Non-performing lyric writers

I was thinking about the subject of songwriters who write just 'lyrics', but AREN'T a performing member within a band and/or solo artist.

Here's a few that come to mind listed below.

1. Bernie Taupin - lyricist for Elton John.

2. Robert Hunter - former lyricist for The Grateful Dead.

3. Pye Dubois - former lyricist for Max Webster and sometimes collaborates with Kim Mitchell and provided Neil Peart with lyrics for RUSH.

4. Polly Samson - former lyricist for Pink Floyd and collaborates with David Gilmour on solo albums.

5. Pete Brown - former lyricist for Cream and Jack Bruce.

6. Keith Reid - lyricist for Procol Harum.

7. Pete Sinfield and Richard Palmer James - lyricists for King Crimson.

If anyone can think of other's please post.

Edited by RushFanForever

It's not all that common a model in rock music, is it?

In pop music you have someone like Diane Warren, who's written everything, but if she's ever released any music of her own, I've never heard it. In country music -- correct me if I'm wrong -- it's more likely the artist did not write the song than did.

But rock music had always had more of "we write it, we play it" ethos -- though like you point out, there are numerous exceptions, and in the 1960s, especially, artists traded songs all the time. Think of all the Lennon/McCartney tunes played by other bands. Or the recycled songs (do we think of Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends" as a cover song?).

Did punk change that? More DIY? Page and Plant didn't feel any compunction about "borrowing" other's ideas, but Willie Dixon, for instance, was also a performing artist.

All of which is to say, no, I can't think of more examples off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Can't think of many, although seeing Robert Hunter named reminded me of him collaborating with Dylan, then I thought of other Dylan co-writers, like the late Sam Shepard, and Jacques Levy. And it wasn't just Page and Plant borrowing - Dylan stole a lot. Love and Theft was a very apt album title!

Does Jim Steinman for Meat Loaf count? He wrote both Bat Out Of Hell albums himself and a number of hit singles for other artists but he rarely performs.

This is the person who came to mind for me.