10 Classic Albums originally panned by Rolling Stone

goose

Great article. Love this ending, "If you’re not embarrassed by your youth, what good are you?”

Here's an article I recently discovered that I'm sharing below by Paste Magazine.

Why We Still Need Music Criticism

The music critic—more often than not unkempt and impoverished, isolated at his or her desk surrounded by teetering piles of books and CDs, arguing peevishly with an editor on the phone—may seem an unlikely candidate as the savior of Western Civilization. But only music critics can articulate with words (i.e. translate into consciousness) our instinctive response to song. Only they can connect the dots and close the deal on art’s attempt to heal the mind/body breach.

Riiiiight. And only music critics can indoctrinate young minds in leftist thought. If the album isn't in some way for the oppressed and against the oppressors that album ain't shit, right Mr. Music Critic?

• Like 1

Here's an article I recently discovered that I'm sharing below by Paste Magazine.

The music critic—more often than not unkempt and impoverished, isolated at his or her desk surrounded by teetering piles of books and CDs, arguing peevishly with an editor on the phone—may seem an unlikely candidate as the savior of Western Civilization. But only music critics can articulate with words (i.e. translate into consciousness) our instinctive response to song. Only they can connect the dots and close the deal on art’s attempt to heal the mind/body breach.

Riiiiight. And only music critics can indoctrinate young minds in leftist thought. If the album isn't in some way for the oppressed and against the oppressors that album ain't shit, right Mr. Music Critic?

I don't know how much politics really has to do with it, but I share your skepticism. No one needs music critics. People are more than happy (and very much prefer) to decide for themselves what they like to listen to. In this day and age they are more than able to choose pretty much anything they want. So critics are mostly helpful in giving recommendations for new music you might like, or new music you should steer clear of. Now that's not to say they have a very good track record predicting what the average person will like, but if you follow a particular critic for long enough, you can get to know their biases. With that knowledge on hand, you can better decide how seriously to take their reviews, and what they might have panned that you would actually really enjoy. Or what they might have praised that you wouldn't care to listen to. I look at critic reviews mostly out of curiosity, and because they're easier to find and examine than fan reviews and comments under youtube videos and such. I read a Pitchfork review with a spoon of salt, but I still read it as they'll likely have a grain of what I want to know about a record.

I think the best reviewers these days are on YouTube though. Something about the informal video review format on such a public forum encourages more common sense criticism and fewer haughty snobs. That's not to say I take them completely seriously either, but I'd trust a TheNeedleDrop or a Spectrum Pulse review more than The Guardian or Rolling Stone.

• Like 1

"Exile on Main Street appears to take up where Sticky Fingers left off, with the Stones attempting to deal with their problems and once again slightly missing the mark. They've progressed to the other side of the extreme, wiping out one set of solutions only to be confronted with another. With few exceptions, this has meant that they've stuck close to home, doing the sort of things that come naturally, not stepping out of the realm in which they feel most comfortable. Undeniably it makes for some fine music, and it surely is a good sign to see them recording so prolifically again; but I still think that the great Stones album of their mature period is yet to come. Hopefully, Exile on Main Street will give them the solid footing they need to open up, and with a little horizon-expanding (perhaps honed by two months on the road), they might even deliver it to us the next time around."

What cocaine and gin fueled excrement. Not saying anything at all. How the f**k do you "miss the mark" but make "undeniably fine music"? Someone should've punched this c*** in the face, and probably did.

God I get fukking sick of people like you inventing a liberal conspiracy for every fukking thing in life. Tell me this genius, if music critics "indoctrinate young minds in leftist thought" why the fukk did they all hate Black Sabbath with songs lime War Pigs, Sweet Leaf, etc.?

Edited by driventotheedge

God I get fukking sick of people like you inventing a liberal conspiracy for every fukking thing in life. Tell me this genius, if music critics "indoctrinate young minds in leftist thought" why the fukk did they all hate Black Sabbath with songs lime War Pigs, Sweet Leaf, etc.?

Easy partner. You're already triggered. Argue my points and leave the ad hominem attacks out of it. I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. But a pattern of indoctrination emerges because there's a predominant leftist political disposition that exists in all arts criticism. In the main, music critics are on the left and save their highest praise for bands that fit their worldview and their disdain for bands that don't...especially if the work in question takes any kind of political stance. You haven't noticed this? Pretty plain to see if one bothers to look.

• Like 1

You don't have to say anything about a conspiracy. You inferred it. Go turn Fox news on and jack off to it man. And I gave you a perfect example of a band that critics absolutely despised with what you would call liberal leanings on songs like War Pigs and Sweet Leaf Edited by driventotheedge

I don't know how much politics really has to do with it, but I share your skepticism. No one needs music critics. People are more than happy (and very much prefer) to decide for themselves what they like to listen to. In this day and age they are more than able to choose pretty much anything they want. So critics are mostly helpful in giving recommendations for new music you might like, or new music you should steer clear of. Now that's not to say they have a very good track record predicting what the average person will like, but if you follow a particular critic for long enough, you can get to know their biases. With that knowledge on hand, you can better decide how seriously to take their reviews, and what they might have panned that you would actually really enjoy. Or what they might have praised that you wouldn't care to listen to. I look at critic reviews mostly out of curiosity, and because they're easier to find and examine than fan reviews and comments under youtube videos and such. I read a Pitchfork review with a spoon of salt, but I still read it as they'll likely have a grain of what I want to know about a record.

I think the best reviewers these days are on YouTube though. Something about the informal video review format on such a public forum encourages more common sense criticism and fewer haughty snobs. That's not to say I take them completely seriously either, but I'd trust a TheNeedleDrop or a Spectrum Pulse review more than The Guardian or Rolling Stone.

I trust your reviews EP ... You are good at it!

• Like 1

Easy partner. You're already triggered. Argue my points and leave the ad hominem attacks out of it. I didn't say anything about a conspiracy. But a pattern of indoctrination emerges because there's a predominant leftist political disposition that exists in all arts criticism. In the main, music critics are on the left and save their highest praise for bands that fit their worldview and their disdain for bands that don't...especially if the work in question takes any kind of political stance. You haven't noticed this? Pretty plain to see if one bothers to look.

I'll stay out of this minefield except to lob this grenade. I don't always see things as Joe (Rogan) sees them but I do here no doubt. "Chappelle's new special 0% on RT" (at the time, compared to 99% approval from the public). Sums things up very nicely at 1:50.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

You don't have to say anything about a conspiracy. Go turn Fox news on and jack off to it man. And I gave you a perfect example of a band that critics absolutely despised with what you would call liberal leanings on songs like war pigs and Sweet leaf

I'd have to see the reviews you're talking about but why doubt you on it? Anyone can cherry-pick a review and say, "See, I'm right."

Things may have changed somewhat now because the internet allows alternative voices to be heard and some push-back to be made but mainstream music critics over the decades have generally preferred punk and rap's anarchic, tear down society, fight the power, stick up for the marginalized ethos to metal's more jackbooted sound and fashion sense and lyrical themes that generally don't address what critics feel are the real problems of the world. Add to this that metal has been traditionally played by white guys for white guys and things start to get very problematic for the lefty music critic. It changed a bit when Metallica entered the picture and metal started gaining a little respect but you'd still be hard-pressed to find any review from a mainstream music critic that calls any metal band (or hard rock or prog band, for that matter) "important" the way they regularly do of punk, post-punk, rap and hip-hop artists. When they say important, they as often mean important to society as they do to music.

Rock, hard rock, even prog got a lot more critical respect during the 60s because during that era these movements really did represent cultural revolution and upheaval. Contrast this with the 70s when they became more and more commercialized and mainly marketed to middle-class kids. Enter punk as the counterpoint and music critics had their clear-cut good guys and bad guys.

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 1

One more thing about this article I think is worth mentioning. This critic's sense of his own importance is off the charts. I just love how, in so many words, he patronizingly tells us we won't be able to understand what artists are saying with their songs. We critics are the experts. We'll tell you what the artists are saying. And we'll save the world while we do it.

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

I'll stay out of this minefield except to lob this grenade. I don't always see things as Joe (Rogan) sees them but I do here no doubt. "Chappelle's new special 0% on RT" (at the time, compared to 99% approval from the public). Sums things up very nicely at 1:50.

Welcome to cancel culture. Enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

One more thing about this article I think is worth mentioning. This critic's sense of his own importance is off the charts. I just love how, in so many words, he patronizingly tells us we won't be able to understand what artists are saying with their songs. We critics are the experts. We'll tell you what the artists are saying. And we'll save the world while we do it.

:laughing guy:

:goodone:

Rise and save us from ourselves!

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

like x infinity

99% approval from joe public and this is the RT lead in...

Critics Consensus

Edgy, but empty, Sticks and Stones won't break any bones, but it won't elicit many laughs, either

dis.con.nect

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

You don't have to say anything about a conspiracy. Go turn Fox news on and jack off to it man. And I gave you a perfect example of a band that critics absolutely despised with what you would call liberal leanings on songs like war pigs and Sweet leaf

I'd have to see the reviews you're talking about but why doubt you on it? Anyone can cherry-pick a review and say, "See, I'm right."

Things may have changed somewhat now because the internet allows alternative voices to be heard and some push-back to be made but mainstream music critics over the decades have generally preferred punk and rap's anarchic, tear down society, fight the power, stick up for the marginalized ethos to metal's more jackbooted sound and fashion sense and lyrical themes that generally don't address what critics feel are the real problems of the world. Add to this that metal has been traditionally played by white guys for white guys and things start to get very problematic for the lefty music critic. It changed a bit when Metallica entered the picture and metal started gaining a little respect but you'd still be hard-pressed to find any review from a mainstream music critic that calls any metal band (or hard rock or prog band, for that matter) "important" the way they regularly do of punk, post-punk, rap and hip-hop artists. When they say important, they as often mean important to society as they do to music.

Rock, hard rock, even prog got a lot more critical respect during the 60s because during that era these movements really did represent cultural revolution and upheaval. Contrast this with the 70s when they became more and more commercialized and mainly marketed to middle-class kids. Enter punk as the counterpoint and music critics had their clear-cut good guys and bad guys.

I feel like this has started teetering too political for the general music forum. At any rate, who knows why critics like what they like and don't like what they don't. And artists they pan today they wind up praising 20 years down the road when they see their criticism never kept x artist from selling out stadiums and having a huge cultural impact with influences still felt today. Look how everyone finally came around on Rush about 2012 after years of complaining about Ged's voice and Peart's lyrics. I don't care which way a critic swings politically, I just care that they're giving me their honest opinion of the music and that I can understand where their opinion is coming from. If yes to both of those, I have at least a mild use for them in weeding through the chaff of the music industry to find some wheat.

I think this is actually a good point. I admit I don't read every review written by every critic about every album. But with interesting regularity, critics seem to lavish praise on releases by rap artists, focusing a fair amount of attention on how intelligent the social commentary is. I can't recall ever reading a review where the opinion was how weak or even mediocre the latest offering from, say, Kanye or Jay-Z is. By contrast, albums by Metallica or Iron Maiden or Judas Priest routinely get labeled "plodding" or "redundant" or the like, even when it's a late career gem like Firepower or Hardwired to Self Destruct. We get it guys. You're not racists. You're open-minded.

• Like 2

I bought only 2 issues of Rolling Stone.

One in my college years, that had a story on Dee Snyder's PMRC hearing.

The Rush one.

I had a free subscription to it in the early 90's... won it in a raffle. Some fracking prize.... Ugh.

Edited by grep

I think this is actually a good point. I admit I don't read every review written by every critic about every album. But with interesting regularity, critics seem to lavish praise on releases by rap artists, focusing a fair amount of attention on how intelligent the social commentary is. I can't recall ever reading a review where the opinion was how weak or even mediocre the latest offering from, say, Kanye or Jay-Z is. By contrast, albums by Metallica or Iron Maiden or Judas Priest routinely get labeled "plodding" or "redundant" or the like, even when it's a late career gem like Firepower or Hardwired to Self Destruct. We get it guys. You're not racists. You're open-minded.

Rap is the zeitgeist in music these days, but I have definitely seen rap albums get heavy criticism for sucking regularly. The latest album by Chance The Rapper was widely despised by critics and fans. The last couple Eminem albums also haven't been super well reviewed (mostly his Revival record). On the other hand, I recall Firepower receiving a lot of praise as a late career gem, and Hardwired as well. Maybe we're just not reading the same reviews.

Rap is the zeitgeist in music these days, but I have definitely seen rap albums get heavy criticism for sucking regularly. The latest album by Chance The Rapper was widely despised by critics and fans. The last couple Eminem albums also haven't been super well reviewed (mostly his Revival record). On the other hand, I recall Firepower receiving a lot of praise as a late career gem, and Hardwired as well. Maybe we're just not reading the same reviews.

Panning Eminem would actually strengthen the overall point though. It's "safe" to hammer Eminem.

I actually have no idea who Chace is, but RS seems to prove the point too.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/chance-the-rapper-the-big-day-865145/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/chance-the-rapper-the-big-day-865145/

Some odds and ends I didn't address the first time around.

You don't have to say anything about a conspiracy. You inferred it.

It can't be a conspiracy if they're not hiding it. lol.

Go turn Fox news on and jack off to it man.

I'm left mostly. Perhaps more to the right with speech though. I've never voted for a republican candidate at any level my entire life. I just think the free-speech hating SJW far left don't understand the nature of or the damage they're causing to our most important right. I'm not the only lefty who thinks this.