Jump to content


2019-20 Football/Soccer Thread


  • Please log in to reply
319 replies to this topic

#1 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:54 AM

It may be presumptuous of me to start a new thread, but I watched Liverpool against B. Dortmund* last night, and I'm getting psyched for the new season! That two months of off-season is just way too much!

I'm really hoping B. Munich can pry Sane out of Manchester City because I think that would help give an edge to Liverpool in the Premier League.

My bold prediction:

1) Liverpool
2) Man City
3) Spurs
4) Chelsea

Man City will probably prioritize the Champs Lge this year, so I see a Man City v. Barca final.

Roll on the season!




(What's that? The result? It was a pre-season friendly! It means nothing!)

Sponsored Post

#2 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1372 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

I'll take that third place right now, thanks NC :7up:
Off-season is a pain, PL three weekends away and Championship just the two. But if ever a team needed a rest it is everyone at Spurs, Pochettino included.  After the '18 WC lasted longer than expected for England and then Spurs made the CL final too, 11 months without much rest was really showing...

#3 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

Will there be any new signings this year, or will Pooch go two years with the same 16 guys? Minus Trippier, I suppose . . .

Edited by Nova Carmina, 20 July 2019 - 11:33 AM.


#4 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1372 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 20 July 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Will there be any new signings this year, or will Pooch go two years with the same 16 guys? Minus Trippier, I suppose . . .
We've bought Ndombele for £63m so it's reasonable to expect him to inject midfield quality. Wonder if your title challenge will be hampered by Mane and Salah playing African Cup of Nations, when I'm sure Klopp would rather they'd been resting?

#5 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot him.

Yes, Klopp's already moaning about the busy summers for those guys. It will mean more time for Origi (probably not a bad thing), and maybe some youngsters can be brought in to give the Big 3 a breather.

I went with Spurs third because I don't see how Arsenal, ManUre, or Chelsea will be all that much better. Chelski got Pulisic, but lost Hazard, and I'm not crazy enough to think that's a swap. United is basically the same team, and Arsenal are gonna Arsenal.

#6 Citizen of the World

Citizen of the World

    The Majestik Moose

  • Members
  • 5163 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Burnaby, BC

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:04 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 20 July 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

It may be presumptuous of me to start a new thread, but I watched Liverpool against B. Dortmund* last night, and I'm getting psyched for the new season! That two months of off-season is just way too much!

I'm really hoping B. Munich can pry Sane out of Manchester City because I think that would help give an edge to Liverpool in the Premier League.

My bold prediction:

1) Liverpool
2) Man City
3) Spurs
4) Chelsea

Man City will probably prioritize the Champs Lge this year, so I see a Man City v. Barca final.

Roll on the season!




(What's that? The result? It was a pre-season friendly! It means nothing!)
As a die-hard Liverpool fan I hope you are right. The start of the season is a concern as Firmino also hasn't had much rest this summer. I do love this squad and Klopp though. He has gone back to the Shankly days where no player is greater than the team and they all seem to have bought into that.

#7 Tony R

Tony R

    Prog Archivist

  • Members *
  • 20382 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Close To The Edge
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:44 AM

1. Man Utd
2. Liverpool
3. Leicester
4. Chelsea
5. Man City
6. Wolves
7. Tottenham

Umm...:lol:

#8 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:50 AM

Well, I wouldn't mind City falling to fifth at all, and that would be quite an improvement for Leicester and Wolves, but if LFC lose the title to ManU by a point, I may throw myself off a bridge!

#9 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 26101 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

Lewandowski had a good game against Real Madrid, and Legia Warsaw lost their season opener. There you go, can't be bad.  :ebert:

#10 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1372 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

Juve 2-3 Spurs.  Harry Kane scores with a last minute wonderstrike from the halfway line.  There it is, our best result and goal of the season... and it's not even August.

#11 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 26101 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:08 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 21 July 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Juve 2-3 Spurs.  Harry Kane scores with a last minute wonderstrike from the halfway line.  There it is, our best result and goal of the season... and it's not even August.
Yeah, bad luck for Szczesny, but he almost saved it. I blame the horrible play by the defender in the center circle.  :bitchslap:

#12 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:28 PM

I'll just pop back in to remind everyone that pre-season friendly results mean nothing! And there's a reason Simon Mignolet isn't our first-choice keeper.

Carry on.

Is there a way to pin this thread?

#13 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 26101 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

View PostNova Carmina, on 21 July 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

I'll just pop back in to remind everyone that pre-season friendly results mean nothing! And there's a reason Simon Mignolet isn't our first-choice keeper.

Carry on.

Is there a way to pin this thread?
You can talk to 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 aka 73, but he hates soccer.  :outtahere:

#14 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

    Superconductor

  • Members *
  • 1372 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton England
  • Interests:Guitars, TV and films, Nature, Art/art history, US politics, Football (soccer) and most sports, Non-fiction, Not going out, Cats (especially black and white tuxedo cats)

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

View Postblackhawkrush, on 21 July 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 21 July 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Juve 2-3 Spurs.  Harry Kane scores with a last minute wonderstrike from the halfway line.  There it is, our best result and goal of the season... and it's not even August.
Yeah, bad luck for Szczesny, but he almost saved it. I blame the horrible play by the defender in the center circle.  :bitchslap:
I did a quick search for my "Szczesny empathy remarks" file, but came up empty :eyeroll:

#15 blackhawkrush

blackhawkrush

    Commit to the Indian

  • Members *
  • 26101 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Chicago
  • Interests:Chicago Blackhawks. Detroit Redwings. Guess which one I lied about.

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostIbanezJem, on 22 July 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

View Postblackhawkrush, on 21 July 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostIbanezJem, on 21 July 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Juve 2-3 Spurs.  Harry Kane scores with a last minute wonderstrike from the halfway line.  There it is, our best result and goal of the season... and it's not even August.
Yeah, bad luck for Szczesny, but he almost saved it. I blame the horrible play by the defender in the center circle.  :bitchslap:
I did a quick search for my "Szczesny empathy remarks" file, but came up empty :eyeroll:
Maybe you should visit Poland. :hi: It's a beautiful country. O.K, Szczesny came out too far, but there were three Juventus players and one Kane in the middle of the field. I don't think Wojciech expected any trouble.

#16 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:40 AM

Just bumping this thread by once again reminding everyone that pre-season results do not matter! (please don't matter, please don't matter, please don't matter. . . )

#17 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

Liverpool 3-1 Lyon. Finally!

Yeah, I know what I said before  . . .

#18 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

It looks like Spurs have gotten more active on the transfer market, here at the close of things. Pretty good signings for them, I'd say.

#19 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

LIVERPOOL 4-1 Norwich City

We're top of the league, baby!

#20 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2342 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Missouri USA
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

Okay, so we're second in the league, baby.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users