1971: Led Zeppelin IV or Who's Next?

Texas King

Led Zeppelin IV or Who's Next?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Led Zeppelin IV or Who's Next?

• Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
    • The Who - Who's Next
  2. 2. Your favorite track from either album?

• Black Dog
    • Rock and Roll
    • The Battle of Evermore
    • Stairway to Heaven
    • Misty Mountain Hop
    • Four Sticks
    • Going to California
    • When the Levee Breaks
    • Baba O'Riley
    • Bargain
    • Love Ain't for Keeping
    • My Wife
    • The Song Is Over
    • Getting in Tune
    • Going Mobile
    • Behind Blue Eyes
    • Won't Get Fooled Again

I must be a poser, cuz I can’t find it in me to vote against LZ IV, and my favorite song there truly is Stairway To Heaven.

Overplayed because both the album and song are brilliant.
  • Like 3

the Who has never grabbed me whatsoever)

Mick

It took me three decades to learn to appreciate them. I hated them in high school and college.
  • Like 2

IV has never been my favourite Zep, and I can't be alone with feeling a little weary at the thought of listening to it again. But I haven't listened to Who's Next, except the fantastic Baba O'Riley... so IV and that, if pushed.

i knew every song on IV before ever owning it. So overplayed here. and i honestly never need to hear IV ever again.

may seem harsh but i'm not lyin' lol

Mick

So that just means its one helluva great album. GOAT
  • Like 1

IV has never been my favourite Zep, and I can't be alone with feeling a little weary at the thought of listening to it again. But I haven't listened to Who's Next, except the fantastic Baba O'Riley... so IV and that, if pushed.

i knew every song on IV before ever owning it. So overplayed here. and i honestly never need to hear IV ever again.

may seem harsh but i'm not lyin' lol

Mick

So that just means its one helluva great album. GOAT

you useing the term GOAT isn't making the album any more appealing :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Mick

There are a lot of Zep songs I love, but none of my Top 10 sit on IV. I think it makes a big difference if you discover music years after it was created, and there's crazy expectations built around them. So Stairway could never be as good as I had expected.

As for the suggestion that I need to fix the Who-sized gap in my collection... gotta draw the line somewhere :tsk:

• Like 1

There are a lot of Zep songs I love, but none of my Top 10 sit on IV. I think it makes a big difference if you discover music years after it was created, and there's crazy expectations built around them. So Stairway could never be as good as I had expected.

As for the suggestion that I need to fix the Who-sized gap in my collection... gotta draw the line somewhere :tsk:

i've had the hype up problem with many an album.

Too Often with all the hype from people you build it up in your own mind. and it's very hard for the album to live up.

Best eample for me is Pet Sounds.

YEARS of "GREATEST ALBUM EVER MADE!!!!!!!!"

And...........it fell flat as a pancake for me, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I haven't listened to Who's Next, except the fantastic Baba O'Riley...

source.gif

Yup! Ibanez, you should really give it a listen.

Yes, Ibanez. Humor us. Listen to it. I'll make it easy for you:

Would you mind doing this for all the other classic albums I may have missed too? I'm open to listening, but pretty lazy ;)
  • Like 1

source.gif

Would you mind doing this for all the other classic albums I may have missed too? I'm open to listening, but pretty lazy ;)

Make a list of ‘classic’ albums that you’ve never heard!

• Like 2

source.gif

Friends have had some luck listening from YouTube- I think there are playlists of Rolling Stone Magazines greatest songs of all time and greatest albums of all time. It might be a start.

• Like 1

source.gif

What have you never heard that you consider a classic album?

• Like 1

source.gif

Well... I read things here about bands that I have intrinsically not liked for whatever reason. I really enjoy intelligent lyrics, and also love guitar instrumentals - better than dumb lyrics. I have everything by the people I do like but probably nothing if they're not listed on my profile. So, no Queen, no Maiden, Who, Tull, no Yes, Genesis or King Crimson, and certainly no pop/soul/reggae/rap... drawers and racks and cupboards full of everything by guitar virtuosos but then Dylan and Neil Young and Steve Earle too. What would you consider classic albums, like Lorraine's Top 10? I am in need of some new or new-old music and am open to ideas :bitchslap:
  • Like 1

source.gif

Friends have had some luck listening from YouTube- I think there are playlists of Rolling Stone Magazines greatest songs of all time and greatest albums of all time. It might be a start.

I am in a bit of a rut, but there's a worse way to live than the beautiful comfort of familiar music. Got some days off coming up, might have a trawl through the RS archives.

source.gif

Well... I read things here about bands that I have intrinsically not liked for whatever reason. I really enjoy intelligent lyrics, and also love guitar instrumentals - better than dumb lyrics. I have everything by the people I do like but probably nothing if they're not listed on my profile. So, no Queen, no Maiden, Who, Tull, no Yes, Genesis or King Crimson, and certainly no pop/soul/reggae/rap... drawers and racks and cupboards full of everything by guitar virtuosos but then Dylan and Neil Young and Steve Earle too. What would you consider classic albums, like Lorraine's Top 10? I am in need of some new or new-old music and am open to ideas :bitchslap:

I'm the resident dinosaur that only likes, as Mick calls it, dinosaur music. Are you sure you want my Top 10?

• Like 1

source.gif

I'm the resident dinosaur that only likes, as Mick calls it, dinosaur music. Are you sure you want my Top 10?

the sixties and seventies are so rich, if I was told I could ONLY listen to music from that era, I could happily survive! I still have so much left to discover for myself!
  • Like 3

source.gif

the sixties and seventies are so rich, if I was told I could ONLY listen to music from that era, I could happily survive! I still have so much left to discover for myself!

They were rich. Music kept coming at us - great band after great band. Only today do I fully realize the gift of having lived during that time.

Being here on TRF has taught me a lot about music, and I listen to it a lot differently today. Being here has helped me appreciate what I grew up with in a way I never have before.

• Like 3

source.gif

They were rich. Music kept coming at us - great band after great band. Only today do I fully realize the gift of having lived during that time.

Being here on TRF has taught me a lot about music, and I listen to it a lot differently today. Being here has helped me appreciate what I grew up with in a way I never have before.

Absolutely.

I was born in 1973, which my mother always said was about 20 years too late, considering my tastes, haha.

But what you said about that period of time is very true, and I think it has to do also with just the status and evolution of pop and rock and roll music up to that time...along with the recording technology being what it was, especially from about 1970 to ‘77 or so- everything just so warm and well-rounded, sonically.

Also, it’s wonderful to be able to hear/listen and appreciate music that’s so familiar to you in an entirely new way, as you said.

• Like 4

I must be a poser, cuz I can’t find it in me to vote against LZ IV, and my favorite song there truly is Stairway To Heaven.

Overplayed because both the album and song are brilliant.

A fascinating love/hate environment has been created. People are obviously still calling up classic rock stations and requesting it. There are also many people who wince when the song comes on, cause they're so sick of hearing it. Radio stations are caught between the two factions.

• Like 3