FEAR INOCULUM

custom55

Here's my final thoughts. After having this album play for several days in the car, it's time to move on. This was longer than most albums that don't click with me after a few listens, so I gave it more than a fair amount of time. If it were not Tool, I would have switched to something else after just a couple listens.

Overall: 6/10 [ALL the songs drag on, at some point, for too long and could have been cut by several minutes. Maynard's angst is gone, which doesn't leave behind much worth listening to since we've been here, done that musically]

Tracks:

1. "Fear Inoculum" 10:20 -- 5/10 [whole song borrows elements from prior material, sadly it sets the bar fairly low for the songs that follow]

2. "Pneuma" 11:53 -- 6/10 [opening riff waaay too much like "Right In Two", then sounds like anything from Lateralus]

3. "Invincible" 12:44 -- 8/10 [other than the bassist using that tired flanged delay effect, this is one of the stronger tracks]

4. "Descending" 13:37 -- 6/10 [Maynard is wandery (and detached from the music at times) on this, song never solidifies/pays off]

5. "Culling Voices" 10:05 -- 6/10 [Maynard's best vocal performance hindered by shoehorning of lyrics, build-up only quasi pays off]

6. "Chocolate Chip Trip" 4:48 -- 9/10 [fun track, stands out as something unusual on what is otherwise an album of gross predictability]

7. "7empest" 15:43 -- 7/10 [7here's a lot to like about 7his song, especially 7he first 7hird... 7hen 7hey rely 7oo much on a merely fair guitarist 7o be extraordinary, and an extraordinary drummer 7o carry 7he song]*

Highs: Carey's drumming is exceptional. Overall execution of the songs is solid, even if they're drawn out and borish.

Lows: Repetition, repetition, repetition. They are clearly out of fresh ideas.

Opiate is the only album I would rank anywhere close to this low, all of their prior releases are solid 9/10 to 10/10 for me.

I felt compelled to share my thoughts. Don't know why, maybe I wished for more and feel some trust as a fan violated with the lackluster results.

* Anyone else notice the static starting at 12:45 [this is just one example] -- remind anyone of Vapor Trails and the over-compression issue? :-/ These mastering clowns really need to be put out of work.

I've snuck in another full listen recently, and have heard a few tracks individually (like the Vic Firth video of Danny's drumming). My overall opinion of the album hasn't changed, just too many recycled riffs and plodding. However, I'd probably be more apt to give it a 7/10 which is still exceptionally low for any Tool album for me. The initial burn of having something I couldn't fall in love with from one of my favorite bands had me truly hurt, but now some time and acceptance of its mediocrity have passed and listening objectively it's okay enough. It c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ should have been exceptional.

I'm curious to know if all the praise from those who loved the album on first listen has changed as I suspect it would. Now that the 'new toy' / hype has died down. Edited by stoopid

I'm curious to know if all the praise from those who loved the album on first listen has changed as I suspect it would. Now that the 'new toy' / hype has died down.

I still love it. I do think its missing that blockbuster hit that most of their other records have but still a solid effort all the way through and its undeniably TOOL. I love the TOOL sound so I love this record.

I'm curious to know if all the praise from those who loved the album on first listen has changed as I suspect it would. Now that the 'new toy' / hype has died down.

I was never too excited about it from the beginning and that hasn't really changed. The songs are generally too long and the sparsity of lyrics leads to boredom for me. If the songs had a faster tempo or more lyrical content, I think I'd like it better.

Still love it, probably even more. I'd put it in my top 3 Tool albums and Best of 2019.

Still love it, probably even more. I'd put it in my top 3 Tool albums and Best of 2019.

I wouild have hoped Craig would have talked some sense into ya. I guess the topic never came up. :P