Artist/Song Mistaken Identity

There's days when I'm out and about and hear a song in the background of a shopping mall or grocery store, and am aware of the artist and title.

However there's times I get a 'brain fart' and believe it's someone or something else and am wrong.

The tempos and melodies are nearly similar but not in an intentional way.

This happened with some 80's hit pop songs I heard, which are the following.

Some other examples; the song 'Sunny Days' by Lighthouse; I assumed was a Billy Joel song. Also 'Goodbye Stranger' by Supertramp; I assumed was The Bee Gees. 'Just Another Night' by Ian Hunter, I assumed was The Rolling Stones. 'Time Heals' by Todd Rundgren; I assumed was Hall & Oates. 'Sub-Rosa Subway' by Klaatu; I assumed was The Beatles. 'Self-Control' by Laura Brannigan; I assumed was Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine.

Edited by RushFanForever

There was a song by the Cars from the mid-80's that never sounded like them. Every time it would come on, I'd ask who did the song.

I think it was Drive.

Yeah, Drive was a slower song. Most of their songs were more upbeat. I can see why someone wouldn't think it was them.

• Like 2

There's days when I'm out and about and hear a song in the background of a shopping mall or grocery store, and am aware of the artist and title.

However there's times I get a 'brain fart' and believe it's someone or something else and am wrong.

The tempos and melodies are nearly similar but not in an intentional way.

This happened with some 80's hit pop songs I heard, which are the following.

Some other examples; the song 'Sunny Days' by Lighthouse; I assumed was a Billy Joel song. Also 'Goodbye Stranger' by Supertramp; I assumed was The Bee Gees. 'Just Another Night' by Ian Hunter, I assumed was The Rolling Stones. 'Time Heals' by Todd Rundgren; I assumed was Hall & Oates. 'Sub-Rosa Subway' by Klaatu; I assumed was The Beatles. 'Self-Control' by Laura Brannigan; I assumed was Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine.

Isn’t Just Another Night on Jagger’s She’s the Boss album? Or is this a different song you’re talking about.

Isn’t Just Another Night on Jagger’s She’s the Boss album? Or is this a different song you’re talking about.

They're both different songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfaB0AKbZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hev2qx1y2IU

However Ian's song and The Rolling Stones cover of 'Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)' are almost the same.

• Like 1

One time I got 'At The Hundredth Meridian' by The Tragically Hip and 'Half The World' by RUSH mixed up before the vocals began.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCFo0a8V-Ag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAyA6Sml0MI

It's the D and C chord changes that threw me off.

Edited by RushFanForever

I was a huge Scorpions fan back in the day, I still listen to them regularly. In 1983 (after a long wait for their followup to Blackout), a song comes on the radio called "Send Me an Angel". I was convinced that it was a new Scorpions songs and that they'd gone "electronic" when in fact it was by a band called "Real Life". To this day, I still think it sounds like Klaus singing that song.

The funny thing is that the Scorpions later released their own completely unrelated song called "Send Me an Angel".

Another one...when I first heard the song "Jump" in 1984, I needed some convincing from friends to assure me that it was a Van Halen song.

When I was just first getting into rock and music, I had trouble keeping Paul McCartney, Paul Stanley, and Paul Rodgers' names from getting mixed up...and I also once thought that Shooting Star was that one long song by Queen that I really liked (which turned out to be Bohemian Rhapsody).
  • Like 1

When I was a little kid, probably about 10 years old, I swore up and down that Cherry Pie was Def Leppard.

I turned that age right when that song came out. That was when I started watching MTV Top 20 regularly every week and it was on there for about a month.

When I was 17 and I first heard The Way by Fastball, I swore it was some old Elvis Costello song I never heard before.

Edited by invisible airwave

Initially I thought 'Never Tear Us Apart' by INXS was an Elton John song back then.

Michael Hutchence and Elton John have similar sounding vocals.

Also 'Your Love' by Outfield; initially I thought was Christopher Cross.

'Horse With No Name' by America; many thought it was Neil Young.

I always thought 'The Way' by Fastball, had Tom Johnston of The Doobie Brothers on vocals.

Edited by RushFanForever

Stuck In The Middle by Stealers Wheel sounds like Bob Dylan, and that song "If you want it, here it is come and get it" sure sounds like McCartney and the Beatles. Of course, he did write it and gave it to Badfinger. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Don't forget about the lawsuit involving Huey Lewis and Ray Parker Jr.

Huey wrote "I Want A New Drug" first.

Then of course Ray wrote the "Ghostbusters" Theme.

Huey sued Ray and won the case in court.

Both songs are insanely the same.

• Like 1