FEAR INOCULUM

custom55

The drumming is exquisite on this album.

It's definitely a great listen, currently though I'd place it behind Lateralus and Aenima.

• Like 2

I found Opiate!! All good!!!

Glad you've come round!

• Like 1

Just listened start to finish at the gym. There are some great musical passages on this album so I'm a fan. As Segue said, the drumming is exquisite.

They are touring and playing in my neighborhood in November so I will be getting tickets. One band to check off my bucket list.

• Like 1

It's definitely a great listen, currently though I'd place it behind Lateralus and Aenima.

Oh my Goodness Michael. "The drumming is exquisite on this album." The perfect circle, I mean perfect quote. My mind is blown away.

So please hear me out.

You know me. I jump to hasty conclusions.

I hated "Appetite For Destruction" when it came out. I returned the cassette tape for store credit.

Then a month later I bought it again and fell in love.

I'm a pattern.

I never should have went off prematurely. "That's what she said." LOL! A joke.

I do that a lot though. At least I'm consistent. I need to give things more of a chance. Not just music obviously.

Amazing.

it's incredible to me. TOOL has taken years off. So have I of their music.

I am listening to the entire catalog again.

It's so fresh to my ears.

Kind of ironic?

I've been a TOOLHEAD since the beginning but their live shows eventually bored me. The videos over and over again.

It's all good.

Danny Carey and his "Sacred Geometry" Kit. Crowley meets the Mathematic Merlin. WTF is that all about? Incredible.

I guess when Danny joins Geddy and Alex for an album and a tour he can put 2112 geometric stars all over his Simmons pads and bass drumheads.

Very RUSH at a higher level.

Or perhaps a lower level.

Signed,

"Dante's Inferno"

LOL

Oh my Goodness Michael. "The drumming is exquisite on this album." The perfect circle, I mean perfect quote. My mind is blown away.

So please hear me out.

I hated "Appetite For Destruction" when it came out. I returned the cassette tape for store credit.

I'm a pattern.

I do that a lot though. At least I'm consistent. I need to give things more of a chance. Not just music obviously.

Amazing.

Kind of ironic?

I've been a TOOLHEAD since the beginning but their live shows eventually bored me. The videos over and over again.

It's all good.

Danny Carey and his "Sacred Geometry" Kit. Crowley meets the Mathematic Merlin. WTF is that all about? Incredible.

I guess when Danny joins Geddy and Alex for an album and a tour he can put 2112 geometric stars all over his Simmons pads and bass drumheads.

Signed,

"Dante's Inferno"

LOL

If it means anything, I used to own 10,000 Days when it came out, and loved it. But Tool music has always been expensive, and I never made an effort to get into them until all the music came on Spotify. So they went from being a band I really loved an album of, to being absolutely blown away.

Lateralus is now easily one of the greatest metal albums I've ever heard. I really, truly, wish I had bought their music earlier.

A Perfect Circle are awesome too.

• Like 1

The album is aces except for the drum solo track with the f***ing stupid title. The album is as long as it is, leave it off. Studio drum solos are passé and f***ing boring, as phenomenal as the man is at his craft. Terrible editorial choice. Otherwise I really dig it.
  • Like 1

So please hear me out.

I'm a pattern.

Amazing.

Kind of ironic?

It's all good.

Signed,

"Dante's Inferno"

LOL

If it means anything, I used to own 10,000 Days when it came out, and loved it. But Tool music has always been expensive, and I never made an effort to get into them until all the music came on Spotify. So they went from being a band I really loved an album of, to being absolutely blown away.

Lateralus is now easily one of the greatest metal albums I've ever heard. I really, truly, wish I had bought their music earlier.

A Perfect Circle are awesome too.

Nice! Glad you are getting your TOOL fix on Spotify! Glad their stuff is on Apple Music now as well. TOOL RULES! Glad I took many years off from their music. It's very fresh again! I do like A Perfect Circle too! Also did you know that Danny Carey plays drums on the first GREEN JELLY album?

• Like 1

The album is aces except for the drum solo track with the f***ing stupid title. The album is as long as it is, leave it off. Studio drum solos are passé and f***ing boring, as phenomenal as the man is at his craft. Terrible editorial choice. Otherwise I really dig it.

Hahahaha! I love your rant! But as a drummer I love it! :P

I am debating going to see Tool in October (about a 250-mile drive one way), but I am more interested in the opening act.

If I go, I will certainly tape them. I may tape Tool.

Maybe.

It will really depend on that setlist (AKA if there are songs from previous albums I would like to see and are there enough of them to interest me).

I am debating going to see Tool in October (about a 250-mile drive one way), but I am more interested in the opening act.

If I go, I will certainly tape them. I may tape Tool.

Maybe.

It will really depend on that setlist (AKA if there are songs from previous albums I would like to see and are there enough of them to interest me).

You're still using magnetic tape to illegally record concerts? How nostalgically dishonest.

I am totally f***ing digging this new album! Intense, mesmerizing beautiful, brutal. :dweez: It is definitely more long-form Tool, with extended instrumental jam passages; so perhaps fans of only the Sober/Stinkfist/Vicarious-style Tool may not fully appreciate it (and apparently weren't paying attention to Maynard's past comments about short attention spans, 14-minute live versions of Pushit, or 24 minutes of Disposition/Reflection/Triad noodling on the sacred Lateralus! :AlienSmiley: ) All of the hallmarks of Tool are there, perhaps fooling some into believing that Tool is just regurgitating past works - as if they expected the band to totally re-invent themselves or start playing trendy neu-metal with accessible hooks :eyeroll: : I mean it's f***ing TOOL with the same musicians that made Aenima, Lateralus, 10kD - you're going to get Danny slaughtering every track with tribal drum madness, Adam's atmospheric minimalist post-modern approach, Justin's lead bass with hypnotic spaced out riffs, and Maynard's 2019 indoor voice. If you expected differently,or are mistaken that it is the same material, you are kidding yourself. Expectations can be pesky things. The thing is, there are lots of new sounds here (synth?, vocal harmonies, guitar solos, more extensive use of Danny's mandala melodic drum, etc.) Additionally, there are significant differences in the arrangement of songs. There are no accessible hook laden singes (think Sober, Stinkfist, Schism, Vicarious); there is a lot of layering and subtle atmosphere, but very economic in terms of riffs. I have heard criticisms that the songs are too long or don't go anywhere; clearly the same fans that didn't appreciate the previously noted 14 minute Pushit,an 11 minute exploration of No Quarter, or the sparseness of 17 minutes of Wings for Marie/10kD because these songs are every bit as engaging.

7empest is a really cool musical journey with a killer riff that reminds me more of a post-modern Black Sabbath riff than anything Tool did previously. The improv-ish section in the middle reminds me of King Crimson approach - you can get mesmerized in the base pattern which changes almost imperceptibly until you realize that it's a different part. The tension builds for what seems like forever and then, eventually, there is a payoff with a non-traditional vocal hook and return to the intro ; a brilliant cross-time pattern between Adam and Danny on his Mandala melodic drum (one playing eighth note triplets, the other 16th note triplets and then they trade off a couple times; a really cool and clever effect.)

Pneuma is also a prime example of a 2019 Tool Classic. There is no mistaking it is Tool, but it doesn't appear on any other album - it's clearly new and fresh. The pacing of this song builds the tension until a doomy chorus. Then I have never heard Adam pull out such a thrash metal riff as he does on this song. I would encourage any Tool fan that isn't getting this album to listen to this song by itself. Try to imagine any other band playing the song. You can't, it is clearly Tool. And it is new Tool.

Invincible is perhaps the closest to a "hook" on the album? But again, there are sounds and riffs that are unlike anything on prior albums. Tool's math rock approach in fine form with a new doozy. Here's a lesson for the 7 over 3 section

http://youtu.be/tLvxWix_Pzw

Descending has been previewed live in recent years and I heard the live recordings from earlier this year. The studio version solidifies this as another new classic. Yes, the bass in the intro is very similar to Wings for Marie. I can excuse that because the entire rest of the song is unique and EPIC. Adam's guitar is a tour de force here with more "Soloing" than I've ever heard from him (including a dual melodic harmony solo!) The climax is the return to the original guitar riff with Danny smacking the gong (somewhat subdued on the album compared to the live recordings!) EPIC!

I have heard criticisms of CC Trip; but I am a drummer, so I get to say it f***ing rocks! Seriously, every Tool album features segues - even the "sacred" Lateralus burns alot of time with atmospheric noodling (I still consider that masterpiece one of the greatest albums ever.) I mean, come on, 10KD had "Lipan Conjuring", Lateralus Faaip de Oaid, Aenima Cesaro Summability, and Undertow 15 minutes of f***ing crickets and you're going to complain about Danny Carey f***ing shredding a drum kit over some spacey loops??!? Give me CC Trip all day over all of those segues!!!

Fear Inoculum took alot of flack for sounding derivative; but again, I refer to my prior comments. This is Tool in it's purest form. When Tool arrived circa 1992 they were unique in rock music. They are the same line-up since 1996. While some sounds might remind you of past works (some of which are masterpieces), make no mistake, this is new Tool. There are new elements and I found Maynard's voice in fine form. This song has a more streamlined approach than anything on Lateralus and even 10kD. There's an economy in the parts and it has lots of parts which add up to something greater than the sum of the parts.

Culling Voices was my least favorite upon first listen. It is sort of the "ballad" of the disc; but don't be fooled as it returns as a m***********. It has grown on me quite a bit. One of the heavy riffs reminds me a bit of Iron Maiden or perhaps a lost Black Sabbath riff

The other downloadable segues are trippy atmospheric noodles and add a cool pacing to the album. It makes for an overall transcendent experience.

I think Fear Inoculum is brilliant, but I'll stop short of calling it a masterpiece at this time; I got into Tool in 1992 with Undertow. I liked it, and thought it was strange. I liked Aenima even more when it came out and it grew to my favorite of 1996. Lateralus earned "masterpiece" designation fairly quickly for me (after one of my favorite live shows of all time TOOL in Paris on the pre-seminal Lateralus tour. Magic!) ; and there was no question years later when I was still returning to that disc. 10KD was not automatic with me; but I continued to listen to it and relate with it, and eventually got to the point where I had to say, yeah, it was a masterpiece as well. But different than Lateralus or Aenima. Fear Inoculum is different once again. Right now, I really love it. I'm sure that will intensify for some time. Only after a significant time would I be able to rate it against those other masterpieces.

p.s. did I mention that Danny slaughters all over this disc??!? wow. But, gotta add, I have heard more than once that this is Adam's finest work and I gotta say he shines too!

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1

honestly......it's a REALLY good album. but i'd take every other Tool album over it.

it just feels like everything on it has been done much better in the past.

people i feel are hoisting it up BECAUSE of 13 years of no Tool.

7/10

Mick

• Like 1

In a month or two I wonder how much play the album will be getting. Decades later I still spin their older albums. Is this album *really* that good? That's the true test.

• Like 1

In a month or two I wonder how much play the album will be getting. Decades later I still spin their older albums. Is this album *really* that good? That's the true test.

I rarely listen to any Rush after Counterparts anymore. To me, that's been the true measure and test when I think about how much I actually like certain albums/eras/material. I went through the motions with S&A, CA, VT... they got played a fair bit upon release, but basically got shelved a few months later.

Edited by stoopid

i feel like with Fear they just took all the albums and hit blend. and while nothing's bad. it just doesn't have any of the excitment and drive the others have.

just my opinion.

Mick

• Like 1

If being redundant is a good thing, then the new album is good. I listen to it, and I hear nothing new. :huh:
  • Like 1

If being redundant is a good thing, then the new album is good. I listen to it, and I hear nothing new. :huh:

I am very redundant which means I am very good.

LOOT RULES!!!!

"Money talks, suckers walk, but you can't touch my three lock box........"

Love,

Sammy Hagar