For fans of Toto, The Who and Judas Priest

Phillips is the guy who Tama used in their ads way back when, correct?

You're getting some HUGE interviews Rod. Kudos.

Thanks!!!! This one was special to me because I approached Simon myself, and this was not through a PR agency. You can tell how passionate I was about speaking with him when you listen to the interview.

• Like 2

Thanks!!!! This one was special to me because I approached Simon myself, and this was not through a PR agency. You can tell how passionate I was about speaking with him when you listen to the interview.

Good on you, man! He's one of the great rock drummers, and supposed to be an excellent clinician and a nice guy. And his discography is ridiculous.

Suck it, Geoff Tate! :P

Better PM Earl and tell him to put on a diaper, cuz he's gonna sh*t himself when he hears about this. :yes: CAPS ON!!!!! SIMON RULEZ, FOOLZ!

http://mikedolbear.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SimonPhillipsMDcom00002.jpg

• Like 1

Rod, please be very careful. You're doing so well, Rolling Stone will be calling to offer you a job.

We don't want to lose you to those vile heathens....!! :P :P

• Like 1

Rod, please be very careful. You're doing so well, Rolling Stone will be calling to offer you a job.

No way!

I do want this to go to the next level and actually get paid to do interviews - I'm actively looking for a vehicle that could pay me. But Rolling Stone? Not a chance.

Why would he accept a job with a dying rag like Rolling Stone anyways lol. Blabbermouth, which is a big metal/rock news site, has posted some of Rod's interviews. So, he's already made it.

It seems he's having fun with this gig and has a little bit of freedom when it comes to who he interviews.

No way!

I do want this to go to the next level and actually get paid to do interviews - I'm actively looking for a vehicle that could pay me. But Rolling Stone? Not a chance.

You're not getting paid for this? Well, that's bullshit.

No way!

I hear Hit Parader is getting back together .... no, wait. They suck, too....

http://www.mcrueloyalty.dk/images/mag%20cover/85-86/1985%20aug%20Hit%20parader%20usa.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops:

• Like 1

When you get Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, I’m carrying your equipment bag to the interview.

• Like 1

When you get Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, I’m carrying your equipment bag to the interview.

Guys like that are virtually impossible. We tried Bruce Dickinson, Stewart Copeland, Geddy, Alex and a couple of others, and sometimes even getting a NO is challenging. Most the time they don't even bother replying. I did get to talk to 4 members of Dream Theater though, including Mike Portnoy.

• Like 1

I interviewed Simon Phillips, who played with Priest, The Who, Toto, Jack Bruce and MANY more...

...including Peter Gabriel, Zappa, Jeff Beck, Brian Eno, Michael Schenker, David Gilmour, Joe Satriani, Big Country, Whitesnake...

Helluva a drummer! Congrats on the interview.

• Like 1

Rush on Rod... your work is getting better and better, I can smell Alex on the horizon :LOL: :smoke:

Came here to listen a few minutes and boom... one hour later, I'm still here (incl. Give Blood) Great closer, Rod!

Wow, was he talkative and on fire!? Simon says... boys and girls and others!

At one point I even thought he's starting a drum solo on his desk. Fing great stuff, Rod!!! :haz:

P.S.: His work with Mike Oldfield is a criminaly overlooked peak in his career. He himself seems to have forgotten about.

P.P.S.: The DarWin album Origin Of Species is a prog monster.

P.P.P.S.: If you wanna find out more about the WHO tragedy start here...

https://en.wikipedia...oncert_disaster

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 1

Thanks man! I actually have the interview recorded on video...w would have published the video, but Simon's connection wasn't great, so his voice kept breaking up here and there. I'm glad you liked it!

I tried Alex a gazillion times already. Maybe one day, eh?

I sent this to Earl... hahah

Hello my brother!! I am very excited to finally sit down tonight and listen!

As you know Rod, Simon is my second favorite drummer on the Earth. As of today is is the greatest active drummer on the Earth thanks to Neil's much needed retirement.

I could write a book about my knowledge about Simon.

I was very to meet him a few times as I told you in an email today.

He was so sweet and soooooo nice to me! We did a meet and greet with him before the Protocol show. I was able to ask him a few questions about his short Priest days. Especially about the recording process with Priest on the epic "Sin After Sin" record.

At the end of the show he came running out to the table to start signing stuff for other fans. It was so cool Rod. I took my dad and we sat in the very front at a nice table.

Upon running out to the table he ran up to me first and he said to me..... "hey did you enjoy the show? I said "Heck yes Simon! You ROCK!" He said. "Thank you I keep watching you do air drumming to my drum fills. Very nice." I thanked him and shook his hand firmly. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat!

I have to include my favorite Simon Phillips records of all time. We all know The Who, but I love his stuff on "most" of the Pete Townshend solo albums!

"Empty Glass"

"All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" (my favorite album by Pete to drum too!)

"White City" "Give Blood" makes my soul shift into overdrive. Voted BEST DRUMMING ON A SONG in Modern Drummer back in 1985.

"Iron Man"

SIMON RULES!!!!!!!!

His Protocol stuff is amazing. Also check out all the albums he is on with Hiromi. A pianist prodigy. I saw Hiromi live with Simon too. Blew my fuckking mind.

• Like 2

Yeah, I went for a run listening to a Protocol album of 2017 tonight, it's truly amazing. I'd love it if this interview got a lot of views, and shared it all over the place. If you guys could help me with that, that would be much appreciated.