Rush photos- Wandering The Face of the Earth

blueschica

Anyone got their copy yet? Amazon tells me delivery between Oct. 31 and Nov 4

Taking my time with it. Very hardcore. Still in the Fly By Night chapter. As expected does not appear to be have any new quotes from the band.so far.

Love the essays that begin each chapter so far. This is probably as definitive as it gets. As many questions as answers. There's a lot we're just never going to know. Familiar stories and unfamiliar ones and a ton of photos I've never seen before. Another "down the rabbit hole book" in the best of ways. Written with love.

Anyone film the book release party in TO?

This was my one and only Christmas present. I tell everyone not to buy me anything because I don't need any new stuff! My kids bought me this book and I love it. Yes a lot is previously known, but the little tidbits of the early shows have been a lot of fun to read. I can't believe all of the high school shows that happened before I got into the band. Those would have been great to see. I think the biggest band I actually saw at high school was Triumph.
  • Like 2

I was at the book signing in Toronto, met the authors and a few of the people on the picture that Blueschica posted. It was a really cool, laid back type of event on a Saturday night. I decided not to get the book, but will try to interview one of the authors.

I was at the book signing in Toronto, met the authors and a few of the people on the picture that Blueschica posted. It was a really cool, laid back type of event on a Saturday night. I decided not to get the book, but will try to interview one of the authors.

Ask them how the B-man was involved in this project.

I bought the book based on the commentary in this thread.

It's fantastic - I'm just devouring it.

This is some dense information, and I'm learning a A LOT of stuff I had never heard before.

That story about one of Bill Graham's roadies wrecking Alex's gear is pretty fascinating.

And that criminal undercurrent they had to navigate in their early days - never really knew about that aspect. Howard is a badass.

• Like 3

This is some dense information, and I'm learning a A LOT of stuff I had never heard before.

That story about one of Bill Graham's roadies wrecking Alex's gear is pretty fascinating.

And that criminal undercurrent they had to navigate in their early days - never really knew about that aspect. Howard is a badass.

No kidding! The things bands had to do before they hit the big time. Long hauls on the road, promoters who didn't want to pay up etc. No wonder most bands don't make it. Persistence is a key! Rush definitely had it when you go through their concert history show by show. Crazy!

• Like 2

No kidding! The things bands had to do before they hit the big time. Long hauls on the road, promoters who didn't want to pay up etc. No wonder most bands don't make it. Persistence is a key! Rush definitely had it when you go through their concert history show by show. Crazy!

And this type of touring is just crazy - they played EVERYWHERE. They didn't just link themselves with an established touring band - they essentially toured ALONG with the headliners, opening for them, andplaying other gigs in between. The schedules for the Rush, FBN and COS tours are insane. They did not stop. I LOVE that about them. They one their fans over one by one.

Even Van Halen didn't do this shit - they hung around LA and played the strip and parties in Pasadena. They didn't properly tour until they were signed. Rush were already road dogs by the time Rush came out.

I also didn't realize that Rutsey was practically out of the band once Rush was properly released. Poor bastard. Everyone in the book speaks highly of him.

Another thing that pops out at me is how LERXST was the star in the early days. Peart's drumming is regarded as serviceable at best (which is hilarious, because he was a monster back in 75).

What a f***ing awesome band.

• Like 5

I wonder if Neil wishes he was that thin again?

What about Alex? lol.

Him too. But he is in better shape than Neil.

I think it all started going downhill during the All The World's a Donut tour aka T4E.

Alex was a bit portly and bloated in the 90's for sure. He looked better towards the end of the decade. Slimmed down a lot and his face didn't look like he had drunk (drank? :huh: ) a 48-pack and two quarts of vodka every day for a month.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

And this type of touring is just crazy - they played EVERYWHERE. They didn't just link themselves with an established touring band - they essentially toured ALONG with the headliners, opening for them, andplaying other gigs in between. The schedules for the Rush, FBN and COS tours are insane. They did not stop. I LOVE that about them. They one their fans over one by one.

Even Van Halen didn't do this shit - they hung around LA and played the strip and parties in Pasadena. They didn't properly tour until they were signed. Rush were already road dogs by the time Rush came out.

I also didn't realize that Rutsey was practically out of the band once Rush was properly released. Poor bastard. Everyone in the book speaks highly of him.

Another thing that pops out at me is how LERXST was the star in the early days. Peart's drumming is regarded as serviceable at best (which is hilarious, because he was a monster back in 75).

They had no choice but to play anywhere at anytime...they had no radio or real record company support.
  • Like 2

It was something else. Opening for Aerosmith in front of 12,000 fans one night and playing a high school gym the next. That just doesn't happen anymore. Do decent bands even play at high schools anymore?
  • Like 2

They had no choice but to play anywhere at anytime...they had no radio or real record company support.

Conditions that ended up helping them in every aspect of their career.

• Like 1

It was their stated intention from Day 1. Big reason why the legend grows even today.