a different performance.  It wasn't anything terribly exciting in terms of content, but personally, I really got a kick out of just being in a public space with a bunch of Rush people enjoying some big-screen Rush footage, and reminiscing with random strangers after about what a great experience it was to see Rush live and commiserating regarding missing them.  Worth the $11.55 I paid for the ticket.

Not sure I wouldn't rather see a Rush tribute band that puts a fair amount of post-1982 songs in their set.

Sponsored Post

#42 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4799 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

View Postrocketom, on 22 August 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

I have an idea, they should have a contest to see who the Best Rush tribute band is, give the winner the screen projections and let them tour like Brit Floyd or The Australian Pink Floyd. The official Tribute band of RUSH!

I'd settle for a band in jeans and T-shirts that gets the spirit of the music and not feel the need to haul a refrigerator or dryer on stage. That stuff and projection screens are fun to watch but it's the spirit of the music and enjoyment from playing it that really works for me.

#43 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4799 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

View Postalieninvasion76, on 22 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Despite owning the R40 blu-ray and all the other videos containing the truly hilarious intermission clips they mashed together, I still thoroughly enjoyed this! The new interviews were quite good and with more substance. and the side stories were interesting. Mostly, though, it was a testament to the enormous amount of footage that was captured at the time of the R40 tour. As a result, there were not just different angles, but a whole different look much of the time, not to mention the hilarious soundcheck footage, as well as the artistic superimposing of image and sound while keeping a cohesive narrative!!
It's also worth mentioning that my wife, who is not a Rush fan per se, quite enjoyed it. Interesting to see what they have in store for us next year...

Are you saying it was kind of a re-edit or that they used different R40 footage? If that's the case then I'm definitely in on the DVD.

#44 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5340 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Postytserush, on 23 August 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Postalieninvasion76, on 22 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Despite owning the R40 blu-ray and all the other videos containing the truly hilarious intermission clips they mashed together, I still thoroughly enjoyed this! The new interviews were quite good and with more substance. and the side stories were interesting. Mostly, though, it was a testament to the enormous amount of footage that was captured at the time of the R40 tour. As a result, there were not just different angles, but a whole different look much of the time, not to mention the hilarious soundcheck footage, as well as the artistic superimposing of image and sound while keeping a cohesive narrative!!
It's also worth mentioning that my wife, who is not a Rush fan per se, quite enjoyed it. Interesting to see what they have in store for us next year...

Are you saying it was kind of a re-edit or that they used different R40 footage? If that's the case then I'm definitely in on the DVD.

Both.  It was a mixture of footage from the R40 home video release, alternate R40 footage, and a different editing style.  I really like the editing style, wish they'd redone the entire concert that way.

#45 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4799 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 23 August 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 23 August 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Postalieninvasion76, on 22 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Despite owning the R40 blu-ray and all the other videos containing the truly hilarious intermission clips they mashed together, I still thoroughly enjoyed this! The new interviews were quite good and with more substance. and the side stories were interesting. Mostly, though, it was a testament to the enormous amount of footage that was captured at the time of the R40 tour. As a result, there were not just different angles, but a whole different look much of the time, not to mention the hilarious soundcheck footage, as well as the artistic superimposing of image and sound while keeping a cohesive narrative!!
It's also worth mentioning that my wife, who is not a Rush fan per se, quite enjoyed it. Interesting to see what they have in store for us next year...

Are you saying it was kind of a re-edit or that they used different R40 footage? If that's the case then I'm definitely in on the DVD.

Both.  It was a mixture of footage from the R40 home video release, alternate R40 footage, and a different editing style.  I really like the editing style, wish they'd redone the entire concert that way.

So they went back and kind of "remixed" it? Did they use footage from the other night? Different angles from the same night? A bit of both?

That would be totally worth it then because most of that stuff stays on the cutting room floor and/or is lost forever.

How cool would it be to release the whole show reinterpreted like that?

#46 Rushman14

Rushman14

    Mr. Hollywood

  • Members *
  • 12251 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 23 August 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 23 August 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Postalieninvasion76, on 22 August 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Despite owning the R40 blu-ray and all the other videos containing the truly hilarious intermission clips they mashed together, I still thoroughly enjoyed this! The new interviews were quite good and with more substance. and the side stories were interesting. Mostly, though, it was a testament to the enormous amount of footage that was captured at the time of the R40 tour. As a result, there were not just different angles, but a whole different look much of the time, not to mention the hilarious soundcheck footage, as well as the artistic superimposing of image and sound while keeping a cohesive narrative!!
It's also worth mentioning that my wife, who is not a Rush fan per se, quite enjoyed it. Interesting to see what they have in store for us next year...

Are you saying it was kind of a re-edit or that they used different R40 footage? If that's the case then I'm definitely in on the DVD.

Both.  It was a mixture of footage from the R40 home video release, alternate R40 footage, and a different editing style.  I really like the editing style, wish they'd redone the entire concert that way.

The editing definitely felt more cinematic

#47 grasbo

grasbo

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:australia
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 August 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostGeddyRulz, on 22 August 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 August 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

this "film" reminded me Geddy can't sing no more.

He can't!  That's why I find it ironic that HE'S the one who actually wanted to keep touring!  His voice is a better reason to retire than anything else.

This movie was essentially my 16-year-old's "first Rush concert."  Hearing Geddy singing like that, she must've been thinking "THIS is the band my father's been raving about?"
If they ever tour again bring a vocalist to share duties with Geddy. He can do the late recording stuff and yodel or howl through some old stuff but let a vocalist like Amiee Mann handle the bulk.
She is better looking.But they are both geeky looking

Edited by grasbo, 24 August 2019 - 04:24 AM.


#48 capoetc

capoetc

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 181 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dallas

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

I enjoyed the movie.  

The backstage stuff was cool, wish that could have been in special features for the Bluray.  Interviews were good, and nice to see a few of the R40 songs from different venues, plus the sound checks.  

I hope the film was successful enough to keep them going.

#49 Cmutt

Cmutt

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston
  • Interests:Basketball, Video games, movies, world history... and RUSH

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

I don't know if they remixed it, or what other footage was used... but the other posts are correct that not only did the footage look better, but it also seemed to be presented/edited better, and everything MOST DEFINITELY sounded way better. It's like I could hear all of the instruments and music much better. And I just listened to some of the original R40 music again... and Geddy's voice DOES sound much, much better in the new film. (even on the same songs!) I too, wish that they would redo the whole R40 DVD the same way that they did this film.

Edited by Cmutt, 24 August 2019 - 09:40 AM.


#50 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1315 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Philadelphia PA
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

From what I've been reading on here and on the facebook Rush fan group(clockwork angels) there wasn't much in here that wasn't in the R40 dvd. I haven't seen that so it didn't bother me.

#51 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 784 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostNew_World_Man, on 24 August 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

From what I've been reading on here and on the facebook Rush fan group(clockwork angels) there wasn't much in here that wasn't in the R40 dvd. I haven't seen that so it didn't bother me.

Except for the version of Losing It with Jonathan Dinklage.

Unless that exists somewhere on the DVD in an easter egg? Or, maybe it's on the BluRay. I only have the DVD. I would love to see that again, with his intro commentary.

#52 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7599 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 24 August 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 August 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostGeddyRulz, on 22 August 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 August 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

this "film" reminded me Geddy can't sing no more.

He can't!  That's why I find it ironic that HE'S the one who actually wanted to keep touring!  His voice is a better reason to retire than anything else.

This movie was essentially my 16-year-old's "first Rush concert."  Hearing Geddy singing like that, she must've been thinking "THIS is the band my father's been raving about?"
If they ever tour again bring a vocalist to share duties with Geddy. He can do the late recording stuff and yodel or howl through some old stuff but let a vocalist like Amiee Mann handle the bulk.
She is better looking.But they are both geeky looking

I can't think of anyone in rock and roll who is less attractive than Geddy, so anyone would be an improvement, as long as they can sing.

#53 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27944 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

It was playing here in Myrtle Beach but I just couldn't bring myself to go. The last one I went to was the Clockwork Angel's one and the vocals made me slowly sink in my chair as the night progressed. I saw them in Atlanta on their(what I knew would be) last tour. Lousy vocals didn't bother me in the least because I just wanted to see them one last time...

#54 Bahamas

Bahamas

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Thunder Bay, ON
  • Interests:Music, more music, winter stuff

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

No matter the cash grab, etc. We can hope for an annual event and that says lots! I loved the show, seeing folks come out to celebrate the band. I noticed, days after, re-hashing it all in my mind, no Far Cry? Might be wrong? But I love that song live, the change in keys, the climbing of the guitar, it gives me goose bumps! The show was shorter than the concert, plus the humour add-ons, so they could not do the whole tour. Also, since I saw an interview once where Geddy said "my goofy voice" and that he was basically "given" the singing job, I have been less critical.

Edited by Bahamas, 24 August 2019 - 08:27 PM.


#55 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 24 August 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 24 August 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 August 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostGeddyRulz, on 22 August 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 22 August 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

this "film" reminded me Geddy can't sing no more.

He can't!  That's why I find it ironic that HE'S the one who actually wanted to keep touring!  His voice is a better reason to retire than anything else.

This movie was essentially my 16-year-old's "first Rush concert."  Hearing Geddy singing like that, she must've been thinking "THIS is the band my father's been raving about?"
If they ever tour again bring a vocalist to share duties with Geddy. He can do the late recording stuff and yodel or howl through some old stuff but let a vocalist like Amiee Mann handle the bulk.
She is better looking.But they are both geeky looking

I can't think of anyone in rock and roll who is less attractive than Geddy, so anyone would be an improvement, as long as they can sing.
I dunno in his fifties he got attractive. I’m not into to dudes but I shag Geddy.

#56 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2203 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostRolinda Bonz, on 22 August 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

LoL snider  :D

had a great time  :7up:
(even tho phoenix happy valley fans are overdue for another lesson from Brazil  :/ )

totally worth the money...will watch for it to come around next year, too!

oh, and Geddy can still sing   :fucku:

what's the name of the actor that introduced them for the highschool act?

Bonzie!  :o :hi:   :Neil:

I'm with you on all of this!  Geddy's voice is adequate to good on most of R40.  Except for Lakeside Park, that even I as a staunch defender of Geddy's voice have to admit he should have stayed away from.  After seeing the film I was thinking that I wish they had represented Caress Of Steel with some arrangement of In The Valley/The Fountain, from Lamneth.  I think Geddy could have sung that well, and the fans would have gone crazy.

I hope you're well.  I so miss those listening parties we used to have in chat! :wub:

Lakeside park in Port Delousie Ontario -- used to go on that Carosel as a kid..--- chat partys used to rock

#57 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2203 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostRolinda Bonz, on 22 August 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

LoL snider  :D

had a great time  :7up:
(even tho phoenix happy valley fans are overdue for another lesson from Brazil  :/ )

totally worth the money...will watch for it to come around next year, too!

oh, and Geddy can still sing   :fucku:

what's the name of the actor that introduced them for the highschool act?

Bonzie!  :o :hi:   :Neil:

I'm with you on all of this!  Geddy's voice is adequate to good on most of R40.  Except for Lakeside Park, that even I as a staunch defender of Geddy's voice have to admit he should have stayed away from.  After seeing the film I was thinking that I wish they had represented Caress Of Steel with some arrangement of In The Valley/The Fountain, from Lamneth.  I think Geddy could have sung that well, and the fans would have gone crazy.

I hope you're well.  I so miss those listening parties we used to have in chat! :wub:

Lakeside park in Port Delousie Ontario -- used to go on that Carosel as a kid..--- chat partys used to rock

#58 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2203 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostRolinda Bonz, on 22 August 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

LoL snider  :D

had a great time  :7up:
(even tho phoenix happy valley fans are overdue for another lesson from Brazil  :/ )

totally worth the money...will watch for it to come around next year, too!

oh, and Geddy can still sing   :fucku:

what's the name of the actor that introduced them for the highschool act?

Bonzie!  :o :hi:   :Neil:

I'm with you on all of this!  Geddy's voice is adequate to good on most of R40.  Except for Lakeside Park, that even I as a staunch defender of Geddy's voice have to admit he should have stayed away from.  After seeing the film I was thinking that I wish they had represented Caress Of Steel with some arrangement of In The Valley/The Fountain, from Lamneth.  I think Geddy could have sung that well, and the fans would have gone crazy.

I hope you're well.  I so miss those listening parties we used to have in chat! :wub:

Lakeside park in Port Delousie Ontario -- used to go on that Carosel as a kid..--- chat partys used to Lakeside park in Port Delousie Ontario -- used to go on that Carosel as a kid..--- chat partys here used to rock
getting pumpped up for every Rush concert on this forum the day prior.. LeStudio Morin Heights.. -- all in the past now ..however some of the fondest memories

#59 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1568 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

The one new thing I learned from Alex Lifeson is that 'snakes and spiders often travel together'.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users