Lightning kills phone, Sat receiver, etc.

pjbear05

Remember the lightning monster from Johnny Quest? Keep yer eyes peeled.....!!

jonny-quest-invisible-monster-2.jpg?w=500

Edited by Principled Man

Wow...

You still have a home phone?

Yeah, it goes back to when I was working for Uncle Sam, some screwball rule about having a hardline phone connnection. A lot of coworkers who telework have them too.

Hey, you folks have lake effect snow up there. We have these nasty MF's called hurricanes. They can jack up electric power to your house and leave with no AC and a fridge full of rotten food. But the hardline phone system runs off it's own phantom power system, and I've had multiple instances of the house power going out, but the phone lines are operational, go figure.

Craziest was when Wilma blew through here a few years ago. No power at the house for three days, but the phones worked, and even when we did get power on, tree damage around my work building kept the power out for another four days. Without power no servers, meaning no phone, no internet, no computer systems, work told us stay home.

Edited by pjbear05

AT&T tech just left, basically replaced the modem controlling the phone, Wifi and internet. still waiting on new satellite receiver, should be another day at most. :dweez:
  • Like 2

A week and a day later, and I'm almost done. New phone wired in and working new master sat recdiver/dvr and tv in and working. I have a new tv in the back room for the remote sat receiver, but can't get a signal, need a new HDMI cable. The CSR's at DirecTV/AT&T have been stellar in helping get things right. It just all the frustration is getting to me. Ah, but what does an old coot like me know?
  • Like 1

A week and a day later, and I'm almost done. New phone wired in and working new master sat recdiver/dvr and tv in and working. I have a new tv in the back room for the remote sat receiver, but can't get a signal, need a new HDMI cable. The CSR's at DirecTV/AT&T have been stellar in helping get things right. It just all the frustration is getting to me. Ah, but what does an old coot like me know?

Life has a way of teaching for those of us with a Brain, so I'd think you're equiped pretty well!

RpClKD3.gif