2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Salary cap in European soccer would not work. In fact, it would prove disastrous. All the nations in Europe are not on the same financial footing. And just try to tell Ronaldo he can't make his 48.1 million pounds a year any more. He'll be on the next plane to China.

Salary cap in European soccer would not work. In fact, it would prove disastrous. All the nations in Europe are not on the same financial footing. And just try to tell Ronaldo he can't make his 48.1 million pounds a year any more. He'll be on the next plane to China.

Ah, well I was thinking of the impoverished clubs drowning without their crowd income in the Football League - when the annual wages are about 250% of total income, someone should probably step in and stop the madness. Premier League can do as it wishes, unless the TV bubble bursts.
  • Like 1

Ah, well I was thinking of the impoverished clubs drowning without their crowd income in the Football League - when the annual wages are about 250% of total income, someone should probably step in and stop the madness. Premier League can do as it wishes, unless the TV bubble bursts.

Have the clubs not asked their players to take a pay cut? Also, the FA should step in with some moolah. And I know Bayern Munich gave money to all the teams in the lower leagues in Bavaria. Just a few possibilities.
  • Like 1

Have the clubs not asked their players to take a pay cut? Also, the FA should step in with some moolah. And I know Bayern Munich gave money to all the teams in the lower leagues in Bavaria. Just a few possibilities.

There are many conflicting interests at play. TV companies are receiving £350m+ back from the PL as the fixtures have not been fulfilled on time. Therefore, clubs are disinclined to give this money to clubs below them; many lower league clubs have been using the government`s furlough scheme (as my wife and I have!) so they are all being paid, whereas the rich Prem clubs got dog`s abuse for trying the same thing (although Newcastle and Norwich did anyway). So, my poor Spurs for example - they have been paying everyone except the directors full salary, but are going to be without the estimated £5m game match income for some time. They are less bothered about the football pyramid than their immediate ability to pay their massive stadium debt. The problem with the massive amount of professional clubs for me is that good young players go to the academy of Premier League clubs, not to the lower leagues to get transferred up. So they need to justify why they should be bailed out, beyond the fact they have 2,000 regular fans, matter to the community, and have been there since 1868 etc. They are not financially viable and many clubs are going to collapse again in the autumn when the taxman asks for his money, deferred since April...
  • Like 1

Football 365.com came up with a list of the most underrated players of all time. Here's the top 10: 1) David Villa, 2) Fernando Redondo, 3) Gerson, 4) Steve McManaman, 5) Jimmy Greaves, 6) Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, 7) Denis Irwin, 8) Miodrag Belodedici, 9) Robert Lewandowski, 10) Robert Pires.
  • Like 1

David Villa? Lewandovski? Do they mean "not getting paid or transferred for what they're worth"?

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, lol. He must have been better than I remember.

• Like 1

David Villa? Lewandovski? Do they mean "not getting paid or transferred for what they're worth"?

I think they're talking about media treatment.
  • Like 1

Ah, that makes a little more sense. Have they also done a story on guys who keep getting slurped even though they haven't been good for years?

• Like 1

Ah, that makes a little more sense. Have they also done a story on guys who keep getting slurped even though they haven't been good for years?

We can have a crack at that, surely? I`ll start with Ozil. And if I felt like really pushing my luck, I`d throw Messi into this - in the context of him being considered better than Maradona, I just can`t see how he`d have managed to deliver awe-inspring performances season after season if he got kicked the sh*t out of him every game as well as maintaining the number of lovers, kids, cocaine habit and mafia connections Diego had. Maybe it`s just who you grow up watching that matters.
  • Like 1

Ozil is a good shout; no offense meant, friend, but I might add Dele Ali to the list, and Pogba!

Messi? I'd still have him on my team, I think. Yes, Maradona did much more coke, but he more or less flamed out in a shorter window, and Messi's been good for years -- probably because he hasn't been getting a kicking every week! It's hard to compare eras; would Shearer be the same today? Actually, probably, yeah . . .

Ozil is a good shout; no offense meant, friend, but I might add Dele Ali to the list, and Pogba!

Messi? I'd still have him on my team, I think. Yes, Maradona did much more coke, but he more or less flamed out in a shorter window, and Messi's been good for years -- probably because he hasn't been getting a kicking every week! It's hard to compare eras; would Shearer be the same today? Actually, probably, yeah . . .

No offence taken on Dele, don`t worry about that! Can`t think of a player that rose and fell as quickly. He can`t even pass anymore.

The deciding factor for critics between Maradona and Messi as to who has the upper hand is who won the World Cup. Just as Lewandowski's problem is not being able to win the Champions League. It may not be fair, but that's the way it is.

The deciding factor for critics between Maradona and Messi as to who has the upper hand is who won the World Cup. Just as Lewandowski's problem is not being able to win the Champions League. It may not be fair, but that's the way it is.

The analogue in American sports is the argument about greatness because Player X never won a Super Bowl (like Dan Marino) or a World Series (like Ernie Banks!), or the Stanley Cup (like . . . oh, pick one, Pat LaFontaine?) or an NBA title (like Patrick Ewing).

Is Stevie G. downgraded because LFC never won a Premier League title? 'Course, his "golden generation" didn't come close to winning the World Cup, but he did win the Champions League, so maybe that's the bump.

It's hard to win a trophy, and that seems a harsh way to judge individual players, but you're right that it's an easy separator to use.

As for trophies in general reflecting a player`s worth, how about these two England managers -

My favourite player was/is Glenn Hoddle. He won 1 French League, 2 FA Cups and a UEFA Cup. 53 England caps.

One of the least gifted players of Man Utd`s Class of 92, Phil Neville, won 6 Premier Leagues, 3 FA Cups and a Champions League. 59 England caps.

Matt Le Tissier was my second favourite and he won nothing at all (and 8 England caps). "Show us your medals" is all well and good, but I`m a fan and I`ll take something that elevates the game and makes me gasp, every time - that`s what makes me watch.

• Like 1

I`m a fan and I`ll take something that elevates the game and makes me gasp, every time - that`s what makes me watch.

In honor of your lot, then, one of my favorite quotes: "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." -- Danny Blanchflower.

• Like 1

I got my dosage of boredom today, believe me. I watched too many one-goal leads, with the teams ahead trying to convince the referee their players are fouled by repeatedly rolling on the ground. I'm surprised none of them asked for an ambulance. :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

Wasn't there some question, early on, whether Lewandowski would play for Germany or Poland? Would he be viewed differently if he'd been part of the German set-up, rather than "great player on weaker team" as is the case with Poland? (No offense meant, of course!)
  • Like 1

Wasn't there some question, early on, whether Lewandowski would play for Germany or Poland? Would he be viewed differently if he'd been part of the German set-up, rather than "great player on weaker team" as is the case with Poland? (No offense meant, of course!)

Lately, there's been some daydreaming in the German press about what it would've been like had Lewandowski played for their national team. However, it was never an option, because Robert already had his debut with Poland while he was still playing in the Polish league for Lech Poznan. Right now, he would definitely be in the German starting line-up, since the team has no talent up front apart from Werner and Muller. But when you look at prior years (2008-2014) he would've been sitting on the bench at best, imo.
  • Like 1

Funny moment in my team's game yesterday. Late in the game, the referee noticed one of our players sitting in the stands without a mask. The ref went to the player wanting to give him a yellow card. The player explained he is still injured and is not on the team's roster for today's game. The ref had to put the card back in his pocket.

"Wait, you're not actually sitting here?"

"Not technically, no. Not today."

"Oh, okay. Nevermind." [blows whistle, game carries on]

Well, he could not have been booked because he was not eligible to play. I'm thinking the federation will give him a fine.
  • Like 1