New Opeth coming soon

A little surprised there's been no talk of the new album since it dropped a couple weeks ago (unless I missed it? I actually did a search).

I like the songs alot - probably the most consistently good writing of the "New-peth" era. Growl-only Opeth fans will be disappointed; this is definitely an advancement of their prog approach. All the songs have their charms, but "Dignity" "Hand In Heart" "Universal Truth" and "Continuum" stand out for me. I like the ballad "Lovelorn Crime" as well. I read Mikael wanted every song to have an "epic" feel; and I would say he succeeded. His vocals are absolutely top notch, and Frederick turns in some fantastic guitar solos; while Axe is killing it on the drums (when you can hear it...)

On the other hand, I absolutely detest the production. To me, this is worst sounding Opeth album in the modern era. The mix is atrocious - some things sound like they were recorded in a cave. The drum sound is abysmal. I get a headache trying to discern kick drums, ride cymbals, acoustic guitars, and wall of sound approach - a victim of too much compression/loudness and I think Mikael wanted a vintage metal sound... but blah! Nothing has room to breath in the mix; when things get busy (and they do!) there is almost no resolution of individual sounds. I've tried it in my car, on my HD theater system, on my Grados, on ear buds, changing EQ, etc. can't fix it. I like to listen to the Swedish version; but honestly I understand just as many words on the English version because you can hardly discern syllables or enunciation in the vocals.

The production is really a shame and I will admit having a really hard time getting over it. I can tell I like the songs and performances alot; but it's almost like a bad audience recording of a great show... Thus, I have a mixed feeling about it; I'm giving it some time and it is warming and the songs have become really powerful, in spite of the production. (However, I will say that it's been unable to unseat "Fear Inoculum" from my #1 spot - of which I also love the songs, but has immaculate production to near perfection.)

• Like 1

I like it a lot. I had to tear myself from it because it was stuck on repeat in the car for too long, and I have several good new albums to absorb [not Tool :p ]. It will be returning shortly!

The mix is on par with the other 'new era' albums, which is to say... mediocre. From a nuts and bolts perspective, it's better than Sorceress (which as you might recall had WAAAY too much low end, as if by accident that wasn't caught in time it's so bad). I don't listen to Opeth for their mixes, they'd be one of the last bands I'd use as audio music testing material. It's a shame because they're certainly worthy of having someone who knows what they're doing trump whoever doesn't in the band forcing these bad mixes on everyone. Blackwater Park the last great sounding Opeth album? Watershed wasn't too bad I suppose.

Edited by stoopid