• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#141 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34745 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 September 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

I really have grown to love the album.  It is undeniably Tool.  They didn't get outside their element for sure.  But the music, especially the drums and bass, are over the top good and the production quality is perfect.

Got my tickets for November.  I can't wait.

As an album that you play through from start to finish, I definitely like it better than 10,000 Days. I miss not having at least one snappy shorter song like "Vicarious" but that's a minor quibble.

I downloaded the album from HD Tracks. Hi-res flac files. It sounds phenomenal on my home theater system.

Sponsored Post

#142 P-Tor

P-Tor

The Seeker

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

Taylor Swift fans are pissed.

https://metalinjecti...FKocVc845PYUWGE

#143 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 37544 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

View PostP-Tor, on 08 September 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

I'm a Taylor Swift fan and am delighted to see her in knocked off the top spot by another artist I love!

#144 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 8902 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:21 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 08 September 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

I really have grown to love the album.  It is undeniably Tool.  They didn't get outside their element for sure.  But the music, especially the drums and bass, are over the top good and the production quality is perfect.

As an album that you play through from start to finish, I definitely like it better than 10,000 Days. I miss not having at least one snappy shorter song like "Vicarious" but that's a minor quibble.

I downloaded the album from HD Tracks. Hi-res flac files. It sounds phenomenal on my home theater system.

Although I prefer their 1st 4 albums, I respect that Tool has grown by further exploring their progressive, immersive and complex style. Not by leaving their roots behind by coming up with an entirely new style (ahem synth) or "that lyrical style is too immature for me now."

The album is essentially six songs that average 12 minutes and a drum solo and three segues.

Imagine if a band like Rush were as bold in their mid 50s.

#145 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

Member titles are overrated!

• Members *
  • 18216 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostP-Tor, on 08 September 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

Who?

#146 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 37544 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostGabesCavesOfIce, on 09 September 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Although I prefer their 1st 4 albums, I respect that Tool has grown by further exploring their progressive, immersive and complex style. Not by leaving their roots behind by coming up with an entirely new style (ahem synth) or "that lyrical style is too immature for me now."

The album is essentially six songs that average 12 minutes and a drum solo and three segues.

Imagine if a band like Rush were as bold in their mid 50s.

Rush have their best, and never took 13 years between albums to deliver the goods. Not a fair comparison.

#147 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 12323 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

I'm definitely diggin' it but I need a road trip so I can really take the time to listen in it's entirely.

#148 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

This came up in my youtube suggestions today, and it triggered the dead horse kicker in me to post here...

This is what I hear missing from the new album.  None of the songs come anywhere near this level of intrigue, complexity, or meaning:

Edited by stoopid, 13 September 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#149 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 10196 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

View Poststoopid, on 13 September 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

This came up in my youtube suggestions today, and it triggered the dead horse kicker in me to post here...

This is what I hear missing from the new album.  None of the songs come anywhere near this level of intrigue, complexity, or meaning:

Getting old is a bitch.....

The young man rips, the old dude over thinks.

#150 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10626 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:36 AM

It is what is is. I think WE overthink things more than they do, quite honestly.  Getting old may indeed be a bitch for the band, but unfortunately it applies to the difficult to please older fan too.

#151 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 10196 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

View PostPresto-digitation, on 14 September 2019 - 04:36 AM, said:

It is what is is. I think WE overthink things more than they do, quite honestly.  Getting old may indeed be a bitch for the band, but unfortunately it applies to the difficult to please older fan too.

In addition to murphy i also am a huge fan of parkison...

work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion

Tool, really are masterful in all regards.
Marketing included and their sucess with their latest proves that scarcity is the key component of value. ... blah blah blah

#152 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1240 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:18 PM

View Posttangy, on 14 September 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

Marketing included and their sucess with their latest proves that scarcity is the key component of value. ... blah blah blah

They figured this out with Salival.  They could have started up the presses again but decided to let this one go out of print.

https://www.ebay.com...et/174029492009

#153 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1479 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

Bullshit.

Alot of that analysis holds about as much validity as the Wizard of Oz / Dark Side of the Moon connection.  Over-analytical fan imagination.

I could use any song on the new album as an example of beautiful complexity - but the one that comes to mind first is "Invincible."  While not overly-complex for the sake of complexity (a critical mistake that so many young prog-ish band make), it has a great flow of 7's, 6's, and 5's and Danny lays down one of his gems (different, but on par with similar approaches on Aenima (Euology) or Lateralus (title track)) the 3 against 7 pattern (video lesson posted earlier in this thread). The song breakdown into 7/4 (if you count the intro in 7/8) which Danny mirrors on the drums before laying down a thick 4/4 backbeat against the 7.  Then a pause.....and....wait for it....the climax back to 7/8 with Danny playing a straight out of "Natural Science" 7/8 pattern.  This song, like Pneuma (another brilliant track) makes use of liquid time, fore-shadowed parts, brilliant tranistions, and , yes, even some catchy vocal lines to build an economical neo-prog tour de force.

I'm sorry you're missing it.  I put this album on par with all their previous work and see it as a unique and matured vision for Tool.

#154 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1240 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Postcygnify, on 16 September 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

Alot of that analysis holds about as much validity as the Wizard of Oz / Dark Side of the Moon connection.  Over-analytical fan imagination.

No doubt, but the fact these connections can be made (and this video's content isn't new/unique to this video, or this song for that matter, it was just the example in front of me at the time) is the embodiment of why FI failed to meet even the lowest of expectations I had.  Which is to say, I literally had NO expectations.

Danny's drumming is the only bright spot (as I noted in my in semi in-depth review).  But I can't listen to 70 something minutes of music only for the drumming.

#155 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 7746 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

I sat down with the lyrics and headphones yesterday and listened/read intently. I skipped the filler tunes and only listened to the ones with lyrics, albeit not many lyrics, and I found 7empest to be my favorite. All the songs are overly long for my taste but I guess I'll have to be content with it seeing as it may be the last Tool album we get. After a couple of listens, it isn't as good as Lateralus nor 10,000 Days imo,.

#156 custom55

custom55

The Sphere

• Members
  • 7760 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

On deck shows:
    Dead & Co - Nov 1
    TOOL - Nov 16
    Phish - Dec 28
    Satisfaction - Jan 6
    The Musical Box - Apr 4, 2020 4th annual TRF meetup

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:48 AM

Tool opened their tour last night with a reduced setlist at the Aftershock Fest.  

This

https://youtu.be/Mu6ni2m6eMI?t=445

#157 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 34431 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

View PostRushman14, on 11 September 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

I'm definitely diggin' it but I need a road trip so I can really take the time to listen in it's entirely.

Heading to LA this weekend!  Taking the 101 straight down!  Will be cranking lots of TOOL in my car!  Hitting both shows at Staples Center!!

#158 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 34431 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

View Postcustom55, on 14 October 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

Tool opened their tour last night with a reduced setlist at the Aftershock Fest.  

This

55!  That's why I passed on Aftershock.  No thanks!  I don't do festivals and I certainly won't pay to see a shorted TOOL set, hence I'm heading down to LA!

#159 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 34431 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:11 PM

View Postcygnify, on 16 September 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

Bullshit.

I could use any song on the new album as an example of beautiful complexity - but the one that comes to mind first is "Invincible."  While not overly-complex for the sake of complexity (a critical mistake that so many young prog-ish band make), it has a great flow of 7's, 6's, and 5's and Danny lays down one of his gems (different, but on par with similar approaches on Aenima (Euology) or Lateralus (title track)) the 3 against 7 pattern (video lesson posted earlier in this thread). The song breakdown into 7/4 (if you count the intro in 7/8) which Danny mirrors on the drums before laying down a thick 4/4 backbeat against the 7.  Then a pause.....and....wait for it....the climax back to 7/8 with Danny playing a straight out of "Natural Science" 7/8 pattern.  This song, like Pneuma (another brilliant track) makes use of liquid time, fore-shadowed parts, brilliant tranistions, and , yes, even some catchy vocal lines to build an economical neo-prog tour de force.

I'm sorry you're missing it.  I put this album on par with all their previous work and see it as a unique and matured vision for Tool.

Hahaha!  I have that Wizard Of Oz Dark Side dvd.  It's a trip!

#160 custom55

custom55

The Sphere

• Members
  • 7760 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

On deck shows:
    Dead & Co - Nov 1
    TOOL - Nov 16
    Phish - Dec 28
    Satisfaction - Jan 6
    The Musical Box - Apr 4, 2020 4th annual TRF meetup

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 14 October 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

View Postcustom55, on 14 October 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

This

55!  That's why I passed on Aftershock.  No thanks!  I don't do festivals and I certainly won't pay to see a shorted TOOL set, hence I'm heading down to LA!

I'm also done with festivals.  Been to many and they're just too crazy for me.  

I've got tickets for Nov 16th, with a seat !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users