2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Hey, Ibanez Jem, what's happened to Spurs? They've gone and Spurs'ed way ahead of schedule!

There's a very long answer, potentially. Firstly, we've been bang average (a very British phrase) for two years, declining since the season Chelsea won the title under Conte... luckily, Utd and Arsenal have been worse so it's not been noticed. The CL run was crazy, as we were so lucky about five times. We missed new blood due to stadium costs, so the same Poch saying the same words to the same players leads to what we have now... everyone's bored. My semi-flippant answer is that the blip has been the "good" Tottenham of 2015-18; now we're seeing the real Spurs, the club I've known all my life!

There may be differences of opinion but Liverpool came away with a deserved victory. Kane got lucky with that opener, and if the Spurs keeper hadn't stood on his head LFC would have had three or four by halftime. The penalty was maybe softish, but as they say, "I've seen them given."

Keep rolling Reds!

There may be differences of opinion but Liverpool came away with a deserved victory. Kane got lucky with that opener, and if the Spurs keeper hadn't stood on his head LFC would have had three or four by halftime. The penalty was maybe softish, but as they say, "I've seen them given."

Keep rolling Reds!

Of course, a deserved victory. But Spurs sure are crap right now. It`s just like all the years I`ve supported Spurs before Poch. I`m a billion miles from the kind of fan who will allow their shenanigans to bother me too much... but our 2015-2018 competence was fun whilst it lasted.
  • Like 1

Anybody remembers the 1970 Cup Winner's Cup semifinal between Gornik and AS Roma? No away goal rule or penalties in those days, so after two draws, they played a third game in France...another draw. Since there was no time to play again, the referee flipped a coin, declaring the Polish team as the victor. Too bad our boys lost to Manchester City in the final.
  • Like 1

Liverpool leave it late (again), the 5-5 thriller with the Arse, and coming from behind to gig Genk -- it's been a good fortnight to be a Red!

Now Man Shitty, in all their oil-and -slavery glory, come rolling in. Time to sack up, Liverpool!

Liverpool leave it late (again), the 5-5 thriller with the Arse, and coming from behind to gig Genk -- it's been a good fortnight to be a Red!

Now Man Shitty, in all their oil-and -slavery glory, come rolling in. Time to sack up, Liverpool!

:LOL:

that was a fun read.

Friends and I had lunch in a "British pub" where there was a large crowd watching the MSL Cup finals. I got to watch the Seattle Sounders soundly defeat Toronto 3-1 in a very fun atmosphere.

Friends and I had lunch in a "British pub" where there was a large crowd watching the MSL Cup finals. I got to watch the Seattle Sounders soundly defeat Toronto 3-1 in a very fun atmosphere.

That was a pretty good game -- atmosphere does make a difference!

And by a similar 3-1 scoreline, Liverpool beat Man City! Three great goals, plus the delightful sight of Pep ranting and raving and foaming at the mouth over a non-call when he should have been focused on his team's inability to clear crosses!

• Like 2

A sad day indeed, to see Pochettino sacked. Results have been bad since January and there`s always the argument that no trophies have been won - but creating an identity, strong feeling of pride, and a very watchable team that qualified consistently for the Champions League on a fraction of the other top team`s budget is not to be sniffed at. History will certainly view him with much warmth, perhaps even love. Especially now Spurs are likely to clown around in the lower reaches of the table for a while...
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was really surprised to see that. It's been a down season, but form is temporary and class is forever, and Pooch seemed to be a winner. Some other team will probably snag him, and Spurs may live to regret it. Plus, the timing, toward the end of the int'l break, means whoever takes over has less time to get his act together.

Who d'ya think? Benitez? Mourinho? Allardyce? ;)

So it's Mourinho. That didn't take long; something must have been in the works. Anyway, I'm afraid I must now actively root against Spurs, as I have sworn a blood oath to oppose everything Mourinho does until the end of time.

UP THE 'POOL!

• Like 1

So it's Mourinho. That didn't take long; something must have been in the works. Anyway, I'm afraid I must now actively root against Spurs, as I have sworn a blood oath to oppose everything Mourinho does until the end of time.

UP THE 'POOL!

I've always liked him - just not the clubs he's managed. Very pleased with the appointment. There's definitely a logic to it in terms of not winning anything for a decade and Jose being the obvious, if prickly, solution.

Nice first 45 by Man City with two goals to Chelsea's one.

Good match, this one. Much better play than the general garbage I saw in that MSL Cup a couple of weeks ago. lol

They were playing Bucharesti School of the Blind FC, right?

In other news, Unai Emery is out of the Arse! It's all gone sideways in north London (although Spurs have looked better since He Who Shall Not Be Named took over).

• Like 2

They were playing Bucharesti School of the Blind FC, right?

My boss is Romanian. I gotta show this to him. :LOL: In other news, Poland draws Spain and Sweden and probably Ireland at EURO 2020. :16ton: Ouch! How about Germany getting France and Portugal in one of the other groups?
  • Like 1

Group of Death for sure! I never thought I'd pull for the French, but I'm so tired of Ronaldo . . .

Some interesting matchups next summer, definitely!

Edited by Nova Carmina

I`m gonna go ahead and let Ronaldo get to his 100 international goals in some dramatic way, and then knock it off, before it gets daft. Should be good stuff, the Euros. I`m loving the 2pm, 5pm and 8pm kick offs (for the UK). Those long June afternoons and evenings will fly by!

Man Utd showed they are capable of competence yesterday, Also the first week of Amazon showing Prem matches in the UK. Coincidence? I think not! A marketing thing!