Apollo 11 50th anniversary

vaportrailer

YouTube played this video live on Tuesday morning, in exact synch with the time of the launch. 9:32 AM EST July 16th, 1969

CBS News coverage of the launch....BRILLIANT!!

• Like 4

I’ve watched the actual footage and some more commemorative programming about it this week- two nights ago on CBS and last night on PBS...really remarkable, just incredible that we were able to go from first powered flight to humans walking on the surface of the moon within 65 and a half years. And what a sense of wonder there was back then, about the moon landing. It was so much bigger of an event 50 years ago than it would be today. Really proudly historic moment for humankind back then.
  • Like 5

Really proudly historic moment for humankind back then.

Even though the primary reason for the Apollo program was political, it did not in any way detract from its magnificence and importance to Humanity. The people of Earth were immensely proud of and excited about the accomplishment.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

• Like 4

I remember how we used to get up early in the morning to watch the Gemini missions before I went to school. The summer of the Moon landing was very memorable and I get goose bumps as I watch these videos. The CNN movie had a lot of new (unseen before) footage and it made me so proud and happy to be an American, :sigh: those were wonderful days.

I listened to Countdown yesterday and I think I will again. Even though it was about the Space Shuttle, it still gives me that sense of pride when I listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-8yCKwhBE

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 6

I’ve watched the actual footage and some more commemorative programming about it this week- two nights ago on CBS and last night on PBS...really remarkable, just incredible that we were able to go from first powered flight to humans walking on the surface of the moon within 65 and a half years. And what a sense of wonder there was back then, about the moon landing. It was so much bigger of an event 50 years ago than it would be today. Really proudly historic moment for humankind back then.

And in the 50 years since then, have only really started to make new advances toward manned space flight recently. Space X with those reusable rockets, and I guess Virgin Galactic with the commercial space plane.

Space Shuttle doesn't count, as cool as it was. Designed during the tail end of the Apollo era.

• Like 1

Walter Cronkite, broadcasting just as Armstrong takes the small step: "Oh boy."

I was watching an interview with Cronkite the other night from about 2005 or so, and the interviewer (I can’t recall who it was) said that for someone like Cronkite, who as a newsman was never at a loss for words about anything- that particular occasion was one huge exception. He was just speechless.

• Like 2

Walter Cronkite, broadcasting just as Armstrong takes the small step: "Oh boy."

I was watching an interview with Cronkite the other night from about 2005 or so, and the interviewer (I can’t recall who it was) said that for someone like Cronkite, who as a newsman was never at a loss for words about anything- that particular occasion was one huge exception. He was just speechless.

Two days ago was the 10th anniversary of his passing. He was married to his wife, Mary, for 65 years. From 1937 to 1981, he reported on events from WWII to the Nuremberg trials to Kennedy's assassination to the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions to the John Lennon murder.

"The most trusted man in America" was the only non-NASA individual to receive the Ambassador of Exploration Award.

14-cronkite.jpg

• Like 4

Exactly 50 years ago, at this time of day, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were in the Lunar Module, making final preparations before detaching from the Command Module and descending to the moon.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

https://www.history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_11i_Timeline.htm

• Like 2

Truly an outstanding example of what can be done when our will matches our ambitions. A great moment then, and still a great moment now.

I don't want shake my fist at clouds and tell kids to get off my lawn, but I'm a little afraid we don't make 'em like that anymore. Maybe we can be re-inspired.

I, too, have given "Countdown" some re-listens this week!

• Like 1

20:17:39 GMT - July 20th, 1969

Tranquility Base Here. The Eagle has landed.

• Like 3

July 20th, 1969 - Apollo 11: The first Humans walk on the Moon

497tcUY.jpg

17 years later.....

July 20th, 1976 - Viking 1 lands on Mars. The first successful landing mission on the Red Planet.

mzCpSZ3.jpg

• Like 3

12:50 PM EST July 24th, 1969

SPLASHDOWN. The greatest feat of Human engineering and exploration has been accomplished.

uWgyc7m.jpg

2Vt9eTX.jpg

• Like 1

Did I miss some math ^^^ upthread? Seven years, yes, not seventeen?

Whoops.... I goofed.... :oops:

497tcUY.jpg

7 years later.....

July 20th, 1976 - Viking 1 lands on Mars. The first successful landing mission on the Red Planet.

mzCpSZ3.jpg

• Like 2

And in the 50 years since then, have only really started to make new advances toward manned space flight recently. Space X with those reusable rockets, and I guess Virgin Galactic with the commercial space plane.

Space Shuttle doesn't count, as cool as it was. Designed during the tail end of the Apollo era.

I don't think you can dismiss the Shuttle so easily, given its significance for 3 decades and the incredible legacy that is the International Space Station.

Apollo was the space equivalent of the Vikings landing in North America. A hugely ambitious and risky mission which stretched the available technology to the limit. It's understandable that there's been a lengthy gap to let technological advancements reach a level suitable to enable further human deep space exploration.

AS11-40-5875HR-640x644.jpg

7 years later.....

viking-1-lander-mars-surface-e-vandencbulek-nasa.jpg

I screwed up the previous posting, so I made another. :)

Edited by Principled Man

I f*ckin love space.

Taking off into interstellar space in an alien spacecraft, probably never to return? I would go without hesitation.

Just call me Roy Neary!!

tumblr_or3rvvqDq61up6xcso4_500.gif