The R40 Tour: Was Geddy the only member that was happy?

43 replies to this topic

#21 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2689 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

View Postgrep, on 28 July 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostThree Eyes, on 28 July 2019 - 03:48 AM, said:

I definitely noticed a more serious, less jovial Alex when I saw them do their last show in LA on 8/1/15. I guess you could also float the theory that he was angry it was the last tour and he wasn't ready to end it but that doesn't hold much water.

Neil wrote something about how he had some kind of end of the road t-shirts printed up and passed them around. Alex got pissed off and threw his in the trash.  Something like that.

So yeah, Lerxst wasn't happy.

I'd hate to say this, but sometimes it does seem that Alex (and to an extent Neil) felt some kind of resentment towards Ged as he's the one who really wanted this tour to just happen in the first place, let alone extend it (which never happened).

Its kind of sad to think about this, but any sort of tour extention could have meant the permanent end of their friendship.

Sponsored Post

#22 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2549 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

Regarding fraroc's comments, in relation the 'Time Stand Still documentary sums up what's printed here in 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Edited by RushFanForever, 28 July 2019 - 08:49 PM.

#23 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5198 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

View Postfraroc, on 27 July 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 July 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 25 July 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

Well specifically, one of the clips I was talking about was Jacob's Ladder from Vegas. Neil was being normal stoic Neil so that's to be expected, but Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted expression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone. Meanwhile, Ged was the polar opposite, having fun, smiling...

https://www.youtube....h?v=KVVCBwDJ5rI

THAT was supposed to show how angry Lifeson was during that tour?! "Punch someone"?!
Yeah, you're reading too much into it.

Haven't you ever been so concentrated on something that you weren't smiling? Of course you've been there! We all have.

One of the most enjoyable things to me is playing racquetball and tennis. Without a doubt, I'm certain I'm not smiling much of the time playing either sport. But no way am I angry or would I like to punch anyone no matter what the corners of my mouth look like.

Come on, man. Think about it.

Mostly, I'm basing my comparison on that clip of Jacobs Ladder and the R40 DVD with the Clockwork Angels live DVD.  It just seemed like his overall demeanor was a different, and as sad as it is to say, kinda seemed like he lost his enjoyment of playing live.

I know Alex doesn't smile 100% percent of the time, but he did a lot more on the CA tour than R40.

Still don't understand how a judgement on an entire tour demeanor could be made on a single video clip.

#24 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5963 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 July 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

Well specifically, one of the clips I was talking about was Jacob's Ladder from Vegas. Neil was being normal stoic Neil so that's to be expected, but Alex on the other had such an angry, disgusted expression on his face at times that he looked like he was going to punch someone. Meanwhile, Ged was the polar opposite, having fun, smiling...

THAT was supposed to show how angry Lifeson was during that tour?! "Punch someone"?!
Yeah, you're reading too much into it.

Haven't you ever been so concentrated on something that you weren't smiling? Of course you've been there! We all have.

One of the most enjoyable things to me is playing racquetball and tennis. Without a doubt, I'm certain I'm not smiling much of the time playing either sport. But no way am I angry or would I like to punch anyone no matter what the corners of my mouth look like.

Come on, man. Think about it.
It is a very dark and gloomy sounding song for the most part. It just wouldn't feel right if he had a huge smile on his face throughout the whole song.

#25 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 50393 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

View Postgrep, on 28 July 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

http://www.neilpeart...15-bubbagram-1/

Somewhere in those stories near the end of R40 is (or WAS) the bit about Alex being pissed off. Anyway, here's the t-shirt in question. From neilpeart.net

Posted Image
I never knew Neil did that.  Guess he thought his comrades shared his sentiment about the band.  I know Geddy was choked up at that last show.  You could see the tension in his throat at the end of the final song.  He looked to me as if he was trying to stop from choking up. How Alex felt about the band coming to an end I do not know, but I think Geddy took it the hardest.  Just my two cents.

Edited by Lorraine, 22 August 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#26 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5419 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

I bet Geddy misses Rush as much as any of us.

Edited by GeddysMullet, 22 August 2019 - 06:13 PM.

#27 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 50393 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 22 August 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

#28 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5419 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 August 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :) :wub:

#29 edhunter

edhunter

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5248 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:11 PM

Replace Neil and move on. Rush is Geddy and Alex. The other guy was just there.

#30 Geddy Jazz

Geddy Jazz

The Seeker

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Rush/World History

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

gedd developing effects w Tech 21. wrting the Most Beautuful Book on Bass Guitar, signing tour, collecting basses.....move on gedd make us happy w some music!

Edited by Geddy Jazz, 14 December 2019 - 09:37 PM.

#31 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1707 posts
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:46 PM

View Postedhunter, on 23 August 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

Replace Neil and move on. Rush is Geddy and Alex. The other guy was just there.
He was the new guy. They can get another new guy.

#32 tomhealey

tomhealey

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:43 AM

Hi All.  I was lucky enough to see the 2015 tour (I still cannot bring myself to call it "The Last Tour," even after four years!!) from pretty good seats on several occasions, start of the tour to finish.  I never thought Alex as down.  Unlike Geddy, who played to the top of the house most of the time, Alex mostly focused his performance on the first few rows.  And he never disappointed us.  If he was unhappy to be there, I never noticed it.  Not once.  I never had the feeling he mailed it in.  
Now, Neil. on the other hand, never mailed it in either, but unhappy?...

#33 Rhyta

Rhyta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:20 AM

I definitely noticed a more serious, less jovial Alex when I saw them do their last show in LA on 8/1/15. I guess you could also float the theory that he was angry it was the last tour and he wasn't ready to end it but that doesn't hold much water.
I think he was upset because he was in pain a lot from his hands (i thought it was psoriatic arthritis which has lesions that get painful. Imagine having those on your fingers and trying to play :scared:)  It was just a difficult time for them since they knew it was their swan song.  Geddy did seem in a lighter mood than the others so I agree with you there.  Wasn't there some banter about this aspect in the Time Stand Still movie?  I seem to remember it.

Oops, missed a couple of posts, someone else addressed this.  :blush:

Edited by Rhyta, 29 December 2019 - 03:23 AM.

#34 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 9602 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

More.

#35 Rhyta

Rhyta

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

Having just started reading Far and Wide, Neil's last book addresses this issue.  Neil was ready to call it a day but told himself if one of the other guys wanted to tour he would have to say yes.  Alex reportedly said he was worried about his arthritis and didn't think he could do another tour if they waited longer.  So that is why they only committed to 35 stops, Alex and Neil felt they couldn't do more and play like they would want to.  I haven't seen anything about the t-shirt situation, maybe it will appear at the end of the book.  Granted this is Neil's recollection but it makes sense.  Also Geddy was probably feeling good overall so of course he would appear more light hearted.  Alex and Neil basically had to gut it out and they did remarkably well IMHO.  I don't think it does any good now to try to find blame with someone.  They finished R40 on a good note and we the fans were glad to see them do so, end of story.

#36 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 50393 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:15 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

More.

You're probably quite right.

He was quite emotional at the end of the LA show.  He was trying to hold it in check.  I got the impression he had a hard time comprehending that this might really be IT.

#37 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14600 posts
  • Interests:Keepin' the man down.
    Knocking before I enter.
    Sweeping up after it's all over!

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

View PostLorraine, on 18 January 2020 - 11:15 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 18 January 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

More.

You're probably quite right.

He was quite emotional at the end of the LA show.  He was trying to hold it in check.  I got the impression he had a hard time comprehending that this might really be IT.
After the show it reminded me of the Walking Dead among the aisles of seats, people laying on the ground, folks crying. It was sad for some....for others....it was just living in the moment.

I must say though, the boys played extremely well at their age. Songs were spot on, except for the the pipes of Gedster. Good not great on the older stuff. Newer stuff was crankin sister

#38 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 20696 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

View Postgrep, on 28 July 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

Neil wrote something about how he had some kind of end of the road t-shirts printed up and passed them around. Alex got pissed off and threw his in the trash.  Something like that.

So yeah, Lerxst wasn't happy.

Wow...I never knew that.

#39 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 22261 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with your observation of Alex.  He simply looks like he is concentrating, doesn't look angry at all to me...

#40 edhunter

edhunter

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5248 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:17 PM

View PostRhyta, on 29 December 2019 - 03:20 AM, said:

I think he was upset because he was in pain a lot from his hands (i thought it was psoriatic arthritis which has lesions that get painful. Imagine having those on your fingers and trying to play :scared:)  It was just a difficult time for them since they knew it was their swan song.  Geddy did seem in a lighter mood than the others so I agree with you there.  Wasn't there some banter about this aspect in the Time Stand Still movie?  I seem to remember it.

Oops, missed a couple of posts, someone else addressed this.  :blush:

I have psoriatic arthritis. It's not the lesions that are painful. I'm assuming Alex is on Humira or Embril or whatever other top-quality meds are out there. The lesions go away really quickly on those meds. But the joint damage if there is any, is permanent, and can make playing a guitar very difficult. My left index and ring finger are permanently bent at the top knuckle. With my smaller hands, it makes playing certain songs on bass impossible. I can only imagine how difficult guitar chords would be.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users