#2 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34901 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

View PostWandering Hermit, on 19 August 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

Always cause for happiness!

https://www.youtube....h?v=yAh7XQ0whvg

Heard this a few weeks ago. Very encouraging.

#3 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 35470 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 19 August 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostWandering Hermit, on 19 August 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

Always cause for happiness!

https://www.youtube....h?v=yAh7XQ0whvg

Heard this a few weeks ago. Very encouraging.

This track is a masterpiece.

#4 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 37944 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:06 AM

Stunning 😍

#5 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

Both songs I've heard are promising.

#6 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34901 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:03 AM

View Poststoopid, on 21 August 2019 - 08:54 AM, said:

Both songs I've heard are promising.

Is this the other one you heard? Just had my first listen, and if these two songs are indicative of the what the album will sound like, I think a lot of Opeth fans will be happy.

#7 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1483 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

A little surprised there's been no talk of the new album since it dropped a couple weeks ago (unless I missed it?  I actually did a search).

I like the songs alot - probably the most consistently good writing of the "New-peth" era.  Growl-only Opeth fans will be disappointed; this is definitely an advancement of their prog approach.  All the songs have their charms, but "Dignity" "Hand In Heart" "Universal Truth" and "Continuum" stand out for me.  I like the ballad "Lovelorn Crime" as well.  I read Mikael wanted every song to have an "epic" feel; and I would say he succeeded.  His vocals are absolutely top notch, and Frederick turns in some fantastic guitar solos; while Axe is killing it on the drums (when you can hear it...)

On the other hand, I absolutely detest the production.  To me, this is worst sounding Opeth album in the modern era.  The mix is atrocious - some things sound like they were recorded in a cave.  The drum sound is abysmal.  I get a headache trying to discern kick drums, ride cymbals, acoustic guitars, and wall of sound approach - a victim of too much compression/loudness and I think Mikael wanted a vintage metal sound... but blah!  Nothing has room to breath in the mix; when things get busy (and they do!) there is almost no resolution of individual sounds.  I've tried it in my car, on my HD theater system, on my Grados, on ear buds, changing EQ, etc. can't fix it.  I like to listen to the Swedish version; but honestly I understand just as many words on the English version because you can hardly discern syllables or enunciation in the vocals.

The production is really a shame and I will admit having a really hard time getting over it.  I can tell I like the songs and performances alot; but it's almost like a bad audience recording of a great show... Thus, I have a mixed feeling about it; I'm giving it some time and it is warming and the songs have become really powerful, in spite of the production.  (However, I will say that it's been unable to unseat "Fear Inoculum" from my #1 spot - of which I also love the songs, but has immaculate production to near perfection.)

#8 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

I like it a lot.  I had to tear myself from it because it was stuck on repeat in the car for too long, and I have several good new albums to absorb [not Tool :p ].  It will be returning shortly!

The mix is on par with the other 'new era' albums, which is to say... mediocre.  From a nuts and bolts perspective, it's better than Sorceress (which as you might recall had WAAAY too much low end, as if by accident that wasn't caught in time it's so bad).  I don't listen to Opeth for their mixes, they'd be one of the last bands I'd use as audio music testing material.  It's a shame because they're certainly worthy of having someone who knows what they're doing trump whoever doesn't in the band forcing these bad mixes on everyone.  Blackwater Park the last great sounding Opeth album?  Watershed wasn't too bad I suppose.

Edited by stoopid, 09 October 2019 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users