Book Signing Question

cgfcgf

At book signing is it just "To John Geddy Lee".

Or can I ask for "To John...I threw you at shirt in Saratoga...Enjoy the book...Keep Rocking.... Geddy Lee"

Also...do he do "selfies" or mind if pictures got taken while he was signing??

Its a gift for my son...I want to make it as great as possible.

Or can I ask for "To John...I threw you at shirt in Saratoga...Enjoy the book...Keep Rocking.... Geddy Lee"

There are others here that have already gone to some of the signings; they might be able to answer the personalization question better than I can, ??!!??

As far as a photo goes, no selfies are allowed. Geddy is behind a signing table and the line has to keep moving. However, people who have been to other signings suggest having someone behind you in line take a photo of you and he "together" while he is signing your book; that is allowed. I guess a few of the bookstores have had an employee willing to do that as well but it's not everywhere. What a great idea to have it be a gift for your son- that's awesome!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

There are others here that have already gone to some of the signings; they might be able to answer the personalization question better than I can, ??!!??

As far as a photo goes, no selfies are allowed. Geddy is behind a signing table and the line has to keep moving. However, people who have been to other signings suggest having someone behind you in line take a photo of you and he "together" while he is signing your book; that is allowed. I guess a few of the bookstores have had an employee willing to do that as well but it's not everywhere. What a great idea to have it be a gift for your son- that's awesome!

Yup that's exactly what I did.

NF6RolN.jpg

• Like 2

And no, Geddy doesn't do requests for special signatures. They mostly give you the book with a sticky note with your name on it. Geddy reads it, writes your name and signs it. In the above picture, you can see the white note with my name on it. I think I only got about 20 seconds of face time with him. The line went really fast. I think I got to see him about 20 minutes earlier than my originally scheduled time.

I'd say take that moment to say something to him. I was thrust right in front of him, froze up and said "hi" lol. Then he signed it, I said "thank you" and kept going. My head went totally blank because I was starstruck. But the thank you was for much more than his book and I'm happy I was able to say it to him.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 2

And no, Geddy doesn't do requests for special signatures. They mostly give you the book with a sticky note with your name on it. Geddy reads it, writes your name and signs it. In the above picture, you can see the white note with my name on it. I think I only got about 20 seconds of face time with him. The line went really fast. I think I got to see him about 20 minutes earlier than my originally scheduled time.

I'd say take that moment to say something to him. I was thrust right in front of him, froze up and said "hi" lol. Then he signed it, I said "thank you" and kept going. My head went totally blank because I was starstruck. But the thank you was for much more than his book and I'm happy I was able to say it to him.

It’s cool, there’s not much else you can do with that little time anyway.

• Like 1

Here's a minor criticism I have regarding the book signings with Geddy below.

According to a couple of articles posted here and here, Geddy comments about how fans spend 'a couple of minutes and/or 2 minutes' interacting with him about what RUSH means to them.

The truth of the matter is that the book signings are really 20-30 seconds of interaction just like the former in-person 'meet-and-greets' with both Geddy and Alex due to the 'queue of people' waiting in line.

In some ways, there's slightly more interaction time with Geddy if fans attend the audience participation 'question and answer' events included with the fan book signings.

I think Geddy's PR team really need to set proper expectations (via what's posted in the media) promoting these appearance events of the specific rules are regarding book signings and interaction time.

Edited by RushFanForever

I've been to two signing events in Europe.

Signature:

If you keep your personal message short, he’ll probably sign it the way you’d like to have it. I wrote The girl with the Dirk bag on my sticky note as my name and he copied that onto the page. I brought my Dirk bag that got me on the R40 DVD with me to the event and during the few seconds I had with him at the signing table I managed to have a short conversation with him about the bag and the DVD. He even remembered the bag from the video. I also gave him a Dirk bag and he really appreciated that. I told him that it was my husband’s idea to bring that bag with me to Toronto and when he signed my husband’s copy of the book (he had only written his name on the sticky note) Geddy added a cool extra note that said Good idea! Super cool!!! :7up:

Photo:

I’ve helped out a couple of fans who came on their own to the event in Amsterdam. They were waiting in line behind me. I was at the event together with my husband and while he waited with our books after Ged had signed them (the sig has to dry for a least 15 mins) in another part of the bookstore I was able to film them during their 15 seconds m&g.

If you’re standing let’s say halfway in the queue then there’s plenty of time to check out if there is someone waiting nearby willing to help you out.

Exchange phone numbers so that they can send you the video via whatsapp. The best thing about video is that you can choose which frame is the best for THE ultimate souvenir photo afterwards.

Have fun at the event :cheers:

• Like 2

Bring your son to the signing - he'll probably appreciate that more.

• Like 2

I’m sure you could always ask him if he’ll write an extra little few words in there. He may say, no and/or be annoyed if you ask for a lot of writing, but a couple of words he might indulge, you never know. He was really sweet when I went. I got a photo of my son getting his book signed, not myself—no posed shots, only candid shots from the line were allowed.
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I have made my plan based on all the feedback.

I will have him meet him.

It will be a total surprise as I have already fake asked my son to help me with moving somebody from my job Thursday (Brookline/Boston)...at some point into the ride he will probably ask what's going on...I will hold the surprise as long as possible.

From all your responses I think the short 30 second meet and greet will be more better for him.

He has played bass for a while now (he's 21 now and started when he was 12ish) and Geddy was his first music idol.

Thanks again to everybody...have a great summer...keep rockin...

• Like 3

Update! I just went to Chicago last night and probably made a huge, giggly idiot out of myself. I don't even think I mentioned music once other than being made to play bassoon over bass. Thank god he meets 600+ people at these events because he won't even remember what I'm over analyzing today. This is the first time I've been genuinely starstruck.

He will write out additional requests written on the post-it. I had a short line of lyrics "an air of joie de vivre" and he accidentally wrote "devivre" and apologized saying it was "a bit of writing". He was incredibly nice about it, extremely laid back - and I thanked him profusely. :LOL: As long as it's short and you're not a dick about it, he seems to be happy to add some flair.

Security was really tight and didn't allow the person behind us to hold up phones or cameras. That doesn't seem to be the case at other places, but don't count on being able to get yourself in a candid.

Overall, it was a fun event and I would totally pay for it again.

• Like 4

Update! I just went to Chicago last night and probably made a huge, giggly idiot out of myself. I don't even think I mentioned music once other than being made to play bassoon over bass. Thank god he meets 600+ people at these events because he won't even remember what I'm over analyzing today. This is the first time I've been genuinely starstruck.

He will write out additional requests written on the post-it. I had a short line of lyrics "an air of joie de vivre" and he accidentally wrote "devivre" and apologized saying it was "a bit of writing". He was incredibly nice about it, extremely laid back - and I thanked him profusely. :LOL: As long as it's short and you're not a dick about it, he seems to be happy to add some flair.

Security was really tight and didn't allow the person behind us to hold up phones or cameras. That doesn't seem to be the case at other places, but don't count on being able to get yourself in a candid.

Then why does it say here that 'photographs are only allowed from the signing line' under view details?

I think fans should take a 'print out' of this with them to show security that it says photographs are allowed.

Edited by RushFanForever

Then why does it say here that 'photographs are only allowed from the signing line' under view details?

I think fans should take a 'print out' of this with them to show security that it says photographs are allowed.

Photos are allowed from the line. But, if you're next in line (essentially no longer in line because you're next and each person gets 30 seconds or less) holding up everyone else because you're taking candids of your buddy, I see why they would try to knock that off. I think each venue has different sense of leniency on that; a friend at the previous signing had a much better set of photos. It's also not a photo-based meet and greet, I paid face value of the book and got a free autograph and a few candid pics from it. Some cons/events charge $175+ for similar interactions, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it.

• Like 1

So we went last night and it was totally worth it. We got there around 6:40 for a 6:00 start time. I guess his flight was delayed so it started late. We waited in line for a little over 2 hours. By the time we got to the front of the store we could see him through the store's glass front as he was stationed sort of towards the front of the store. I didn't have a ticket (my son had it) but they let me go through the store with him. the line went past him to the back of the store then back to the front to the signing area (you got to sort of see him up close while waiting in line). Since I wasn't getting a book signed I actually browsed through the store and walked up next to where he was signing just to get some extra time so close to one of my music idols.

I hopped back in line with my son about 3 people away from signing. I then hung back and took about 12 pictures and I actually leaned into the table a little to try to center them both in the picture.

My son nicely said "could you do me a favor...could you sign it...you threw a shirt at me..." as we were lucky enough to catch a shirt in Saratoga during the time machine tour.

He said sure. My rock and roll heart melted as he looked at my son and was very genuine. My son had a solid 30 seconds with him got to say how much that shirt meant to him, thanked him and also got a fist bump in the process.

There was a gap to the next person and I probably could have fist bumped him or tried to say something clever but only complimented him on his Le Studio shirt (raising money to try to refurbished the famed studio site).

My only regret was that I didn't take a selfie with my son with him in the background or that I didn't say thank you and have a great retirement.

I'm sure each venue is different but there was no real security saying what or what not to do. To me, everybody was cool and there was no real reason to need security.

The event was supposed to end at 9:00 but we doubled back past the store at around 9:10 and there was still around 50 - 75 people and it looked like he was going to stay and complete the signing.

All in all a class act and seemed real...very much like we see on the videos and interviews.

Geddy's parents raised him well and I'm glad my kids like the group and consider him one of their music idols.

A great night and a great memory.

I'll post a picture if I can figure it out.

Thanks again to everyone with their comments thoughts and advice.

• Like 5

So we went last night and it was totally worth it. We got there around 6:40 for a 6:00 start time. I guess his flight was delayed so it started late. We waited in line for a little over 2 hours. By the time we got to the front of the store we could see him through the store's glass front as he was stationed sort of towards the front of the store. I didn't have a ticket (my son had it) but they let me go through the store with him. the line went past him to the back of the store then back to the front to the signing area (you got to sort of see him up close while waiting in line). Since I wasn't getting a book signed I actually browsed through the store and walked up next to where he was signing just to get some extra time so close to one of my music idols.

I hopped back in line with my son about 3 people away from signing. I then hung back and took about 12 pictures and I actually leaned into the table a little to try to center them both in the picture.

My son nicely said "could you do me a favor...could you sign it...you threw a shirt at me..." as we were lucky enough to catch a shirt in Saratoga during the time machine tour.

He said sure. My rock and roll heart melted as he looked at my son and was very genuine. My son had a solid 30 seconds with him got to say how much that shirt meant to him, thanked him and also got a fist bump in the process.

There was a gap to the next person and I probably could have fist bumped him or tried to say something clever but only complimented him on his Le Studio shirt (raising money to try to refurbished the famed studio site).

My only regret was that I didn't take a selfie with my son with him in the background or that I didn't say thank you and have a great retirement.

I'm sure each venue is different but there was no real security saying what or what not to do. To me, everybody was cool and there was no real reason to need security.

The event was supposed to end at 9:00 but we doubled back past the store at around 9:10 and there was still around 50 - 75 people and it looked like he was going to stay and complete the signing.

All in all a class act and seemed real...very much like we see on the videos and interviews.

Geddy's parents raised him well and I'm glad my kids like the group and consider him one of their music idols.

A great night and a great memory.

I'll post a picture if I can figure it out.

Thanks again to everyone with their comments thoughts and advice.

awesome

“Photographs are allowed” seems like it could have a very flexible meaning. That is, you can’t take a million selfies of you & Geddy but you can take some pics from some area in line (with each particular establishment determining where that area is).

• Like 4

“Photographs are allowed” seems like it could have a very flexible meaning. That is, you can’t take a million selfies of you & Geddy but you can take some pics from some area in line (with each particular establishment determining where that area is).

Thats how it was exactly at the one I went to. It seemed to be mainly geared towards not slowing down the line... which photos inevitably do.

• Like 2

Also meant as previously said that everyone was taking photos of other folks at the signing table.. friends and strangers alike.

• Like 2