1971: Led Zeppelin IV or Who's Next?

Texas King

Led Zeppelin IV or Who's Next?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Led Zeppelin IV or Who's Next?

• Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
    • The Who - Who's Next
  2. 2. Your favorite track from either album?

• Black Dog
    • Rock and Roll
    • The Battle of Evermore
    • Stairway to Heaven
    • Misty Mountain Hop
    • Four Sticks
    • Going to California
    • When the Levee Breaks
    • Baba O'Riley
    • Bargain
    • Love Ain't for Keeping
    • My Wife
    • The Song Is Over
    • Getting in Tune
    • Going Mobile
    • Behind Blue Eyes
    • Won't Get Fooled Again

Hmmm

I'm noticing lately I'm always on the losing side. :(

Should I be worried? :unsure:

It means you're more hip than the majority! :)

• Like 1

Those 7 Moodies albums are great. but SOOOOOOOOOOOOO dated, lol.

a person will either take to them right away or their eyes will roll so hard their skull will crack, lol.

Mick

They are dated. I was going to post that but then thought not all of them are and he might like them.

to me it's the poetry that makes me cringe.

i don't think it was needed. the music didn't need help, lol

Mick

You had to be there to appreciate it at the time. ;)

• Like 1

Zep stole too much for me to ever give them a vote over a Who album.

That’s such a tired cliche.

Haven't accepted the truth of it?

No. Only the stupidity.
  • Like 2

No. Only the stupidity.

No way in heck that Spirit song was ever as great as Stairway. So I don't really care who wrote the opening chords. Far as the others artists they ripped off, Zep didn't play it first, but they played it incredibly well. So again, I don't really care who wrote it.

• Like 1

No. Only the stupidity.

No way in heck that Spirit song was ever as great as Stairway. So I don't really care who wrote the opening chords. Far as the others artists they ripped off, Zep didn't play it first, but they played it incredibly well. So again, I don't really care who wrote it.

Copying, borrowing and stealing other riffs and songs? It's one of the founding principles of Rock & Roll music. Bands have been doing it forever. The only time it becomes a "scandal" is when people are fighting over money.

Rock & Roll has always been 5% innovation and 95% imitation.

• Like 2

I'm going to put a similar spin on Principled Man's comment.

Art, and especially music in general has always been about 'beg, borrow, or steal' in a way.

'Riffs' can cause 'rifts' to occur because when it's about 'money' it isn't 'funny' at that point.

The above situation is like

to quote Guns N Roses.
  • Like 2

No. Only the stupidity.

Copying, borrowing and stealing other riffs and songs? It's one of the founding principles of Rock & Roll music. Bands have been doing it forever. The only time it becomes a "scandal" is when people are fighting over money.

Riffs yes. Even Rush has done that. But stealing riffs isn't the same as stealing melodies and lyrics. A song is the melody and lyrics, i.e., the intellectual property. I don't mind that Zeppelin used other songwriters' material. It helped them develop a style that became a huge influence on rock 'n' roll. It's the stealing of the credit and the profit that makes them douches.

Edited by Three Eyes

No. Only the stupidity.

Led Zeppelin stole songs and there is no Santa Claus. Sorry to break the news to you. Some reading for the triggered.

https://www.rollings...ip-offs-223419/

Zeppelin revolutionized the integration of the blues into rock-and-roll, and Jimmy Page was behind it, not the Easter Bunny.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are enlightening no one with these "revelations".

:hail:

• Like 1

No. Only the stupidity.

Riffs yes. Even Rush has done that. But stealing riffs isn't the same as stealing melodies and lyrics. A song is the melody and lyrics, i.e., the intellectual property. I don't mind that Zeppelin used other songwriters' material. It helped them develop a style that became a huge influence on rock 'n' roll. It's the stealing of the credit and the profit that makes them douches.

A successful entertainer that didn't give full credit?!?

How-to-make-a-blog-that-make-readers-gasp-and-cry-585x334.jpg

• Like 2

No. Only the stupidity.

Jerks? Sure. Most rock stars are jerks. A quick look into rock's 2nd biggest soap opera, Van Halen, provides a great example. Page and Plant absolutely stole songs from other artists and never gave the originals any credit. If I were any one of those artists, I'd be pissed. But I'm just a young, casual Led Zeppelin fan listening to their records repeatedly some 40-50 years later. Frankly, I doubt most of the artists they stole from would say that the Zeppelin versions aren't worth listening to.

• Like 1

No. Only the stupidity.

On behalf of the Roy Lichtenstein estate, I demand you give due credit for that post.
  • Like 2

No. Only the stupidity.

On behalf of the Roy Lichtenstein estate, I demand you give due credit for that post.

:LOL:
  • Like 1

I think Who's Next is the Who's best album, by far. With that said, I gotta go with Zeppelin. There's not a wasted second on Led Zeppelin IV.

As someone who escaped all these songs on the radio, I am grateful that I can listen to IV at it sounds fresh!

And Who's Next is the first album I loved of The Who. I need to hear more!

But IV is great

• Like 2