Jump to content


Presto: Rush's most awkward era


  • Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#121 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

View Postchemistry1973, on 12 August 2019 - 06:57 PM, said:

Is putting  “a pineapple in one’s tapioca pudding” a euphemism for something?

Probably as nasty as it sounds.

Sponsored Post

#122 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3186 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 15 July 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

View Postjnoble, on 11 July 2019 - 09:53 PM, said:

Funny thing about Rush is the albums in the later era of the band they didn't care much for (Presto, Counterparts) I like a lot while the ones they really seemed to love (Snakes, Clockwork) are drinkcoasters at my place I rarely if ever listen to because aside from a handful of songs they're hot garbage

Everything I’ve read points to them liking Counterparts very much. But yeah, they really seemed to love Snakes and Clockwork. Snakes is neglected and not missed at my place. I skip half of Clockwork but what I don’t skip I really enjoy

Yes. I remember an article where Geddy cited Counterparts as one of his favorites and an important album for the band. Alex absolutely loved it because he was at the forefront again. I think they liked CP very much...Personally, I think it's Rush's last true masterpiece...

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone, 14 August 2019 - 12:51 PM.


#123 jnoble

jnoble

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1471 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

Where did you see that? Alex & Geddy are both on record (no pun intended lol) not happy with CP. I believe its mentioned in a couple of the Martin Popoff books.  Alex didn't like some of the lyrics while Geddy complained "there were too many compromises" while making it plus he and Alex had a lot of fights during, probably over how and where to use keyboards in the songs. Not sure what Neil thought about it.

#124 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 74470 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:52 AM

View Postjnoble, on 15 August 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

Where did you see that? Alex & Geddy are both on record (no pun intended lol) not happy with CP. I believe its mentioned in a couple of the Martin Popoff books.  Alex didn't like some of the lyrics while Geddy complained "there were too many compromises" while making it plus he and Alex had a lot of fights during, probably over how and where to use keyboards in the songs.
Wiki agrees.

https://en.m.wikiped...terparts_(album)

#125 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 9067 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 19 July 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

"Presto" is one of the greatest albums on the Earth.

Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one.

So cliche and yet so true.

Melodic and slick production.  Some of Neil's best lyrics.

Keep smoking that crack rock kids!

"Anagram (For Mongo)" is a masterpiece.  Nice homage to "Blazing Saddles!"  Hello????????

The record is amazing.  Love the keyboards.  Even the keys in "Red Tide."  So melodic.

I guess you so called Rush Fans don't like melody in your music.

Enjoy "Vapor Trails." then.  Pure shite.

#SAFE

JMO!

The only way I enjoy Presto is with my Vape Pen!

Sincerely,

Huff and Puff Magic Hour

#126 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 06 July 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 06 July 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

"Presto" is a masterpiece.  Every song is great.  Neil's drumming is off the charts.  A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted Image

#127 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 37747 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 17 August 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 19 July 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

"Presto" is one of the greatest albums on the Earth.

Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one.

So cliche and yet so true.

Melodic and slick production.  Some of Neil's best lyrics.

Keep smoking that crack rock kids!

"Anagram (For Mongo)" is a masterpiece.  Nice homage to "Blazing Saddles!"  Hello????????

The record is amazing.  Love the keyboards.  Even the keys in "Red Tide."  So melodic.

I guess you so called Rush Fans don't like melody in your music.

Enjoy "Vapor Trails." then.  Pure shite.

#SAFE

JMO!

The only way I enjoy Presto is with my Vape Pen!

Sincerely,

Huff and Puff Magic Hour

Good one!

#128 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 37747 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostThree Eyes, on 17 August 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 06 July 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 06 July 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Presto has some really good songs on it.

No Rush album is a complete failure.

"Presto" is a masterpiece.  Every song is great.  Neil's drumming is off the charts.  A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted Image

Lol!!  Good point!


#129 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1381 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Philadelphia PA
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

I see Presto(and RTB) as a transitional album from the synth era to the later hard rock revisited era.

#130 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2497 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:51 PM

View Postjnoble, on 15 August 2019 - 09:09 PM, said:

Where did you see that? Alex & Geddy are both on record (no pun intended lol) not happy with CP. I believe its mentioned in a couple of the Martin Popoff books.  Alex didn't like some of the lyrics while Geddy complained "there were too many compromises" while making it plus he and Alex had a lot of fights during, probably over how and where to use keyboards in the songs. Not sure what Neil thought about it.

Page 170 of Contents Under Pressure by Martin Popoff here.

#131 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2497 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

View Postchemistry1973, on 07 July 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

f***ing awesome song and amazing video.

Which is special because Rush rarely makes a good video:

The Pass:

https://vimeo.com/142775642/comments

And WTF. Why can’t you find the official video on YouTube????

It's right below.



#132 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 37747 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:22 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 19 August 2019 - 10:58 PM, said:

View Postchemistry1973, on 07 July 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

f***ing awesome song and amazing video.

Which is special because Rush rarely makes a good video:

The Pass:

https://vimeo.com/142775642/comments

And WTF. Why can’t you find the official video on YouTube????

It's right below.



A masterpiece.

I saw the "Presto" Tour four times. Geddy would always say how much they all loved this song.  

"Christ what have you done?"

Amazing!

#133 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 37747 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

"Presto" and "awkward" should not be in the same sentence, but what a great thread.

"Presto" is perfect for me, but I guess it was lacking some bass.  Even though I'm a drummer I am a treble guy so I guess I just didn't give a shit.

So "Presto" is Metallica's "And Justice For All?"

#134 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34181 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:55 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 19 August 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

"Presto" and "awkward" should not be in the same sentence, but what a great thread.

"Presto" is perfect for me, but I guess it was lacking some bass.  Even though I'm a drummer I am a treble guy so I guess I just didn't give a shit.

So "Presto" is Metallica's "And Justice For All?"

And Presto for All

#135 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 34181 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:25 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 19 August 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

"Presto" and "awkward" should not be in the same sentence, but what a great thread.

"Presto" is perfect for me, but I guess it was lacking some bass.  Even though I'm a drummer I am a treble guy so I guess I just didn't give a shit.

So "Presto" is Metallica's "And Justice For All?"

I can’t remember anything
Can’t tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me
I radiate more heat than light



#136 ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rahway, NJ USA
  • Interests:Musician, fitness.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:56 AM

I think Neil’s physical pain was brought upon himself by all the endless motorcycle riding in between gigs for the last 20 years of touring. That takes a toll on the body believe it or not. It’s a double edged sword, it took a toll on his body, but if Neil wasn’t able to ride his bike between gigs then he probably wouldn’t have toured. He seemed to just use the Rush tours in recent years as an excuse to just explore roads in North America.

Bottom line. He retired because IMO, he lost the fire for drumming. He had a new family and wants to be part of it. Nothing wrong with that and I can’t fault the guy.

Who knows, maybe if it’s true that his daughter is taking up drumming that mate she’ll inspire him to get that fire back and maybe do something. But I doubt that’ll be touring .

#137 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostModernDayWarrior, on 24 August 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

Who knows, maybe if it’s true that his daughter is taking up drumming that mate she’ll inspire him to get that fire back and maybe do something. But I doubt that’ll be touring .

Oh, I think at four years removed from it (and he’ll be 67 years old next month, btw), I don’t think he’s going to get the fire back in him to start playing again.

But that’s interesting his daughter is taking it up, I didn’t know that.

But anyway, about Presto...


#138 Blue J

Blue J

    Official SOCN Designated Driver

  • Members *
  • 20696 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:25 AM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 03 August 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 06 July 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a matter of better or worse, but Freddie definitely refined his drumming, introduced some different technique, and sent it in a direction that it had not gone before.

And I am a musician. But I don’t think that necessarily qualifies my opinion any more than a non-musician.
I'll just say this: the man who played drums on 2112 didn't need lessons from ANYONE!

I understand where you’re coming from...BUT- I would say that Neil was definitely not the same person that he was in 1994-‘95, compared to 1976 (could anyone be, really? I am definitely not the same person that I was nearly 20 years ago. But I digress).

Neil sought out Freddie Gruber because of something he wanted to change, to advance, in his skills. Whether the fans are happy with the results of that are a completely moot point. Neil changed direction because he wanted to. And I can only surmise that he was happy with the results he got. And as far as I can tell, that’s really all that matters.

#139 staunchally

staunchally

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 100 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morristown, NJ
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Psychology, Mountain Climbing, Horseback Riding.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

View Postytserush, on 12 July 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostRelayer2112, on 11 July 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

I think Presto is a great album, though I didn't think so at the time it was released.  I thought it was just ok.  I saw them for the first time on that tour and just remember being really disappointed that they didn't play "Presto".  Afterwards, I wondered if the guitar technology of the time didn't allow for the quick acoustic to electric sound changes needed to play it.  I was overjoyed when I heard they were playing it on the "Time Machine" tour.

As far as Neil's style change, I'm assuming that this was his way of streamlining his part in the recording process by switching over to a more improvisational technique.  Kind of the way they decided after hemispheres that they needed to cut back on the overly complex stuff to maintain their sanity in the studio.

I really wanted to hear Chain Lightning Presto and Available Light. At least we got Presto  21 years later.

I liked Presto when it came out, but I was really preoccupied with Dream Theater in the months before Presto came out.

Interesting. You were a fan when When Dream and Day Unite was new? Did you see them live at the time?

#140 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 93809 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

I rate this record as the worst RUSH album of all.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users